My first Pepakura/first halo cosplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfriordan

Greetings, I am Connor, a rather fresh recruit here, I am no stranger to cosplay, but only recently have broken into armour. I will be attending Dragoncon this year and am desperate to come in a set of custom ODST armour. I've loved the concept since Halo 2 and the design since 3.

I will use this thread to chronicle my inevitable decline into madness as I attempt this ambitious project. Pictures will be up as I go, but please feel free to give wildly liberal advice as I have no idea what I'm doing.

Examples of advice I would like being, should I score with a pen, or exacto knife? Has anyone attempted to plate a near finished pep piece with tin sheet metal, because I want to. Am I even making the right choice with 110 paper over foam? Is super glue really optimal?

Greetings, I am Connor, a rather fresh recruit here, I am no stranger to cosplay, but only recently have broken into armour. I will be attending Dragoncon this year and am desperate to come in a set of custom ODST armour. I've loved the concept since Halo 2 and the design since 3.

I will use this thread to chronicle my inevitable decline into madness as I attempt this ambitious project. Pictures will be up as I go, but please feel free to give wildly liberal advice as I have no idea what I'm doing.

Examples of advice I would like being, should I score with a pen, or exacto knife? Has anyone attempted to plate a near finished pep piece with tin sheet metal, because I want to. Am I even making the right choice with 110 paper over foam? Is super glue really optimal?
Pepakura is mostly used by its self but you could definitely cut out the patterns and transfer them to foam. There are a couple videos online that will tell you how to edit pepakura files to use for foam. And as long as your foam piece or pepakura piece is think or sturdy enough you should have no problem mounting some metal on them.

Paper pep and EVA Foam based modified pep both have their strengths and weaknesses. Paper can offer more detail, but it also involves the use of resin and fiberglass, making the process a little more complicated and unfriendly to those living in Dorms or Apartments due to the fumes.

Foam armor is more flexible, but can be less durable it that it can rip easier and the paint can flex off, and it can be difficult for a first timer to get a higher level of detail.

When I made my paper pep pieces I used two different pens to score the lines, one color for mountain files and one color for valley folds.

Superglue is helpful because you get an almost instant, permanent bond, but the draw back is that you have an instant bond, and lose any kind of wiggle room to realign the piece and fix the fit. I have used a variety of hobby glues in my paper pep projects.

Paper pep and EVA Foam based modified pep both have their strengths and weaknesses. Paper can offer more detail, but it also involves the use of resin and fiberglass, making the process a little more complicated and unfriendly to those living in Dorms or Apartments due to the fumes.

Foam armor is more flexible, but can be less durable it that it can rip easier and the paint can flex off, and it can be difficult for a first timer to get a higher level of detail.

When I made my paper pep pieces I used two different pens to score the lines, one color for mountain files and one color for valley folds.

Superglue is helpful because you get an almost instant, permanent bond, but the draw back is that you have an instant bond, and lose any kind of wiggle room to realign the piece and fix the fit. I have used a variety of hobby glues in my paper pep projects.
Thanks, that's all really helpful information. I've been pouring through every tutorial on here I can find as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back