New Recruit 1st Build Gen 3 MK-VI

ThatADHDad

This is a documentation of my first ever cosplay build. Im new here and to 3d Printing. As of the time of this post, I’ve only been printing about 2.5 months! Several folks have told me I’m nuts or “biting off more than I can chew” trying to do this so quickly. But, I’m a “Learn as you go” type of person, so we shall see. So, here is my progress so far:

First thing I made was the helmet, obviously lol. I used Galactic Armory’s original bulky file because the updated, slimmer, version hadn’t been released yet. Considering I’d only been printing like a week, barely knew how to use the slicing software, and my longest print to this point was like 3 hours whereas this one totaled something like 30 hours… it was rough, but definitely turned out much better than I thought it would. I learned a LOT from it, though. Including the importance of orientation, the line thickness I wanted to use for the suit, the importance of understanding support settings, and more.
1719424252034.jpeg

After that, the new files came out and I started looking them over to figure out how I was going to need to adjust my already laid out plans. I shifted gears and printed the pistol while I figured that out. Once that was done, I attempted and succeeded at scaling the shoulder and forearms, I also printed out the hand pieces.
1719424708358.jpeg

I took another short break, printed out some
Mandalorian stuff and got back to printing the biceps a couple weeks later. Then I test fit what I had and really liked how it was going.
1719424844363.jpeg

At this point, I realized I actually have the ability do finish this project… so I decided to spend the $40 for armorsmith and got started printing a new helmet with the new GA files and updated knowledge.
1719428293098.jpeg
The left is the first, if it wasn’t obvious by the poor quality, and the right is the new file with better orientation and layer lines.
1719425047958.jpeg

After that I went on a bit of a printing bender. I got the chest, back, all the extras pieces for the torso, the groin pieces, and even a calf piece printed out. I even did a Wolverine cowl done and started on a Bo Katan armor set for my daughter!
1719429036931.jpeg

Fast forward to now. All of my construction and post processing stuff finished coming in yesterday, I.e 3d Gloop!, CA and super glues, padding, straps, buckles, elastic straps, magnets, paints, various tools, and more. I spent a couple hours Glooping some of the torso together enough for me to do a very very loose test fit of all I have so far, minus the groin pieces to see where I’m at. Nothing is strapped or in its exact spot, but I did find issues that I need to resolve as well as next steps I think to think about while my calf and thigh pieces are printing.

1719429466291.jpeg

Here’s what I found I need to resolve or figure out:

1. My scaling was a bit off on the torso. Even though it fits me really well and sits quite comfortably, it’s a tad bit wide. It doesn’t really move around, but it does make it so I can’t put my arms down with the bicep pieces on. So I need to decide if I want to reprint the entire torso piece a little more “V” shaped or if I want to reprint the biceps with the inside piece cut out and replaced with either a strap or EVA foam.

2. I know the shoulder piece is suppose to rest on the bicep, but I need to figure out how I want to accomplish that as well as how to fill it in a bit. I’d posted in the fb group and someone suggested spray foam, I think I’ll try that first.

3. I’m still not sure what I want to do with the boots. I do not like the new files that are more like shoe covers. I’d rather have the original files with the soles attached so it’s a full boot and put a shoe inside. I’m not sure how I’m going to accomplish this while also making sure it’s durable enough to hold my weight as well as not on the ground. I thought maybe scaling and printing the OG File minus the very bottom part of the sole print and replacing those with gluable sole repair parts cut to size. I also saw someone on here use Urethane 85 casting as the bottom half inch. That seems awesome but I don’t even begin to know how to look into that or do it.

4. Then the next steps of sanding, gluing, painting, padding, strapping, adding electronics like lights and fans.

Hopefully I can reach my deadline of about a month and a half from now as I’d like to have it for the planet anime con here in Kansas City in October as well as Halloween! I welcome any and all advice, tips, tricks, etc! I am a sponge for knowledge!

1. My scaling was a bit off on the torso. Even though it fits me really well and sits quite comfortably, it’s a tad bit wide. It doesn’t really move around, but it does make it so I can’t put my arms down with the bicep pieces on. So I need to decide if I want to reprint the entire torso piece a little more “V” shaped or if I want to reprint the biceps with the inside piece cut out and replaced with either a strap or EVA foam.
The torso piece can look right but still feel wide just because of the nature of the piece. Some members elect to not have the parts that go under the arm entirely rigid, rather broken up into 2-3 sections and held together by an elastic strap to provide flexibility. I believe that's what JTF4 did with his mk VII suit. Here's a link to his thread.

2. I know the shoulder piece is suppose to rest on the bicep, but I need to figure out how I want to accomplish that as well as how to fill it in a bit. I’d posted in the fb group and someone suggested spray foam, I think I’ll try that first.
Upholstery foam is great for this!

3. I’m still not sure what I want to do with the boots. I do not like the new files that are more like shoe covers. I’d rather have the original files with the soles attached so it’s a full boot and put a shoe inside. I’m not sure how I’m going to accomplish this while also making sure it’s durable enough to hold my weight as well as not on the ground. I thought maybe scaling and printing the OG File minus the very bottom part of the sole print and replacing those with gluable sole repair parts cut to size. I also saw someone on here use Urethane 85 casting as the bottom half inch. That seems awesome but I don’t even begin to know how to look into that or do it.
I elect to use covers so the sole of the actual shoe is what is contacting the ground. Seeing as folks rarely will see the bottom of my shoe, I didn't think this would take away from the aestetic too much. The boots are one of the few places that sacrificing the look a bit to increase the durability is always worth it. I've been to many cons where folks have crafted the bottom of their shoe, whether with foam or flexible prints, and it failed mid-day, cutting their time in cosplay short. Not to say that it's impossible to make your own sole, just make sure its really durable and comfortable. You can see here that I just cover the outside of my boot, leaving the sole exposed:
IMG_3158.JPG

Best of luck on your build!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back