New to 405th, First Attempt using 3D Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornAnarchy

Hi all,

I've been around on 405th for a while (just reading and seeing the cool stuff everyone does), back when I used to be able to view most of the forums and files without being a member but since the update I decided I'd join up. This is my first real attempt at building anything costume/cosplay related and I'm super keen. I'm not particularly artsy or crafty so after a failed trial run using Pepakura, I decided to use the tools at my disposal and go the printing route.

I'd like to also mention a huge thanks to CarterBuilder12 and his files for making this project super easy.

So far I'm really happy with the quality, especially in comparison to the pepakura failure that I had. I'm also printing at .1mm so the detail is awesome, which will hopefully mean less issues regarding sanding/filling later on.

One thing I was hoping someone with some experience in the 3D Printing side of things might be able to answer is regarding supports that the printer does. The first picture is an example of the issue I'm having. It's relatively easily solved with a bit of sanding/filling so I'm not super concerned but it would be even less work if I could resolve this. So far my main solution is any time there are heaps of supports in use, I print on the inside of the helmet so the exterior detail remains high.

20180129_164958.jpg
20180125_170309.jpg
20180129_164020.jpg
20180129_163914.jpg

Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated; hoping to do a full Master-Chief suit eventually (H5), however I'm going to start with the helmet and work from there.

Torn

PS: Sorry I don't know how to delete the full files at the bottom of the post. Keeps telling me it's spam when I try to do it, so not sure what I'm doing wrong...?

20180125_170309.jpg

20180129_164020.jpg

20180129_163914.jpg

20180129_164958.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the 405th (as a non-lurker) and to the world of 3D printing! Those are some clean prints so it looks like you have your Prusa dialed in well. When it comes to support material, it's kind of just the way it is for printing, you either break down models into pieces that can be printed clean without support or come to terms with the reality that support material is inherently messy and kind of wasteful.

Since you have a Prusa you could always look into the option of adding a second print head, use it to print with a dissolvable filament that's used for support material only and then give your printed pieces a bath to melt it away when you're done printing. It'll still leave some texture behind where the support was since you have to loft between supports but it'd overall be quicker for sanding.

I've looked at setting up a second print head but decided that it was easier to just keep going with my method of sanding and spot filling since the top surface will need finishing anyways, might as well do the bottom as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back