ODST for my niece

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heat and head cram worked really well. I put a beany hat on to protect my ears from the heat, and it was a bit more to help squeeze the foam wider.

Now the helmet fits my wife(who has a 10 year olds head haha) with space to spare. Woopwoop

Now just a bit of advice....the inside of the helmet now has the "rough" side of the foam......it kind of irritates the skin when rubbed against it for a while......Get some thin craft foam and glue it on the inside to protect the ears and cheeks from getting rubbed raw. I used contact cement to glue it in to place. if you use hot glue it tends to leave glue tracks which leave bumps in the craft foam....for the inside of a helmet it really doesn't matter, but for those of us that use it for detail pieces and for covering up all of our poorly connected seams.....you know who you are!!!!...we like to keep those glue track lines non-existent.

So, busy night last night and morning today finishing off the paint job for the armour.

Now all that's left is the strapping and a visor. I've had one on order from etsy since 30th Oct but no dispatch yet despite numerous emails. Might have to improvise one.

Any ideas? Suggestions/success you've had with building your own? Bear in mind I've only a week left now...

Cheers in advance.

So, busy night last night and morning today finishing off the paint job for the armour.

Now all that's left is the strapping and a visor. I've had one on order from etsy since 30th Oct but no dispatch yet despite numerous emails. Might have to improvise one.

Any ideas? Suggestions/success you've had with building your own? Bear in mind I've only a week left now...

Cheers in advance.

For a fast and nasty visor......get a 2-3 liter bottle of soda...3 would give you more coverage....drink and enjoy till empty.....cut off top and bottom and slice open...clean thoroughly.....nothing worse than ringing the sugar dinner bell for bugs inside your helmet while wearing it......carefully use a heat gun to shape the plastic to your helmet's interior....cut excess as necessary.....hot glue in place at the corners.......it's going to be a little wonky, but it will get the job done.

And so....the visor didnt arrive in time...doh!

I got all the coke bottle and glue and silver mylar out to build one, then a mate jumped in and saved the day with a spare visor for his masterchief helmet.

Not quite ODST but very good in a pinch.

So here is the finished thing!

And so closes the "ODST for my niece" build. Hope you liked it, and thanks for all the great advice along the way.

Peace out
Joffers Mk 2.

Finished build looks great and it’s awesome you have a niece that’s into Halo !! Another build down and on to the next. Look forward to swing what you come up with next

Fantastic job Joffersmk2!!!! Its one thing for a parent to build a suit for one's own child....but for an uncle to do so.....that's one special guy. You have my vote for "Uncle of the Year". She must have been on cloud 9. Good to have a mate to help out in a pinch like that.

Been upgrading and respraying the pink dots into this for my wife for the next con. Not for ages yet but had some time.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190811-134721_WhatsApp.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190811-134721_WhatsApp.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 110
  • SmartSelect_20190811-134739_WhatsApp.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190811-134739_WhatsApp.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 117
  • SmartSelect_20190811-134820_WhatsApp.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190811-134820_WhatsApp.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.