ODST Helmet made from hockey helmet....HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanStosh

I really want to make an ODST style helmet, but I figure I can start from using an old hockey helmet (saves on time & money, plus makes it somewhat more functional). problem is I have NO idea how to even start. I have read some articles on making the helmets from scratch using molds and what not, should i do the same thing just using only the parts i need? the helmet looks something like this so thats my start. Is this even a good idea? Will the finished product look right?

http://www.davessportshop.net/ice-hockey/protective-equipment/helmet-mask/bauer-5000-hockey-helmet

the problem i see is that the easyest way is use a prep file and do it like everyone else does it here if you have money issues. putting that helmet inside a odst is not going to be easy as well as odds are the odst helmet will have to be oversized to get the helmet to fit. my odst helmet there is not much room inside for my head.

It is a good idea, but the finished product will not look anything like ODST helmet. I would not recommend that you go this route. Read this all-in-one guide first if using the traditional method of making a helmet makes sense to you.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34408-All-In-One-New-Member-Introduction-Guide

It is a good idea, but the finished product will not look anything like ODST helmet. I would not recommend that you go this route. Read this all-in-one guide first if using the traditional method of making a helmet makes sense to you.

Just out of curiosity, why dont you think the finished product will look right? the size/shape of the original helmet? These helmets come apart pretty easily, maybe I could just use certain sections of it? And use the inner most lining/padding so that I know the interior will fit my head properly?

Just out of curiosity, why dont you think the finished product will look right? the size/shape of the original helmet? These helmets come apart pretty easily, maybe I could just use certain sections of it? And use the inner most lining/padding so that I know the interior will fit my head properly?

My brother used to play ice hockey and I am aware the shape of the helmet. I completed ODST costumes for my kids and I know for a fact that ODST helmet is narrow on the front.

ODST_1.jpg

The top of the helmet is rounded. If you use a hockey helmet, you are going to spend a lot of time trying to make it right. Then you have to worry about putting in the side and back, which a hockey helmet is not near that. Finally, will you have the right visor shape. You can't get that by scratchbuilding. Pep a ODST helmet will likely take you 6-8 hours for a noob. Finishing it up will likely take another 8 hours. In 24 hours you can get a replica of an ODST helmet.

Most things are possible in this hobby, and it's certainly not our place to tell you what you can and cannot do. However, coming from a veteran prop builder, I can say that you're likely in for way more work and headaches modifying an existing helmet of this nature into an ODST helmet than if you just started from scratch. This site is a great resource for the pepakura method, which is the go-to method for those people on a budget with limited resources. The members here have learned the process up and down, inside and out, and every way in between. You'll have a quicker, easier time using the pepakura method than trying to re-engineer a product to fit a design it's not intended for. If you're unfamiliar with it, there are plenty of stickies and plenty and people that would be glad to answer your questions and offer you technical assistance if you ask around. If you're dead-set on using the hockey helmet, you could probably use the padding from the helmet in some manner; but then again, it'd just be easier to use a hardhat liner anyways.

My brother used to play ice hockey and I am aware the shape of the helmet. I completed ODST costumes for my kids and I know for a fact that ODST helmet is narrow on the front.

ok that makes sense. I am not completely set on the ODST helmet. What about one of the mjolnir versions? or maybe the scout version? I know work will have to be done to the front/sides/back still but it has to make the process faster since its just the "minor"details right?

AllArmor.png

if you're not too woried about looking cartoonish i would simply do a scratch build, building around the helmet, rather than just making a faceplate type deal for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back