Props questions about painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

locostorm

Jr Member
so I recently bought a halo 5 AR and a halo 5 gunfighter magnum and I was thinking about doing the master control skin on both. The only problem I have is that I have never finished a 3d printed prop and I have no clue how I'm going to do it. Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Check out punished props on youtube. They have lots 3D print finishing tutorials.

For painting.. If it were me I would invest in the a few different sizes of painters tape and some tiny brushes. tape all the little detail lines and spray them first and then make the unsc logo stencil and spray that. then any clean-up I would use a tiny brush.

Last edited:
I'm with electricknite on this, punished props has some great videos on the process of finishing a 3d prop and painting it, they also have a lot of other helpful videos that are heavily worth looking into.
Usually, when you get a 3d printed prop you will have to sand it down a bit and maybe use some spot filler in any gaps or mistakes of the print. Then once the whole prop is smooth, put your spray cans infront of a portable heater on low or put warn water in a container the cans can sit in for a while to heat up, this will give you a nice coat.

Check out punished props on youtube. They have lots 3D print finishing tutorials.

For painting.. If it were me I would invest in the a few different sizes of painters tape and some tiny brushes. tape all the little detail lines and spray them first and then make the unsc logo stencil and spray that. then any clean-up I would use a tiny brush.

I'm with electricknite on this, punished props has some great videos on the process of finishing a 3d prop and painting it, they also have a lot of other helpful videos that are heavily worth looking into.
Usually, when you get a 3d printed prop you will have to sand it down a bit and maybe use some spot filler in any gaps or mistakes of the print. Then once the whole prop is smooth, put your spray cans infront of a portable heater on low or put warn water in a container the cans can sit in for a while to heat up, this will give you a nice coat.

thanks guys. i had one more question for you if you dont mind. do you know how i get some glow in the dark paint? i think it would be cool if it actually did glow. and one final thing, do you know of a place i could get a pic of the master control skin on the gunfighter magnum? ive looked what seems like everywhere to no avail.

I don't know much about glow in the dark paint. My best guess would be to try to find out what the warhammer people use for their model painting. You could look at gun sight paint too

Rustoleum has a line of glow in the dark spray paints. I've never tried them out but I've seen cans at Home Depot.

A safer bet though would be to visit your local gaming/hobby shop and look for their airbrush paints or RC car section. Tamiya colour used to have a glow in the dark spray or there's the Vallejo Textile line or the Vallejo Fluo line which might be easier to come by since I'm not sure if Tamiya still produces it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back