Status
Not open for further replies.

thatdamnjodie

Member DIN
S038
First non-Halo suit build attempt and I couldn't think of anything better to build than a Republic Commando. In particular, Delta-62.

---
35362261_1974628599214358_7225334859705614336_o.jpg 35416844_1612833755505730_3645845472393822208_n.jpg
---
BUILD STATUS:
  • Helmet: Complete
  • Chestpiece/torso: Complete
  • Backpack: Complete
  • Shoulders and biceps: Complete
  • Gauntlets: Complete
  • Codpiece: Complete
  • Thighs: Complete
  • Shins: Complete
  • Boots: Complete
  • DC-17 + anti-armor attachment: Pending
---

I've been wanting to build this suit since I first played the game, but thought it could never be possible to build from scratch. The 501st kept pointing me towards kits, but 1) I have a very small budget and b) I prefer to build my things from scratch.

There aren't a lot of helmet files around the web either. The only one I kept finding is one that I believe is too narrow and squished for my personal taste, and the visor is inaccurate. Sadly, I couldn't find any better helmets that didn't cost $200+ just for the pdo file, so I had to go with it - but not without some alterations! I got my partner to stretch it out before sending it off to a prop builder in a neighboring state for 3D printing*. I instantly fell in love.

helm.PNG

*Usually I try to unfold and build my own helmets, but the obj. file of the bucket was super hi res (cough, 24MB, yikes) and my computer struggled to even open it.

ICYMI, the builder behind the helmet is All Stars Props & Cosplay, and he is fantastic. I definitely recommend him for Australian cosplayers needing a helmet or prop printed for a great price.

After some very long digging, I came across some decent files for the rest of the suit. You can find these files here. I converted the files to foam as a personal preference, and the only things I'll have to freehand will be the boots, elbows and handplates. Easy.

For now I'm finishing off my current build of Alice-130 from Halo Wars in the next two weeks, and then I'll get cracking on building Scorch.

Back soon!

200px-Delta62.jpg

Last edited:
The RC's are definitely one of the few 501st type costumes that I can see being doable this way! Best of luck on your progress!

I'll also be watching this build with interest. I've always loved the RCs and even toyed with trying to pep one in the past, either fiberglass or foam. So, I will be interested to see how your build goes.

UPDATE!!

Sydney Supanova has just confirmed Temuera Morrison will be attending the convention next weekend on the 16th-18th. Jango Fett and Boss-1138. Finally! I didn't have much to be excited for this year's con, but at the last minute they plucked me out of my downer mood.

There's no way I'd be able to get Scorch done in time, but what timing, huh?! I'm not even mad, just dead excited. I've been waiting to meet this guy for years! Will be getting an autograph for sure. I would have loved to get a photo with him in my suit though. :p

Update! My helmet arrived in the mail today, and it looks absolutely gorgeous. Excuse the doggo photobomb.

18985129_1592373034106585_379165513_n.jpg
19021953_1592385567438665_702061882_n.jpg

It'll need a bit of tidying around the edges and a fair bit of padding on the inside as it is a little big for my head, but the space inside is greatly appreciated as I plan to put an el wire behind the brow of the visor and an LED on the right side for a headlamp. I wish I had this much room for my Alice helmet. :p

19021954_1592385070772048_1842753118_n copy.JPG
19046822_1592385220772033_1785787675_n copy.jpg

As the pictures describe, I've drawn inspiration from a few 501st troopers (especially Wicked Armor, *drools) who inserted an el wire for their visors and it really pulls off that perfect glow of blue. Not to mention, I'm learning the ropes of installing lights into my builds now, because hell, costumes are always 10x better with lights!

So with that said, I'll have to make a trip to the shops sometime soon to buy a bunch of supplies such as LEDs, wiring, a soldering kit, resistors, heat shrinkage tubing, etc etc. I have had some experience with soldering and wiring in the past, as I made a DIY alarm clock once, and also used a soldering iron for a school art project (it was a wire chicken). Better than nothing, right? Thanks to FOOMartProductions I've watched a few tutorials for installing lights and feel confident enough to give it a try.

Lastly, I'm going to be the tiniest Scorch. I'm about 5'5" and I'd like to try and make up for my size as much as possible without having to wear stilts! Could probably make some platformed shoes, though. Will I make the leap to attempt the build before Supanova? We'll see what happens!

the EL wire controllers/batteries make a super loud buzzing noise, for your sanity please dont install the controller box in the helmet.

I put a few coats of paint on the helmet today after finishing most of the paint work for Alice.

19114613_1598075703536318_564272452_n.jpg
19141760_1598078126869409_783476301_n.jpg

I won't have time to make the rest of Scorch before Supanova this weekend but the helmet will definitely be all prettied up with a visor and weathering for Temuera Morrison to sign. Once the weekend is done I'll start getting stuck into the suit. I'm really looking forward to it.

The armour is actually a vacformed kit from a guy in the states called TZA. I scratchbuilt all the weapons and ancillary equipment myself. The helmet is resin slush cast and I fitted all the electronics in the lid and ammo pouches.

The armour is actually a vacformed kit from a guy in the states called TZA. I scratchbuilt all the weapons and ancillary equipment myself. The helmet is resin slush cast and I fitted all the electronics in the lid and ammo pouches.

It looks fantastic dude! I'll be putting LEDs in my Scorch suit for the backpack tubes and equipment attached on his thigh which I haven't done before, so I've been looking at FooMartProductions' tutorials on it. I'm building all of it from scratch but still referring to kit tutorials, as well as the 501st suit standards as they have really good references.

I'm back!!!

Scorch has resumed building today. About time, right? Lots of stuff was going on last year and work was taking over my life, literally. Now I have a new job with much better organisation, I can plan my free time and days off a lot better, which means I can start putting time into building again. Today I got stuck into the chest piece, as an anchor for scaling the rest of the suit.

IMG_20180303_202354.jpg

I'm iffy about the scale fitting with the helmet, seeing as the helmet is slightly too big for my head, but it seems to fit with the chest piece in reference images. My main worry is not having enough neck between the helmet and the chest. We'll wait and see how the rest of the suit turns out first, as I'm more concerned about the scale and fit there atm.

This build is back on full steam now. Tomorrow I'm starting the shoulders and biceps. Then I'll probably be quiet a bit during the week because of work. I'll do my best to keep this thread as updated as I can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back