scizor112's Spartan III WIP (First Project) [Uber Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can always make another one and see how it sizes. What would be a good size do you think? The current piece is scaled to 200mm height. Maybe something like 180mm? I really want to get the scaling as accurate as possible so I don't mind re-Pepping.

EDIT: For a better comparison I've decided to post these two shots; one of myself with my Bicep Piece on, the other of Noble Six with a really good view on the Bicep Piece. All input is welcome, I would really like to start the other Bicep asap but to me QUALITY > SPEED/QUANTITY.

720px-B312.png

100_0125.jpg

Like I've said before, I'm making trying to make it scaled to the length of my arm as I plan on bulking myself up a bit with the undersuit.

Update! A small one that is. Amazing model by L3X BLU3R1V3R. I've put in a good 4.5 hours Pepping this thing so far today and it's coming along great. For now however I'm taking a break to tell you guys what I'm up to. I used hot glue exclusively on this because I've gotten really annoyed with my super glue wanting to stick to everything but the piece I'm making and believe me, it's faster, easier to work with, and much cleaner, not to mention cheaper. For scaling I had my sister measure my shoulders at their widest point, and then I added an inch to that. Strangely, my measurement was only half a centimeter under the default size so I just said "screw it" and went with that. Anyways, enjoy the pics. I'm hoping to have this piece completely pepped by Wednesday night.

100_0129.jpg

100_0132.jpg

100_0130.jpg

100_0131.jpg

100_0135.jpg

Thanks bro! I really need to get some Fiberglass Resin soon so I can keep working on my other pieces too. I have one small change I'm considering on my character: I'm unsure at this point whether or not I want to keep the Tactical/Tacpad Forearm Attachment. I'm considering changing it to Assault/Breacher or Tactical/UGPS. On another note, I'm gonna start working on a little backstory for my Spartan so I have something to do in Writing Class :D

If your looking for a story add some wear and tear nothing starts a story like saying "You know how I got these scars?"

That's a pretty good idea. I plan on adding lots of my own personal touch to this suit so I'll have lots to talk about.

Well, no new pics at this point (sad face) but I'm finally over the halfway point on the chest. This file is really, really detailed, so much so that I'm leaving some of the smaller things out because I don't want to make a mess with glue. That and I'm pretty confident that I can dremel them in after I resin everything. Don't ask me how, but I managed to slide what I have of the chest over my head without damaging the piece. The sizing looks spot on to me but there is one problem: the collar literally sits right against my neck. I don't want to redo this piece because if I go any bigger it won't be scaled right. Any suggestions as to how I could give myself more neck room? My current thoughts are to fill the collar piece with resin and use the dremel to carve out more space.

Don't Fiberglass the neck area do it in foam because foam is more flexible.

After thinking about it some last night and some mentoring from Hyperballistik, I think this is what I'm going to do. After hardening the piece, I'm going to cut out the lip that's rubbing against my neck and reinforce the collar I have left with some thin foam. After I cut it out I should have ~3/4" to work with on either side. I'll post some pics of my problem tonight after class.

EDIT: S#!t! I forgot to print my handplates this morning so I would have something to do during my 2 hour break between classes today... I'm getting a lot of attention Pepping while sitting in the my school's Student Union building.

Ugh, what a day. Piece of s#!t car stopped running on the way home. It's fixed now, but it put me about 2 hours behind schedule. Anyways, here are the pics I promised. I know the chest piece still has a lot of work to be done, and you can see some of the smaller details I left out on the back (all the stuff that's cut out is going to be put in), but I wanted to show the problem with the neck hole. I like having a plan well before I get to the stage I need it. The rest of the pieces are to show how everything is sizing together.

Thus far:
100_0137.jpg

100_0138.jpg

100_0141.jpg

The neck:
100_0142.jpg

100_0143.jpg

As stated earlier, it's not that much of a problem now, but after I get the piece resined, glassed, bondoed, etc. it's gonna be WAAAAY too small for me to put on, even when the piece is split. I think that cutting the collar out and some thin foam in it's place after the piece is hardened is what I'm going to do but if anyone has any better suggestions please, let me know.

Good stuff! Yeah sometimes you have to work around what you have and cut parts short. I had the same problem with some of my suit but I couldn't see myself going back and pepping another piece. 99% of people aren't going to notice a section that's been altered and will end up being amazed that you made it in the first place lol.

looks very good, clean pep work!!
I used the same file for my biceps and I'm 6 feet tall, I scaled it to 190mm and it fits very good! In fact, if I had scaled it smaller I wouldn't have been able to fit my arm through the bottom. hope this helps.
keep it up
Martin

Good stuff! Yeah sometimes you have to work around what you have and cut parts short. I had the same problem with some of my suit but I couldn't see myself going back and pepping another piece. 99% of people aren't going to notice a section that's been altered and will end up being amazed that you made it in the first place lol.

Thanks! Lol I don't really mind re-Pepping things because I want it to be accurate, but the problem with upsizing the chest is that I'd have to make it scaled way too big. So I guess I'm gonna have to modify it. As for omitting detail, I might do that to a greater degree on the front because a good bit of it will be covered by the Assault/Sapper harness anyways.

looks very good, clean pep work!!
I used the same file for my biceps and I'm 6 feet tall, I scaled it to 190mm and it fits very good! In fact, if I had scaled it smaller I wouldn't have been able to fit my arm through the bottom. hope this helps.
keep it up
Martin

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really, really awestruck with the quality of this bicep model. I've got that same problem with the bicep piece (damn knobly elbows), but now that I've got enough of the chest to compare it to I think it's sized just right.

Well anyways, back to Pepping after I play some guitar. I'll hopefully be finished with the chest by tomorrow night and I'm going to start on the handplates tomorrow during my 2-hour break between classes. I'm also gonna work on that backstory some during writing class, but first I need a name. I'm thinking something along the lines of Vladmir but I tend to overuse that name XD.

Very nice job! Keep up the good work!
I admire the pepwork and how clean it is!

Very nice job! Keep up the good work!
I admire the pepwork and how clean it is!

Thank you very much! Unfortunately I realized around 8:30 last night that I had homework to do, so I didn't get very much further on the chest. However, I did utilize my 2 hours between classes today to Pep one of the Hand Plates. The little holes on the piece are a pain in the @$$ but I think it turned out pretty well. Here's some pics:

100_0145.jpg

100_0146.jpg

100_0148.jpg

Hoping to have the other one done tomorrow! As for the chest, I probably won't have much time to work on it until this weekend, my teachers from my classes later in the day are piling on the work and it's too large to bring to school to work on. Now I kind of wish that I lived on campus!

Well, I plan on splitting the piece anyway after it's been glassed and finished, so I won't have to worry about getting my head through. However, I'm 99.9% sure that I'm going to cut most if not all of the collar out and do it in foam. A few reasons:

1.) As sandy1973 has stated, it will add a lot of flexibility to that area, in addition to being more comfortable than a resined collar.

2.) A newer thought, but I plan on buying the Thor Motorcross Impact Rig SE to use as part of my undersuit, and a hardened collar might wear it out quickly.

3.) There's a part of the collar missing I'm going to have to make out of foam in the first place.

Also, while the thought is on my mind, I have an idea of how I'm going to make the Flash Bang/Flare/Whatevertheyarethingymawhatsits (the black non-grenades) part of my Assault/Sapper Harness. First off, I'm going to Pep and finish one Grenade, and I have a friend who does casting that is going to help me make 10 of them since I need that many. For the Flash Bangs (that's what I like to call them, but they may be Flares, correct me if I'm wrong here) I plan on using soda cans. I'm going to cut the ends out of the cans, reinforce the inside (most likely with resin/glass), then cap them off with cardboard, resin, bondo, and finish. Any ideas/suggestions?

I HAS IT! I HAS IT! I HAS TEH NAME! So I'm just sitting here and the idea came to me. Like I already said, I like the name Vladimir but I tend to overuse it. But since I can't think of anything else and I want it to be kind of Slavic/Norse sounding I've decided to just change the spelling a little. This character is now officially named Vlädimyhr V-637. My initial concept for backstory involves Vlädimyhr being next in line for Noble Team after Thom was KIA. However, Vlädimyhr did something (I'm not sure what yet) to be kicked out of the Spartan program (somehow managing to escape with the armor) and is hunted by both the Covenant and UNSC. He is still living in "exile" on planet Reach. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
I HAS IT! I HAS IT! I HAS TEH NAME! So I'm just sitting here and the idea came to me. Like I already said, I like the name Vladimir but I tend to overuse it. But since I can't think of anything else and I want it to be kind of Slavic/Norse sounding I've decided to just change the spelling a little. This character is now officially named Vlädimyhr V-637. My initial concept for backstory involves Vlädimyhr being next in line for Noble Team after Thom was KIA. However, Vlädimyhr did something (I'm not sure what yet) to be kicked out of the Spartan program (somehow managing to escape with the armor) and is hunted by both the Covenant and UNSC. He is still living in "exile" on planet Reach. Let me know what you guys think!

I think its a fantastic back story! Good to see more people actually creating a Spartan, instead of just armor. Everything is looking nice btw. Can't wait to see more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back