Super Glue V.S Hot Glue? which is better? Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laimanator

Ok guys, this is a thread for all of us who are building pepakura models :)

Ive been wondering why people prefer one glue over the other, and alot of people are wondering if one gives a better fold or model etc, so those of you who have your preferences, please post your views and reasons belows , and those of you who are choosing which to choose, ask your questions :)

I myself use superglue, as i find theres less material between the card itself, and is easier to use as you dont need a source of electricity

However, it can be difficult as when glueing peices, the're together, if youve made a mistake, it can be REALLY difficult to fix

Also the glueing of the body parts to the armour and yourself is quite painfull D:

So thats my thoughts on superglue, but what do you guys think?

I used to use superglue as well, mainly because it cures quickly and allows a speedy workflow with relatively few clamps. But since I've grown allergic to it, I've looked for alternatives and re-discovered Uhu, which is pretty much the most basic glue we have here. The main problem with it are the bottles and tubes it comes in. If you use those, there is no way to avoid using too much, so I got myself a syringe with a needle, put it in there and as it turns out, if you use little enough of it, it works even better than the superglue. It's less expensive as well, even if you factor the syringe in.

And just for the sake of mentioning it: Don't get any funny ideas if you want to try that out. Seriously.

I prefer hot glue. I use to use super glue for my projects but after a few bottles on one helmet I realized hot glue was cheaper and did just as good. The only issue I have with hot glue is my gun, it squirts out too much and when I press the pieces together I burn my finger. My fingers are basically immune to it now but it still stings. I prefer hot glue because its cheap and effective!

I use hot glue on all my pep work and it is really easy to work with. The best part about it is that if you mess up on a fold, all you do is place the tip on the fold and melt the glue. There are a few drawbacks though. For one, you will burn your fingers pressing folds together. If they start to get to you, you can get some cheap gloves with leather tips. The other part is you end up with this web of hot glue when your done on your piece. It doesn't affect the structure, it's just a pain to pick off all the webbing once your done.

I prefer hot glue. I use to use super glue for my projects but after a few bottles on one helmet I realized hot glue was cheaper and did just as good. The only issue I have with hot glue is my gun, it squirts out too much and when I press the pieces together I burn my finger. My fingers are basically immune to it now but it still stings. I prefer hot glue because its cheap and effective!

Get a small desk fan and place it infront of the glue gun to keep the temp down, this also reduces working time though :(

I reinforce my pepakura cardstock pieces with shipping tape and I also use pepakura for a sintra template and find that hot glue consistantly binds the pieces together better than super glue.

i once used hot glue on two peices and the heat of the cureing fiberglass resin melted the glue and when i went outside to inspect my wat i thought were going to be awsome peices ended up to be piles of hard cardstock so i use super glue the 97cent 4-pack from wal-mart works well

So far so good

i am really considering switching to hot glue because of the way you can fix the mistakes, but i can get 12 bottles of super glue for a £1 :p but im going to look into uhu as it seems tempting. And which would you prefer, glueing your self to the helmet and bottles with super glue , and painfully pulling them off and potentailly tearing the card, or using hot glue and burning, :confused

I know this is a thread debating super glue vs. hot glue, but here's my choice. Neither. I use Elmer's white glue. It's super cheap, non-toxic, won't glue your fingers together and won't burn you. If you pour out a small bit onto a piece of plastic or paper and let it tack up a bit, when it's applied to the pep, it bonds quickly (but not too quickly, allowing for some workability) and is very strong once dry. Also, I've NEVER had an issue while resining a pep glued together with white glue.

i thought about elmers glue, but i wasnt sure about the tackiness, now i'll give it a try, i have been using super glue, but like some have said on here before, after a few bottles it get mighty expensive, the hot glue method HAS NOT worked well for me, i use the low temp, and only put out a bit on the pieces, but its get messy. i have found that binder clips and a glue stick holds well, at least for me.

do you mean like this? i found it kicking about in the drawers , its an uhu baton?
UHU-Stick-40g-Pack-12---45621-011746-l0.jpg

I prefer to use Hot Glue. It's a lot cheaper than Super Glue, not near as stinky, and if you mess up it's pretty easy to fix. Also, if you use a low-temp gun you don't have to worry about burning your fingers as much!

i am really considering switching to hot glue because of the way you can fix the mistakes, but i can get 12 bottles of super glue for a £1 :p but im going to look into uhu as it seems tempting. And which would you prefer, glueing your self to the helmet and bottles with super glue , and painfully pulling them off and potentailly tearing the card, or using hot glue and burning, :confused

Finger movement is key. If you slide your fingers across the tabs while holding them down, you will get superglue on your fingertips (that's pretty much unavoidable), but you will not stick to the model.

do you mean like this? i found it kicking about in the drawers , its an uhu baton?
UHU-Stick-40g-Pack-12---45621-011746-l0.jpg

No...

I use this
glue-uhu.jpg

...this. You can also get it in plastic tubes (better than metal tubes if you want to work with it directly) or plastic bottles. Make sure it's their most basic all-purpose adhesive, they have tons of other products for special applications that look rather similar.

I try both hotglue & superglue and I don't like both so I only use hotglue for foam build and use tacky glue for pepakura build.

I use white glue, it works just fine for me with out the problems associated with super glue or hot glue. Never had a problem with it in the hardening phase either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back