Props The Answer to all your problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have reached the point in the project where just looking at her puts a smile on my face. Hydra for scale.
27746283_10100475573633673_2039250492_o.jpg 27707415_10100475573623693_836037225_o.jpg

Mega-Monster. It's a beast.....how much does it weigh? I can't imagine it not tiring out your arms after carrying it for a while. Add it to the wish list please........

This is awesome. I'm trying to figure out ways to monetize a 3D printer so I can convince the wife that it would make sense to get one. I've been looking at the $300 monoprice Maker Select. Altho I like the challenge of turning existing nerf (or other brand) dart guns into props while retaining their function. But this thing is beast. Did you think of printing the parts hollow or with lower infill in order to make it lighter? Or would that have compromised the structural integrity too much?

Affirm, all of these parts are printed at 5% infill. Remember the weapon itself is 42 inches long (per the Halo encyclopedia). 5 lbs is nothing. But yes, there is a balance between wall width and infill percentage to ensure structural integrity.

Affirm, all of these parts are printed at 5% infill. Remember the weapon itself is 42 inches long (per the Halo encyclopedia). 5 lbs is nothing. But yes, there is a balance between wall width and infill percentage to ensure structural integrity.

5% Infill? Do you have three or four borders and eight top/bottom layers to accommodate for such a low percentage? What's your pillowing situation like?

have 3 walls all around at .2 resolution. Only some minor pillowing on two of the 30 parts. It actually worked a lot better than I thought it would. Did a lot of experimenting with this one in order to make it lighter than the Hydra. Any of the errors can be easily cleaned up with post production work.

Cause that Hydra was a brick! I don't now how your arm didn't fall off at Dragon lugging that thing around.

Cause that Hydra was a brick! I don't now how your arm didn't fall off at Dragon lugging that thing around.
My arm tried to fall off hah. Some lessons were learned. Once we get both of these fully figured out plan is to make ultra lightweight casts.

My arm tried to fall off hah. Some lessons were learned. Once we get both of these fully figured out plan is to make ultra lightweight casts.

:O Brush on resin and then fibreglass backfilled with expanding foam?!

Thats the plan pretty much. One of the makers I met at Dragon Con did a similar process with his Suppressor. We are planning to go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back