TurboCharizard Makes a Rakshasa

TurboCharizard

RXO and BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S068

OP: Announcement and Index​

Ahoy 405th, I’ve gone and done it again with the habit of go quiet on the forward facing forums while working on a new modular assembly armour core to have something new to wear for Otafest. I’d like to say that this time was different and that I practiced self-care and took my time on the build but, hah, not quite.

Much like the previous MkVII build the core design features of the suit were focused on easy preparation of parts and the ability to quickly change features and rigging of the suit if it is to be worn by another costumer or if certain restrictions of attachments are imposed by an event. With a new armour core to work on, a consideration I had was the interconnectivity between the various cores specific parts and I am pleased to say that yes, Cross-Core builds are in.

This time what I worked in secret on was the Rakshasa Core from Halo Infinite. Just building a game character is kind of something that I’ve lost interest in since it limits creativity and selection of fun paints, fabrics and features. As before, this is a crossover build with a Vocaloid design near and dear to my heart. I’m partially blaming Benton188 for planting the seed of NASCAR billboard props in Infinite which became Goodsmile Racing 2010 Super GT Livery Miku in my brain.
o5yNaTllmxhHzqVsgu7WQtx?key=9nKRYJ9NF5XH_b5wcJi7jA.png

The Rakshasa core already has the cooled suit with safety harnesses that reads as a pilot or pit crew member when in the bright colours of certain armour coatings (Hammerhead Squadron and Tawney Prairie as examples) and then paired with a liberal placement of markings, advertisements and colour splashes, bam, Racing Miku.

The concept of the build was always in the back of my mind brewing since the first Vocaloid build but the steps to execution were never quite solidified in my mind until a series of random chance led to two things to act as inspiration. The random chance was a multiple hour delay on the Shinkansen changing some vacation plans that ultimately landed us with some freed up time to just explore Akihabara. Right at the station we jumped out of, there was a Good Smile pop up shop (uh oh for our spending money) which also had a Good Smile Racing section with one ballcap left. Something that I always thought would fit the inherent vibe that Dinh and co gave off during the Infinite Lone Wolves cinematics of an at ease SPARTAN hanging out around a convention booth.
GtDlVGoSrQ3LQcSeMkOCwdH?key=9nKRYJ9NF5XH_b5wcJi7jA.jpg
VOBMRmLWjt3ZQGBwPrzi-ww?key=9nKRYJ9NF5XH_b5wcJi7jA.jpg

I’d like to thank the absolute lads Angus314 , Jerverant, MDBDesigns , ODCA , PerniciousDuke , Rock Lobbster , and SubXzeroXhero for their experience with the core and being able to bounce ideas off of them for three weeks straight in a caffeine fueled Fusion360 frenzy. Cheers to you for not getting immediately fed up with my constant “what if” approach.

Since this is a non-traditional build thread in the fact that there is approximately three months worth of work already completed and the whole suit is “finished”, the first page of posts is reserved as documentation for the build. Posts will be reserved and linked to the Original Post for easier future access since this will be one part “how to build a Rakshasa”, one part “here is a dozen different tutorials” and one part “link dump with shenanigans”.

Post 1: Costs Breakdown
Post 2: Design Methodology
Post 3: Design Process
Post 4: Suit Features
Post 5: Parts Sample, Revisions, Future Updates
Post 6: Suit Concept
Post 7: Assembly
Post 8: Surface Preparation
Post 9: Resin Casting
Post 10: Paints and Decals
Post 11: Vacuum Forming
Post 12: Fabric Selection
Post 13: Flexibles and Soft Parts - Pattern Creation
Post 14: Flexibles and Soft Parts - Assembly
Post 15: Electronics
Post 16: Otafest Glamour Shots
Post 17: Future Additions and Longevity
Post 18: Untitled

Posts will be reserved en masse initially, one post per day will be uploaded. Until then, Happy month of Halloween.

Last edited:

Post 1: Costs Breakdown​

As is tradition this first post is a method of self reporting so that everything can be looked back on fondly (or I can call myself out on overspending) on materials used to make a specific part further down the line when the suit needs fixes or it is passed onto someone who never had first hand knowledge on how to repair it. This approximate shopping list and time clock can be used to help gauge if you have the time and funds to take on a project of this scale. If it is your first suit then expect a bit more up front cost with having to source materials and tools that are just on hand and available in a workshop that has been building costumes for a decade.

By no means is this comprehensive as a required shopping list. I implore you to get creative, use the blank canvas of a SPARTAN to tell a story and go nuts. Rakshasa suits are perfect for experimenting on weathering, rigging and a whole bunch of other lesser used techniques in the 405th wheelhouse.

Take everything on this list as a rough guideline knowing that it’ll be different based on personal scaling and material availability in your area. Victoria is a fairly artistically inclined town with various suppliers for these items but plenty of online ordering was required so shop smart and get those online savings where you can. Also take advantage of currency exchange rates and sales events when possible.

Any cost not directly indicated was an item that was already an off the shelf item in storage in the workshop or is fairly common and easy to acquire from a hardware store or through McMaster-Carr.

Suit Associated Costs

Base Materials
eSun PLA+ Grey - 176
Spool3D Flex PLA - 34
Fiberglass Mat - 40
Polyester Fiberglass Resin -35
XTC3D Epoxy Resin - 42
M3 x 30mm Fasteners - 12
M5 x 12mm Fasteners
M5 x 30mm Fasteners - 15
M5 x 45mm Fasteners
M4 Fastener
M5 Washer
M5 Nuts
M3 Nuts
Helmet Liner Padding - 15
PETG Sheeting -10
Smooth-On MoldMax 30
Smooth-On SmoothCast310

Fabric
Ottertex Waterproof Canvas Orange (3m) - 39
Ottertex Waterproof Canvas White (5m) - 63
Cotton Duck Canvas Black (5m) - 63
Lining -
Pellon Flex Foam Fusible Stabilizer (2 Packs) - 37
Gloves - Far too much after buying three pairs
Balaclava -
Thread T70 1800yd spool (Black, Orange and White) - 42
1” Webbing White
1.5” Webbing White
1” Webbing Red (10m) - 17
2” Webbing Red (10m) - 19
2” Webbing Black
1” Webbing Teal (10m) - 18
⅜” Nylon Rope - 14

Rigging
Radio Chest Harness - 20
Tactical Belt - 21
Non-Roll Elastic -
Parachute Clips -
Elastic Lace (Pink) - 4
Crash Pads - 35
Heelys - 90

Paints and Coatings
Rustoleum 2 in 1 Filler Sandable Primer - 80
Rustoleum Matte White Primer -30
Rustoleum Matte Black Primer - 30
Rustoleum Gloss Black - 15
Rustoleum Silver -15
Golden High Flow Acrylic Pearl White -12
Vallejo Metal Color 77.720 Gunmetal - 12
Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear -8
Rustoleum Matte Clear -15
Leak Seal -18
MTN 94 RV-2004 Kalani Orange - 13
MTN 94 RV-241 Madrid Red - 13
iDye Poly Purple (2 Packs) - 8

Electronics
5V 4020 Blower Fan - 10
USB Powerbank
Raspberry Pi Zero W - 22
Display HAT Mini
Bluetooth/UHF wireless voice amp - 65

Consumables
60 Grit Sanding Disc
80 Grit Flapper Wheel
120 Grit Sanding Pad
220 Grit Sanding Disc
220 Grit Sanding Pad
300 Grit Sanding Disc
300 Grit Sanding Pad
400 Grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper
Latex Masking Fluid
Masking Tape (Various)
Double Sided Tape

Design Time
6 Weeks - 188 Hours
99Oo6mTKH-u94giWmjLkCfx?key=9nKRYJ9NF5XH_b5wcJi7jA.png

Print Time
Total Material Weight 7.5kg
Total Machine Time 18.83 Days

-FDcePh5FMmJTw-KFrpYEC8?key=9nKRYJ9NF5XH_b5wcJi7jA.png

Sanding - 94 hours
Paint/Coatings - 18 hours
Soft Parts - 74 hours

Total Time Dedicated to Suit - 374 Hours

Last edited:

Post 2: Design Methodology​

For this suit and any that are based off of it in the future there was a set outline of things that it had to be. This helped focus my attention to making my time designing and building easier and limiting the stress in potentially difficult building conditions while being under a time limit. The five main points that I adhered to were as follows

1. The suit must be infinitely customizable for any armour permutation.​

This challenge was addressed in the MkVII Armour Core build and resulted in the “Hard Point System”. Attachments in Halo Infinite, much like Halo Reach follow a consistent placement pattern around the SPARTAN armour core. However, unlike Halo Reach, Halo Infinite and the designers of the Rakshasa core were very thoughtful of how each type of attachment would connect to the body of the wearer. Each mounting point either has some greeblie, panel or object that is a different colour zone on the canon armour coating system which allows for some trickery in removable plates that can be fastened and removed as needed. This must be compatible with other cores within reason and creation of mounting brackets and adapters must be considered for cross-core features.
  1. The suit and its individual components must be easily replicable.​

For the Hard Point System to work certain tolerances must be maintained during construction and when worn to limit deformation and allow for continued use of the system through the life of the suit. Also, sewing is hard. I do it, I hardly know what anything is called so it’s mostly a situation of “engineer puts fabric together based on looking at how pants are made”. I’ve set up a scalable pattern and a more traditional pattern for all sewn items that are adjustable within Pepakura which gives a sense of comfort and familiarity to all of us that started with papercraft and foam building in the before times.
  1. The barrier for entry must be low.​

Due to point two limiting the primary material to a 3D printed medium and a considerable sewing project there exists up front costs to build this style of suit. Unfortunately printers and filament are expensive so the goal was to limit individual part size wherever possible to fit within the build volume of a standard Prusa i3/Ender 3 which are the most common build volume. As an additional design constraint, planning for minimal support material usage to get the most value out of the spool of plastic was considered. Material substitutions are designed into the file pack and options for using pre-purchased parts are given to save on expensive (and addicting) trips to the fabric store.
  1. Every chance for a simplification of a future construction step, the design must attempt to simplify.​

Post processing is the point where you make or break the appearance of a suit. Layer lines in the crevices give away your material used. Difficult to mask parts often leads to pieces that are hand painted or paint bleed from tape peel up. Separation of greeblies and pieces that are in a different colour zone that do not add to the overall strength and stability of a part were removed for easier finishing work to save time either through easier access or the ability to duplicate through casting of parts.
  1. The build must be complex to allow for all desired features but be simple enough to easily construct through short instructions.​

Planning for every possible attachment variant as well as having separable greeblies makes for a suit that instead of consisting of just main body components but alternatively has over one hundred pieces of varying sizes. Without being the designer of the suit files this becomes a daunting task of a jigsaw puzzle. Keyed geometry and simple instructions that combine with well organised and segmented documentation sections keep the build manageable and easy to follow. Check off lists and worksheets that promote note taking help immensely on a full suit build. Documentation saves lives.

With five main constraints on the overall design for how to make a suit it seems a bit daunting but when boiled down to the base description of “Rakshasa looks cool at first but oh no there’s so many details” we have a rally cry and a goal we can all believe in. The time constraint was a primary concern for the prototype suit as will be discussed later. This project started in mid-February and needed to be ready for the Mother’s Day weekend at Otafest so wherever a few hours of physical hands-on time could be saved, it was needed. I was stuck at home for a week with COVID and managed to crank a few of the digital designs out quickly at the start which helped but this is by no means a thread advocating for time crunched building. To make this suit it required dedicating an amount of time daily that would constitute working a full time job with overtime on top of my normal job. Do not attempt this if you value not upsetting your normal daily schedule or if you value having a social life.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back