Voice Modulator Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurks Donut

Member DIN
S101
I'm in the process of re-vamping the electronics on my helmet. Of these electronics is a voice modulator. I'm not using it to really mod my voice, but to transmit my voice to the speakers. I am also doing this wirelessly through an FM transmitter, though I have the problem when it's hardwired as well.

Here's the low-down:

I talk into the mic, and the speakers get really bad feedback. When I turn the volume down, it goes away, but you can't hear my voice. If I turn it up JUST enough to start hearing my voice, it starts squealing pretty badly. Hopefully some of you are into this type of stuff and can tell me what's going on, and what I can do to fix it. I'll post pics of the device later tonight when I get home. Thanks!

Sniper

It's actually decently far away. My mic is in the mouth part of the helmet, and my speakers are tucked away in the lower chest. When I actually have my helmet on, I have to ask other people if it's a suitable volume or not.

you have a problem called feedback

the fix is to place the directional cone of the speaker so that it does not hit the microphone.

placing the speaker directly in front of the mic is the best solution.

Thanks for the replies! Now for some answers and pics:

RAL: Should still be far enough away, and they aren't pointed at the mic. They are pointed towards my body, but they are far enough down to prevent feedback. I tested this without the armor, and it seems to do fine. When it's inside the armor, i get feedback from it.

Juice: The feedback is a squealing noise. You know the kind you hear when you get too close to a real microphone, and it squeals until you move back or until the person running the equipment fix it? It's that type.

Bloody: It should be far enough away, and not cause this. It's far enough away, and I tested it outside of the armor and it did fine. I can't place in directly infront of the microphone, because it's a helmet. There's no room.

Rube: I don't think it is. It's a mic that came with a voice modulation kit. I don't have this problem when it's outside of the armor. If I also change the pitch of my voice through the modulator, it doesn't do it either. Only when it's on my actual voice.

Here are the pics:

[attachment=10194:105_5917.JPG]

[attachment=10193:105_5916.JPG]

[attachment=10193:105_5916.JPG]

When I do my Voice for my Armor. Just in case I do come across this problem I was going to fit a small respirator mask into the front to prevent feed back and keep my visor free from misting up. Do you have enough room inside the helmet to try this?

Guardian Baku said:
When I do my Voice for my Armor. Just in case I do come across this problem I was going to fit a small respirator mask into the front to prevent feed back and keep my visor free from misting up. Do you have enough room inside the helmet to try this?

My voice mod actually broke, so the project is on hold for now. I don't have it in the helmet, but I know it wouldn't fit with a respirator. The area inside was small enough as it was :p

Somehow 'sealing' the helmet would be good though. It would help prevent feedback and help keep the inside of it cool (with an intake and outtake fan)

Last edited by a moderator:
actually, i think it's because it's in the helmet that you are getting feedback. it's and inclosed area that sound it trapped in. if you put alot of padding in the helmet it might help not to reflect the noise and prevent the feedback. just a thought though

halodude164 said:
actually, i think it's because it's in the helmet that you are getting feedback. it's and inclosed area that sound it trapped in. if you put alot of padding in the helmet it might help not to reflect the noise and prevent the feedback. just a thought though

Actually.... really good point. When I get it working again, I'll try a little more padding (and a muffle on the mic too)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back