Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichan

Hello y'all!

I've seen a few post of other people sharing their builds, so here I am adding my stuff ;) I actually don't have any questions regarding this project, I just want to share it.

I am making the base out of pepakura. Then I will be adding fiberglass and epoxy, to make the armor durable. I have been thinking of making it our of foam at first, but foam is to leightweight and easy to deform, although it's not as heavy as epoxy. I have my boyfriend doing most of the fiberglass and epoxy stuff, as he already built 2 masterchiefs himself. :) But I definitly want to try doing that myself too.

I am only uploading a few pictures here as thumbnails, mostly from the pepakura bases, as i don't want to overload the forum. But I am uploading all other related pictures in the gallery, if someone is interested :lol:

20180807_215804.jpg Helmet
20180908_151122.jpg 20180910_224117.jpg 20180910_224142.jpg Torso
20181126_170157.jpg 20181126_170204.jpg lower leg armor
20190105_144839.jpg 20190105_144858.jpg Shoes
20190112_131909.jpg 20190112_131915.jpg Shoulder

20190101_223043.jpg

The helmet here is already fiberglassed, sanded and I added filler.

I will be editing this post over time, as to add my progress.
By the way, my deadline is set for end of february, so wish me luck xD

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. And if you got any suggestions for me to make this even better, please tell me! I am always eager to learn new stuff!

Greetings, Isa_chan

Attachments

• 20190101_223103.jpg
    20190101_223103.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 278
Good luck! Your pep looks really good so far. Kind of ambitious to finish by Feb., but I'm looking forward to seeing how you work it out. I feel like you're the kind of person that can pull this off. Be sure to keep us posted!

Thank you for your optimism Sean! :) motivation is really big right now, so I keep up my performance.
Also my boyfriend is also building on his own, so I have help xD

I will keep you up to date, don't worry ;)

This is looking awesome!! Keep posting so we can see the good work you have been doing!! I bet your going to be excited when it all comes together!!
I bet you get done sooner then you think but the end of Feb. is a great due date!!
Good luck and see some more from you soon!!!!!:D:D:D

This is looking awesome!! Keep posting so we can see the good work you have been doing!! I bet your going to be excited when it all comes together!!
I bet you get done sooner then you think but the end of Feb. is a great due date!!
Good luck and see some more from you soon!!!!!:D:D:D

So nice, thank you for the extra motivation :D
I know it's still a lot of work, but we want to attend a con with them so badly. We probably will end up with some all nighters right before the con starts xD but if we finish then that's worth it!

Btw: I totally like your name xD

Yeah......what they said........I hate coming late to a party.......everything good and interesting to the conversations already been said.........So I will grunt ambiguously and say "Hruggg. Get back to work"......good job.

Yeah......what they said........I hate coming late to a party.......everything good and interesting to the conversations already been said.........So I will grunt ambiguously and say "Hruggg. Get back to work"......good job.

don't worry about beeing late to a party. xD i just started playing halo in december.. so.. late is my second name i guess ;)

very impressed with the pep. If I can, what fillers are you using? It doesn't look like bondo to me and it looks like it might be easier to work with. (i'm in the works of a Mk.VI as well as my first suit build and sucking in info like a sponge at the moment.)

Looking pretty clean with the pep work. I have to agree with the preference of fibreglass over foam for the durability and not deforming. Unfortunately the weight does add up

very impressed with the pep. If I can, what fillers are you using? It doesn't look like bondo to me and it looks like it might be easier to work with. (i'm in the works of a Mk.VI as well as my first suit build and sucking in info like a sponge at the moment.)

I am using normal filler like you use it for car repair. and also some spray-on filler for light filling xD it adds a bit of weight, but is easy to deal with. (especially when your bf does it for you, since he knows how much hardener to use xD)

Looking pretty clean with the pep work. I have to agree with the preference of fibreglass over foam for the durability and not deforming. Unfortunately the weight does add up

Thank you :D well we got no problems with extra weight :p my bf is versatile so he knows how to build in an selfmade exoskeletton.We also use glassbubbles to make the epoxy a lot lighter! Really helps a lot in reducing the weight!

I am using normal filler like you use it for car repair. and also some spray-on filler for light filling xD it adds a bit of weight, but is easy to deal with. (especially when your bf does it for you, since he knows how much hardener to use xD)

Thank you :D well we got no problems with extra weight :p my bf is versatile so he knows how to build in an selfmade exoskeletton.We also use glassbubbles to make the epoxy a lot lighter! Really helps a lot in reducing the weight!

I'm surprised it's regular body filler, but I guess if you have the mix right it's easier. I had thinking about trying a polyurethane foam type resin in hardening to get the weight down. Keep us posted if love to see this glass bubble method. Always on the lookout for new techniques to try

I'm surprised it's regular body filler, but I guess if you have the mix right it's easier. I had thinking about trying a polyurethane foam type resin in hardening to get the weight down. Keep us posted if love to see this glass bubble method. Always on the lookout for new techniques to try

I will deffenitly keep all of you postet, don't worry :)

As for the glassbubbles: it's an additive that you mix in. We add 4 different parts together: a 2 part mix for the epoxy, then something to make it harder (I don't know the exact English term for this but the chemical term is thixitropy) and then the bubbles.

The bubbles are like tiny airfilled bubbles (hence the name). So you literally put in air to reduce the weight. We find this kind of stuff in shops for modelling in the planes department.

Hope my gibberish English is understandable, with all those technical terms I am well out of my comfort zone :D:D

Well I will say. Pep is one heck of a nightmare in my book. I did only one helmet and I didn't do that right so I jumped to foam. But you are doing one heck of a job at it. Just take it easy and the reward will be amazing.

Well I will say. Pep is one heck of a nightmare in my book. I did only one helmet and I didn't do that right so I jumped to foam. But you are doing one heck of a job at it. Just take it easy and the reward will be amazing.

Thank you so much Harri51!

The same you say about pepakura is true for me and foam. I am not big fan, as it's just not durable enough.
I am a clumsy person, clumsy as in I find the only corner in a round room and stumble over that, so I need it too survive myself xD

Same goes with working with foam.. I just get so many unwanted deformations which I don't get with epoxy and fiberglass xD

In regards to the weight, I'll refer to Elizabeth Moon's "The Deed of Paksenarrion" where she spoke about wearing a helmet all the time....."it strengthens the neck muscles.....makes it harder to cut through". After a while, with the right padding, you forget you are wearing it.

Harri51 Sweating is part of it xD it's either you freeze or overheat. There is simply nothing in between xD

For my MK VI I bought new thermo underwear. In combination with fans we hopefully won't die as easy xD well, as long as the battery is not empty xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back