1:1 Wall-e Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belakor

Been working on this for a while and figured I'd post something for those interested.
The current goal is to have him presentable for the local September release of Wall-E but if that doesn't work out I'll be finishing him up for the Auckland Armageddon convention in October... won't be much in the way of electronics to begin with, I've got some sounds sorted and I'll add some lights and maybe get some movement in the head/eyes.

I'm using schematics from both the Wall-E builders Yahoo group and the Wall-E Crawler forum. A lot of the dimensions weren't available when I started, not sure if they are now, so it's probably not perfectly to scale.

I'll just post some basic pics of the different stages to save space but I've got loads more photos here.

He started out as a wastecube made from cardboard (a good way to gauge the overall size), after that I cut the base and top from MDF, I'm using MDF almost exclusively for the base of the body, a little bondo to smooth a few pieces out and eventually I'll skin and detail everything with 2mm styrene sheet. Once I got the measurements for the overall height I cut the sides and back out of the same MDF and screwed it all together... the screws will be replaced with glue once I'm done with all the construction.
th_P7060012wtmk.jpg th_P7100025wtmk.jpg th_P7110013wtmk.jpg
I scaled and printed out the speaker plate piece and stuck that to a piece of MDF, I still need to cut out and recess the speaker grill and the panel for the charge indicator.

After the sides were on I cut them in two so I could add hinges to make him open. I also added the basic structure for the tracks.
th_P7170006wtmk.jpg th_P7220008wtmk.jpg th_P7180022wtmk.jpg
I'm not going to have enough time to motorize him now so I'm going for this look with the tracks partially retracted:
th_walle-closeup-best.png

Here's where he's at now:
th_P7220006wtmk.jpg
I still need to shape the sides a bit more and cut out the sections on the speaker plate. The ejector door needs to be done as well but I'll be using styrene for that (which I still need to pick up ;))
I just finished the mock-up of the right arm (though both arms are the same), the final version will be PVC and styrene.
th_DSCF2620wtmk.jpg th_DSCF2621wtmk.jpg

Nugget said:
His legs aren't actually on the bottom of his suit. They fold into there though.
I know ;) I'm just building the first stage this way so I've got a solid base to display him on :)
He's getting pretty heavy and I don't really have the equipment at the moment to build a proper set of tracks that would be able to stand up to the all weight.
Once I get to adding motors I'll have the full tracks, these first ones are just the bottom piece made to look like they're retracting, they wont retract though... there's no way they could actually fit inside his body along with the head and arms and adding the sizable motors, batteries and controllers needed to drive him would make it a rather tight fit in there ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh o_O other WALL E fans^^

i'm making a 3d model of wall e intend to become pep.
and with the 3d model i'm going to make a video^^

I got it a long time ago I found it the other day. Hmmm After Dragon Con it would be funny if me and Rob made like a 10 foot R.O.B. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back