15 Day Odst Challenge That Lasted 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenStreeper

Day One (8/31/09)

.......................................................................................................................................................

Today I clayed up the master for my Dutch helmet.

th_OdstDutch001.jpgth_OdstDutch002.jpgth_OdstDutch003.jpg

th_OdstDutch004.jpgth_OdstDutch005.jpgth_OdstDutch006.jpgth_OdstDutch007.jpg

th_OdstDutch008.jpgth_OdstDutch009.jpgth_OdstDutch010.jpgth_OdstDutch011.jpg

th_OdstDutch012.jpgth_OdstDutch013.jpg

.......................................................................................................................................................

Day Two (9/1/09)

Today I hardened the masters for the body, and started the clay work. I also prepped the helmet

for molding.

th_15dayOdst001.jpgth_15dayOdst002.jpgth_15dayOdst003.jpgth_15dayOdst004.jpg

th_15dayOdst005.jpgth_15dayOdst006.jpgth_15dayOdst007.jpg

Day Three (9/2/09)

Started work early this morning, I put the first layer of latex molding on the Dutch helmet and should have a finished mold by Monday (pending complications). The main course of action for today will be using clay to detail the pieces that were hardened yesterday. Chest is complete I will post pics of todays work either tonight or early tomorrow.

Updates to follow check out the blog at http://soaringhammerincorporatedproductions.com/wp/ for up to the minute action on the challenge

first of all what are you making? just the helmet? an entire suit?

second, pics? EDIT: oh... nevermind

WOW! that helmet looks great! keep it up.

lol-zilla guys tech errors from photobucket, I promise sirs I'm no noob at this. The challenge was laid to for me to build, mold, cast, paint, and assemble two working odst suits in 15 days. The challenge was laid forth by Grim Killer, and the agreed upon terms were if he supplied me base pep models then I would do the rest, and have the suits completed no later than Sept. 14th. Just though I would share the challenge over here too.

Edit:

Link, if you are watching this thread I know you aren't shipping to many more visors before D-con, but if you can make an exception I will be needing two for this challenge. Let me know the details via pm sit, as I can't pm you for some reason.

BenStreeper said:
lol-zilla guys tech errors from photobucket, I promise sirs I'm no noob at this. The challenge was laid to for me to build, mold, cast, paint, and assemble two working odst suits in 15 days. The challenge was laid forth by Grim Killer, and the agreed upon terms were if he supplied me base pep models then I would do the rest, and have the suits completed no later than Sept. 14th. Just though I would share the challenge over here too.

That's a pretty hefty challenge, but it looks like you have a handle on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Macattack64 said:
That's a pretty hefty challenge, but it looks like you have a handle on it.

yeah well you know us Texas boys like to over do things

woah, pretty epic.

I can't finish my paintball battlerifle in like a over a month. but its because my parents are super slow with buying the safety supplies. ( Safety first!) and also because I'm a n00b. but yes! looks nice. Are you making one suit for yourself and the other for somebody else?

MikyVengeance said:
woah, pretty epic.

I can't finish my paintball battlerifle in like a over a month. but its because my parents are super slow with buying the safety supplies. ( Safety first!) and also because I'm a n00b. but yes! looks nice. Are you making one suit for yourself and the other for somebody else?

Yes, one for myself and on for Grim Killer (the initiator of the challenge). Mainly I think the challenge started so that he could have a suit, but hey it's fun. Also these will be production pieces, however, the 15 day mark only requires 2 to be made.

Morning update:

Seeing as I am on a truncated time table you guys will be getting probably a lot more updates than you bargained for. I have finished the masters for the chest plate and the shoulder plate, and I am about to start work on the shoulder itself. I have also put the first layer of latex on the new* Dutch Master (this one is higher detail).

th_15dayOdst011.jpgth_15dayOdst013.jpgth_15dayOdst014.jpg

**Clearing up a point of fact:

This dutch helmet is a redo of my original. I made a mold of it and poured a casting. Not happy with the results from that I started talking about redoing it with clay. This is what initially prompted the challenge. The newer helmet has much better detail.

th_15dayOdst009.jpgth_15dayOdst010.jpgth_15dayOdst015.jpg

Ben:

If you need visors, I actually have two from Link that I'm not using at the moment. I picked them up to hold onto for future use, but if you need them soon and Link's busy, I can get them to you before your deadline.

I'll shoot link an e-mail just to make sure it's okay with him, and I can send them over once I get back from Seattle/PAX (Sep 8th). Should reach you on time with priority shipping if you're interested in working something out for that.

That aside, the stuff's looking awesome! Best of luck finishing in time.

rvb18 said:
if i can make an odst in 2 days then you can do this, good luck ben

Thank you sir. I'm sure I can make it, the time-line is mainly laid out for the molding, casting, painting, and assembling. You see sir I am making not one but two High Detail Suits for the challenge.

15 days to build an ODST suit? Sweet! I've been limping along for a year or so lol. jk

Good luck, nice dutch helm btw

Cheers

Evening Update:

Got the masters for the chest and shoulder shield done and all prepped to mold. Finished the master for the Shoulder piece and will prep it to be molded later tonight. I have gotten 3 coats of latex on the helmet so far, which translates to 22 more before that mold is done. And I have decided the the ab plate I have, and the for arm are not gonna cut it. Tomorrow I will be making these from scratch.

th_15dayOdst016.jpgth_15dayOdst017.jpgth_15dayOdst018.jpgth_15dayOdst019.jpg

th_15dayOdst004.jpgth_15dayOdst006.jpg

Holy crap that is a ridiculous time-table! And here I was feeling sorry for myself because I had to half-ass my project to have it in time for DragonCon and I had 9 weeks! Not only that, but your work looks amazing. I can't wait till I can get that kind of detail and smoothness.

Lord Farquaad said:
Holy crap that is a ridiculous time-table! And here I was feeling sorry for myself because I had to half-ass my project to have it in time for DragonCon and I had 9 weeks! Not only that, but your work looks amazing. I can't wait till I can get that kind of detail and smoothness.

well it's more the fact that since I am planning to mold this I decided to use clay instead of bondo. This let me move faster than even I thought. It is also letting me add a lot more detail. The down side is that with clay you HAVE to mold them and pour casts, because you 100% can not wear a clay suit. Especially one made from oil based clay, because it never hardens.

On the brighter side I am now 5 days ahead of schedule. But since i decided to scratch build the ab plate and fore-arm I may end up using those 5 days building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back