Belakor's Halo 3D Weapon Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
mc hammer time said:
I'd really like to see that pistol CNC'd. I think it would turn out great if you had a good enough mill.

Agreed, though right now I'm working on the model to make it much easier to machine. Basically removing all the text and some of the finer details like vents and replacing them with recessed slots, that way you could CNC the body of it and laser cut/etch inserts with the detail pieces on them.

That should make it much easier to work with :)

I'm also doing a test to see how well it would work in the rapid prototyper, just waiting for Skeinforge to do it's thing and see what needs fixing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Belakor. You are amazing. That pistol looks awesome. Do you think you could send me a .obj so I can have a look at how you made it?

WMHunterTLS said:
Belakor. You are amazing. That pistol looks awesome. Do you think you could send me a .obj so I can have a look at how you made it?

Thanks.

Sorry, I wont be able to help out with the obj of it. I'm keeping all the 3D models for the time being but in any case I don't think it would help much if at all, it would look just like the stl's above and probably wouldn't give any idea of the construction... since it was built using extrusions and cuts rather than points and polys ;)

Since I poster it in here earlier, here's an improved version of the laser kill ring.... now with more Chief, Mister Chief that is:

3774584740_c0eb611148_m.jpg 3774584120_bda4a9d6a6_m.jpg

I might look at getting this turned in to an actual ring at some point, I think it'd be pretty cool.

There's also a Steaktakular medal in the works, which I'll print on the RP.

Edit: The drawing a few posts up got borked, I'll try and fix it and re-upload later.

Been working on some new models...

Brute firebomb/flame grenade:

3798576991_4bd137df9e_m.jpg

Still a bit of detailing to do, need to finish the etching on the glass. Once I'm done I plan on cutting the model up and rigging it for electronics.

Bubble Shield:

3794277318_0701e85a03_m.jpg

Pretty basic right now, slowly adding details to the whole thing. Also it is modeled as one piece but I'll edit it later and make all the appropriate parts moveable as it is in game.

The start of an SMG, with and without the ODST suppressor:

3787042699_f1c8170dd3_m.jpg 3788192774_234d0bcc3d_m.jpg

Was modeling this as a solid object but I decided to do the stock and mag separate and assemble them later.

I started editing the SOCOM earlier, I might work on converting it to the other versions

3798822563_1a512133a7_m.jpg

3799639186_e5893eb27a_m.jpg

I may just start from scratch though, cutting the suppressor etc off is not as easy as you'd think.

I also created a new set just for the Halo 3D models on Flickr:

Link

There are some other Halo things I'm planning on working on shortly, mostly random props rather than weapons but they're still reasonably cool... there's something else from Halo Wars that just caught my eye a few seconds ago, off to SW to see if I can do anything with it :)

And you aren't working for Bungie or 343 Studios because....??

Is there any chance that the concept BR can be sliced? I would make it in a heart beat if it is!

You are a 3D Modeling God my friend!

-Pony

ACDCrockr209 said:
And you aren't working for Bungie or 343 Studios because....??

Is there any chance that the concept BR can be sliced? I would make it in a heart beat if it is!

You are a 3D Modeling God my friend!

-Pony

I don't think I would do very well in that line of work, physical work is more my thing :) I'm only really learning 3D software as much as I have to to be able to create real props from them... now I just need to secure time with right tools ;)

It could possibly be sliced but I've never really looked at that with any of the models, I tried it once with an early version of the M6C SOCOM but it was a pain to work with. I would need to figure out how to remove all the excess faces easily... If I make any progress with the method I'll post back :)

And thanks :D

WMHunterTLS said:
Looks awesome, but if you can make the end of the barrel smaller, it looks too long. And it is black like the rest of the weapon, looks awesome though. I love your renders.

I'll have to look at the barrel, I've only been using the WoF blueprints so far and haven't actually compared it to the in-game one, I jumped from it on to other models before I could make any real progress (I get bored far too easily :p). I'll fix that material as well next time I render, just searching for good materials for different renders ;)

Following up on this:

Belakor said:
... there's something else from Halo Wars that just caught my eye a few seconds ago, off to SW to see if I can do anything with it :)

Some early progress shots of the Halo Wars flamethrower tank, I've only spent a few minutes on it and there's still lots of detail to add:

3799274181_8ec9d5bcf9_m.jpg 3799273479_812e3ced37_m.jpg

This is based on the concept art, rather than the in-game images, because the concept art is bigger. The text is just for fun/a placeholder ;)

Need to find some shots of the back and opposite side of the tank to fill in those details.

Update: Some new renders of the tank:

3800630234_af7ce13613_m.jpg 3799811025_8a7a263b91_m.jpg

Added some more details and rendered a view of the back to show some of the other details. Also the colours will change from render to render, I could do them all the same but it's a lot of effort for crappy WIP renders ;) (Unless I can figure out how to save custom materials)

Belakor said:
It could possibly be sliced but I've never really looked at that with any of the models, I tried it once with an early version of the M6C SOCOM but it was a pain to work with. I would need to figure out how to remove all the excess faces easily... If I make any progress with the method I'll post back :)

You're working in SolidWorks, right? Try making a datum plane outside the model, then extruding a cut through the model. I don't remember if SW lets you set the cut to be outside the sketch, but if you can, that would be easiest. Do a save_as on the slice and make your drawing from that. It's crude, and really bad practice, but it'll get you drawings.

Some of that might not be exactly right for SW, I played with it a lot in uni, but I work in Pro/E now.

Loving your work, BTW.

Loess said:
You're working in SolidWorks, right? Try making a datum plane outside the model, then extruding a cut through the model. I don't remember if SW lets you set the cut to be outside the sketch, but if you can, that would be easiest. Do a save_as on the slice and make your drawing from that. It's crude, and really bad practice, but it'll get you drawings.

Some of that might not be exactly right for SW, I played with it a lot in uni, but I work in Pro/E now.

Loving your work, BTW.

Cool, thanks for that info :) I had a play this morning, not sure if I'm doing this exactly as I should be:

3802189468_196ba74fc8.jpg

14 planes spaced at 3mm and I then used the split command to cut it along those planes.

It seems to be working:

3801372613_6f59c783ca.jpg

I think I would then drop it in Illustrator and dump all the unneeded lines. The other thing I'm thinking of doing (when I get to it) is removing the mag and barrel and having cut-out sections in the slices so you could then drop a metal/plastic/wood/whatever barrel in and a removable mag... could leave a cavity for an ammo counter too, will see how I get on :)

I've got other stuff (commissioned work) to get to first though so this will be as far as I go for a little while, I'll try and move it up the list though (especially if I can secure some time on a laser cutter ;) )

Belakor said:
Here's a few more detail shots :)

... 3764320955_6fab67358a.jpg ...

The originals are 1000px wide, should be big enough to see more detail, click through to see them. I normally render at about 3000px but I don't share those incase someone rips them off and claims them as their own... not that that's happened to me before or anything :p

is it just me or it says seven on the 3rd one?

Belakor said:
Cool, thanks for that info :) I had a play this morning, not sure if I'm doing this exactly as I should be:

14 planes spaced at 3mm and I then used the split command to cut it along those planes.

Looks just like it should, Glad I could offer a little help. We solid modelers need to stick together. ;)

I have to say these models are absolutely gorgeous

and I will have to get a hold of someone who can

tell me what I would have to so to use the CNC machine at my school.

but gah damn I would look for something to get this done at another place as well

maybe in aluminum...

If you liked the concept of the BR, I suggest you give the cut-down AR concept a try. It's in the Art of H3 book on the ODST page.

odst_gun.jpg

Belakor said:

It seems to be working:

3801372613_6f59c783ca.jpg

I think I would then drop it in Illustrator and dump all the unneeded lines. The other thing I'm thinking of doing (when I get to it) is removing the mag and barrel and having cut-out sections in the slices so you could then drop a metal/plastic/wood/whatever barrel in and a removable mag... could leave a cavity for an ammo counter too, will see how I get on :)

I've got other stuff (commissioned work) to get to first though so this will be as far as I go for a little while, I'll try and move it up the list though (especially if I can secure some time on a laser cutter ;) )

When you have a 3d file in sketch up, how do you open it up after you touched it up or created it. Do you have to go to pepakura desinger. Please instruct.

4O5Th learner said:
is it just me or it says seven on the 3rd one?

You mean the Korean characters? According to the Halo wiki it does indeed say seven:

"In tribute to Bungie's usage of Asian characters on their weapons, two Korean characters are stamped on the right side of the laser module which stands for the number seven."

Loess said:
Looks just like it should, Glad I could offer a little help. We solid modelers need to stick together. ;)

That we do ;) Thanks again, I was in the car the other day and came up with a much more efficient way to do it. Pretty much as you first said just without all the excess stuff I added the first time through... I should really keep it simple ;)

Ronster said:
If you liked the concept of the BR, I suggest you give the cut-down AR concept a try. It's in the Art of H3 book on the ODST page.

odst_gun.jpg

I do have the Halo 3 Art of book but haven't looked through it in months because I know as soon as I do I'll start working on new things that I shouldn't :lol That does look pretty cool though and I don't think it would be all that hard... must resist urge to start :p

just beginning said:
When you have a 3d file in sketch up, how do you open it up after you touched it up or created it. Do you have to go to pepakura desinger. Please instruct.

I'm not really the person to ask about that as I've never really used Sketchup but there's bound to be people more knowledgeable when it comes to Sketchup that could help out.

Some stuff I recently rendered, first one of the H3: ODST grenades

3910853514_8f3bcfa6af_m.jpg 3910069521_d0c64108a0_m.jpg

Did the model a while ago but never rendered (there's too many models like that in my folder). Does anyone have any really good references of the grenades? Failing that I'll just wait until I get the game and update it then :)

and more renders of a slightly updated but still not finished M6C SOCOM:

3914382315_bdab0b7908_m.jpg 3914375511_c91b9c2919_m.jpg

3915161374_f0d2e63b55_m.jpg 3914384657_72ac561b28_m.jpg

Some pretty drastic changes were made to it but you'd never know it, the whole right side had to be cut off and done again because it somehow became lopsided when I was modeling it. All better know though

drgon47 said:
Dude, that looks very cool.

Thanks, glad you like it :)

It's not the concept AR but it is from the Art of Halo 3 book:

3918095659_884d632a3a.jpg

That's only half an hour or so of work, just sketching out all of the lines to then be extruded... though I turned off all the lines for the screenshot so it was easier to see (so it's not like I spent half an hour just modeling the start of the mag and two parts of the barrel ;) )

Forgot about the progress on this one:

3918026709_e97f8af9bf_m.jpg 3918024695_73449d7623_m.jpg

3918739440_8c2234bc44_m.jpg 3918739094_7b9f7055e8_m.jpg

The last pic shows all the current parts exploded. The body is designed to be machined in two pieces so the trigger can move, the stock, front grip and (eventually) the magazine are removable too. The stock has a pin system to lock it at different lengths.

Both are projects I do when I've got free time so they may take a while to complete.

mightymints said:
Dude, thats epic.

More "epicness" to follow :D (is that a word?)

3920785711_f4728ac246_m.jpg 3921619194_51288dd476_m.jpg

Now broken up into 15 pieces:

Body

Barrel

Barrel retainer screw

Front Grip

Two screws for the front grip (not unlike Chicago screws)

The front and rear sights with the front and rear sight inserts

Stock

Stock retainer pin

Stock shaft

the pin system for adjusting the length of the stock

Trigger

I made the barrel a separate piece to make it easier to machine, now it could easily be done in a lathe. There's still the mag and mag housing to do, that'll be another couple of parts at least, there'll probably be a couple of add-on pieces on the stock, and then there's all the bumpy grip things... I'm modeling them as separate (optional) pieces that fit in drilled holes. That way if it's going to be game accurate you just drill a bunch of holes and plug in the bumpy pieces :)

Now back to real work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back