Entry-Level Costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
flight suits and boots? or like a dickies jumpsuit and some patches or maybe the 405th logo silkscreened on the back

tlither said:
THIS MAN'S POST MADE ME CREAM MY CROTCHPIECE

This man has shedloads of my respect and I barely know him. This is one point I would have made myself for fear of losing my legs to some rabid 501st fanboy - there's little to no skill involved in the armors there anymore.

Those that can afford to MAKE the armor - fine. But it's hellishly expensive, VERY time-consuming, and ultimately, why make it when you can buy a base kit and paint it up for a fraction of the price? And two-thirds of the fanbase can't afford to either make OR buy the armor. So the 501st membership is ultimately reduced to two categories: elitists and rich kids. Now, I'm not belittling the 501st at all and I'm sure that most of the members are decent, dedicated people - but there's no skill involved in BUYING armor. It just removes you from the product - you're not wearing YOUR stuff. It's just someone else's stuff that you own.

The 405th allows us to create our own armor without being too weighed down with exacting standards - sure, the standards for armor will be high, but not overly so. Nobody in the 405th will whip out the measuring tape for each set of armor on display, and ditch the pieces that are even a micron out. Nobody is here to say 'you've got to have olive-drab green armor with midnight-black undertones, and be damned if you're going in without battle damage'.

Granted, we've got some reasonable limits from the start - nobody's going to be wandering in with oversized paper armor going 'olol can I haz Recon?' because the moment they do we're going to shove that person's face straight into the How To Make A Pep Armorsuit sticky. But hey, at the same time we're not all making near-identical cookie-cutter suits.

We're a unique fanbase that has a LOT of elbowroom for development and creativity, and I'm proud to be a member of this community during its development.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not disagreeing here, but I wanted to clarify a perspective that we'll likely need to take here:

The 501st makes their own costumes based on fanmade parts and kits. Granted, many of you will feel it's just "assembly" rather than being a costumer, but the kits DO require a degree of effort to turn the parts into wearable costumes, and include decisions about glueing, riveting, velcroing, applying snaps, and sometimes cutting for size, grinding edges, finding suitable undersuits/boots etc.

Those that purchase fully ready-made kits, are buying fanmade full kits from an individual that is dropping an existing suit, (which is rarer than you might think) thereby still following the guidelines for avoiding copyright prosecution. The rest, make their own almost entirely from scratch, or partially from scratch, only getting a few parts here and there.

The point is.. they officially DO "make" their own costumes. In fact, that's the wording on the 501st's stuff, which kept me out of it for a long time because I thought the stormtrooper kits weren't an acceptable method of joining the group. By the time I realized the truth of the matter, I had already abandoned the idea, and never joined. Halo costumes would officially follow those same descriptions.

It's a perspective that should be kept in-mind here. Effort levels may differ, but the respect shown a member that uses an "easier" route should be no different than those that "go it alone". Now, whether you secretly think a person is better or worse than another, is your own private deal, but we can't endorse or take an official stance that indicates any sort of difference... because we ALL make our own costumes.. see the perspective?

What it boils down to is that you have a Halo Universe costume that looks realistic (and possibly looks like it's included in the Halo Universe), you "made it", own it, and can wear it, you're willing to follow the basic rules, and therefore you're in. What the character might be, or what amount of money you spent, or time you spent on it, is immaterial to the act of fullfilling that requirement.

If Halo 4 included folks that ran around in jeans, white tshirt and a grocery bag on their head, guess what would suddenly open up as a basic entry-level costume.

Deadguy said:
If Halo 4 included folks that ran around in jeans, white tshirt and a grocery bag on their head, guess what would suddenly open up as a basic entry-level costume.

olol.jpg

Can I has Recon now?

Primal Weyland said:
This man has shedloads of my respect and I barely know him. This is one point I would have made myself for fear of losing my legs to some rabid 501st fanboy - there's little to no skill involved in the armors there anymore.

Um, Bull $#!T.

If you think there is no skill in putting together random plastic parts and somehow making it in to an awsome suit of armor you are sadly, sadly mistaken.

If you give the same set of armor to two different people they will not look the same at all.

If you suck at building armor then you suck at building armor, period. It does not matter if your suit is a Pep suit or a suit from Legendary Armor, it will still be a poorly built suit.

I had to laugh.

There's a LOT of a difference in building armor from the ground up as opposed to having pre-moulded pieces you only have to paint and strap up properly. So, you might suck at constructing a set from scratch, but hey, having a pre-made base to assemble... it's just like getting a prefabricated table from Ikea. Part A slots into Part B with some glue to hold it.

I have nothing against buying prefabricated suits, but it removes a lot of the identity from the suit. It's not something you've seen from the very first moment you began assembling the top helm pieces right down to when you slide your finished helm on over the balaclava, shoulder your MA5C, and get set to finish the fight.

Of course, two suits will always differ. That's natural - my Arctic Recon will be vastly different to Adam's olive-drab Mk VI, just as a Vader costume differs from a Scout Stormtrooper. You could paint up two Stormtrooper outfits differently, for heaven's sake - there is always going to be variation. As for skill: people learn. I don't believe in 'sucking' at anything - merely, you need the relevant practise and experience. No 'period' at the end of it - experience is open ended. You could take an ignorant 10-year-old who couldn't even build a house out of Lego, and with the right training he'll be able to construct Buckingham Palace.

Oh, please. Just when I was starting to make some reasonable headway in all of this.

Look, I'm not belittling prefab costumes at all. If I were I'd have to slam on Westerfield or BlueRealm or Legendary Armor* for the exact same thing. My belief is that people should be free to take whatever route they wish into assembling a decent set - whether it be Pepakura-based, straight-up clay moulding, or maybe they could get in touch with someone and have a set made for them - and really, more power to you for whatever you decide to do. I applaud you for wanting to build a set at all, and how you go about it is none of my damned business.

And heck, it's only personal opinion anyways, right? No need to start jumping up and down, screaming at me for it.

All I'm saying is that I *personally* wouldn't buy a prefabricated set because it removes a lot of the identity from the set. If I went and contacted Adam, and got him to send me a full set, sure, it'd be my armor because I'd technically own it. But in reality, it wouldn't be 'Primal Weyland's armor', it'd be 'Primal Weyland, wearing Adam's armor'. Same principle applies to how the 501st do their costuming - great, they have a pre-set costume that complies to the rigid standards they set up. I cannot fault that at all - it gives a standard.

What I personally find a little more quirky is the fact that just buying your armor, painting it up, and buckling some straps on, isn't as involved a process as sitting down and building from scratch. While I certainly can't complain about either process, I personally would like to be able to look at a finished set and say 'I built that' rather than 'I got the parts, buckled it all up and added a slick paintjob to it'.

And what real skill is there in just 'assembling' a set like that? Please tell me. Sure, it takes a rudimentary amount of skill to assemble a flatpacked table - but any idiot can do it if he's got a screwdriver, some PVA, the right nuts and bolts and decent instructions. Same goes for assembling a prefab suit - a lot of the hard work and personal identity is lost in the works.

I guess I can say the same for any suit, if I'm being open about the issue - there are enough tutorials on this site to help any reasonably intelligent person obtain the Pepakura files for a decent suit, print, cut and assemble those files, resin and glass them, bondo them, paint them and strap them up. But to me, that's far more involved than fixing up straps, having some fun with a few cans of paint, and setting up an undersuit. Sure, either takes skill, but to me... nothing compares to being the craftsman of your own set.

if I send my pieces off to Westerfield for him to use - he'd take a moulding of my work, sure, and he'd make multiple pulls to sell on. But what would it be? A Westerfield helm, or a Weyland Industries helm that Westerfield has been allowed to use, cast and sell?

It's all about identity.

*No offense, guys, but I would.

Yeah, the assembly line idea of glue piece a to piece b reaks remarkably of pep to me. I mean honestly, your still not going to be wearing "Primal Weyland" armor. Your going to be wearing something like Primal Weyland's FS model.. No matter how you slice it. Like the stormtrooper premade, we all are using the same (or simular) basis to create our armor, the same fricken pep print outs or halo images (for you sculpters). Any deviation from the "cookie cutter" look is going to be more or less attributed to a lack of skill or quality reference pictures (and in some rare occasions, such as sean, to an different artistic point of view, but very few people are as creative as him). Check out Doc, Bluerealm, and Spase's helms in the thread that had them all. They are almost impossible to tell apart, but that's because they were expertly made and excel in having the maximum level of detail. The point is, we ARE NOT original. We are either looking at the halo screens for reference, or directly printing out peperuka to try to assemble the most accurate costume possible. Ideally, if everyone was as skilled as those mentioned earlier, we would be walking around in nearly identical suits. If you look at my MKV helm, the only "character" it contains is that I didn't do nearly as well as sigma in making it, and so it deviates from the "cookie cutter" but not in a good way. If all our suits look identical, one of two things happened, either we all bought it from the same person, or we all have incredible amounts of skill and made it perfectly, regardless, the end result is the same.

The only way your going to really have a logical claim to "Primal Weyland" armor, is if you ditch the pep and try to add your own artistic touch like Sean, but so few people do that so I don't really feel like it's a strong point for an arguement.

Nobody said armor suits had to be the same. Nobody on this entire damned SITE said that.

As before: point me to another person on this furum that's going for a pure Recon suit - white main, red trim, purple armband. Please tell me if anyone else on this forum will be doing so. Then point me to a person that's going to make a suit that looks exactly like Adam's.

There's a vast difference between accuracy and originality - yes, we all use 'templates' if you will, but the point I'm getting at is how far you're willing to lean on those templates to get your armor. Do you go the so-called 'easy' route and just buy some stuff, spray it up, buckle it together and call it a Mk VI, or do you print, glue, resin, glass, bondo, spray and buckle yourself a Recon? Either's good - but I personally prefer to make my own stuff from the ground up. Hell, even if I have to do it from clay.

more power to ya, but if it come's out looking non movie quality, don't get mad just because the methods you personally enjoyed failed you. (IMO the most respected people here are the people who created incredible armor, Adam, link, sigma, bluerealm, thor, spase, doc, and so on, so good luck) but if you can't create good stuff, don't complain when it doesn't meet the criteria, and if you want cannon armor, and you build it based off of FS's models, no there's no rule that says it's going to look identical to everyone else, but odds are it's going to look pretty darn simular to all the rest (provided you do a good job, seriously his models combined with screenshots for reference really don't leave a ton of room for "artistic interpretation", they are extremely accurate) for a good example of just HOW simular quality builders off of the same accurate template can be "from scratch" just look at the many helmets one video thread. Those helmets are amazing, and almost impossible to tell apart. (they were all made by great people from the exact same template)

My point is very few of us are starting from scratch, 501st and us included. And if your willing to consider your build off the same template everyone uses that comes out looking cannon to be "personal" or custom, or whatever the heck you want to call it, you might want to consider that maybe the effort the 501st puts into their armor (assembly, painting ect) is enough to make it personal and custom to them. Just because they start with a different template does not diminish their efforts.

edit:
Primal Weyland said:
Nobody said armor suits had to be the same. Nobody on this entire damned SITE said that.
and for the record, neither did I.

This has turned into another heated war with you Weyland, and off topic as it is, however people want their armour or armor done is up to them, as long as it meets the clubs standards which is not currently set, so i would advise you to either stop arguing and be constructive with helping out on ideas for entry level costumes or take your opinions else where, this is a helpful community and we shouldnt bash on what is or is not okay, because that is moderators and soon(hopefully) to be creators of the official 405th club. now that is settled back on topic,

anything from ingame is allowed correct, well have there been any descriptions of a uniform in the books that has beed described in full that would be allowed, as from what deadguy said only certain costumes would be allowed and one from books were not entirely allowed unless it was specific in its description,

as for entry level costume, if someone is in the midst of creating armor but wishes to attend an event i think a sufficient dress uniform should be adequate attire such as the navy dress uniform at the beginning of halo 2 with what commander keyes and johnson were wearing. or something simple like captain keyes attire which i posted a few days ago, simple to get army surplus, medals, jumpsuit, boots, and name tag but it needs to have some resemblance to the actual uniform, like the as captain keyes with the pipe on his belt, tee hee

I had a nice post here about every single point made within the last two posts, and why they made me laugh... I realised, however, that sense is an attribute lost to this thread, so I'll do exactly what you suggested, Assaassin.

I'm not going to contribute at all. I'll prove you all wrong and come out in Arctic Recon armor, but other than that, I'll let you guys deal with the digging around here. I'm done expressing my opinions, because all this ever seems to earn anyone here is either a stupid dancing cat, or about five other members dogpiling the crap out of that member.

I put forth my discussion logically and without fuss - I made every apology to those I annoyed, and tried to keep things more or less mature. If you disagree with my opinions, fair enough, but don't attack me or my methods - I haven't done the sort to yours.

Therefore, and henceforth, I put forward one of my OWN thoughts, in the form of ASCII.

[Edit: Apr 14, 2008 12:00 AM]
This post has been edited for content not suitable for children.
The use of profanity or profane imagery is not appropriate for the 405th forums.
-Spase

Ok, so I'm at a loss here. Part of me wants to delete posts, because as I noted, it doesn't really matter HOW you arrive at the finish line, it just matters that you get there.

This thread is way off track now, but to illuminate the question that Weyland had... You can't has recon for the garbage bag costume, but as I mentioned, if it looked like that in Halo 4, then you'd be able to use it to join the 405th, which was the point, and remained on-topic.

Now, granted, if that character was in-game, we'd probably require that it was a pretty damn close match, to uphold some sense of standards and pride, but otherwise, no problem.

Yes, kits can be tricky.. there's an investment of time and effort, plus risk of screwing something up, etc. You want to make the comparison to other efforts on other types, but that's not the point.. there's no direct comparison, because if your paper is bad, you replace it without too much effort.. If a plastic kit part is accidentally trimmed too far, you could have some significant issues regarding fixing, or replacing it.

It's interesting to me though, how this conversation comes from the same person who claimed that the mold making part of this community was acting as though their way was the only way to do things, and belittled everything else. Sort of like what we're seeing here.

If someone would like to discuss entry-level costumes, and can stay away from the building and effort concepts, or the idea that one halo costume is better than another because of the methods used to get there... feel free to add to this thread.

Now, if you would LIKE to have that discussion, with regards to methods and what is better than another, and what you feel "should or shouldn't" be allowed in the club, please do so in a manner that doesn't attack anyone, or attempts to put you on a silver platter. Also, do it in another thread. You're entitled to an opinon, and you're entitled to voice it, as long as it's not attacking a group of people with any kind of derisiveness, or other negative approach. If it's not club related, it doesn't belong in this forum category anyways.

Ok.. not locking it yet.. as long as we're back on-topic now.

anything from ingame is allowed correct, well have there been any descriptions of a uniform in the books that has beed described in full that would be allowed, as from what deadguy said only certain costumes would be allowed and one from books were not entirely allowed unless it was specific in its description,

I was promoting a suggesting, rather than stating "how it is".. just so you know that. Personally, it's my opinion that if it's not visually in the actual game or advertisements, it shouldn't be included as a "canon" costume, because a written description can be interpreted many different ways to different folks.

For example, If I said a helmet was green, with a gold visor, and a split brim to the helmet, I could be describing a Halo1 style spartan helmet, or Halo 2, or MISTER chief's helmet...

A costume built based on descriptions only, could be allowed as a "non-canon", "just off camera", kinda' thing, but it can't be compared to canon, because there's not enough information availible to evaluate it.

Weyland sill has good points. He did bring up the amount of effort in a costume.

If we see H1 marines With out armor and H1 Navy as Entry Level Costumes then I think that would fafill the ezy costume spot. Buy it or sew it there will be guide line for how off canon it can be.

I do not think the BOOK costumes are going to be canon.

If the age gets set at 18 that will change this a bit. From hay mom I NEED $40.00 for this costume, to Hay I got payed to day I will go on e-buy and get that NEW ODST H4 a Radio to finish my to cool Hell Jumper Kit.

Weyland come back I on your side, for now....

Ok.. here's something that's back on-topic.

I was gettig some reference pics done on "Sierra 117" and noticed something that I thought I'd bring to everyone's attention.

There was a marine that spawned without any head covering of any kind, and one that had a Marine cap, just like Sergeant Johnson's.. instead of the helmet. I would hazard to suggest that the one without headcovering at all, lost his helmet, rather than had a uniform that didn't include it. As a result, that's not really a "canon uniform variant."

However, the one with a cap, (and sergeant Johnson was right near him.. so no confusion there) had obviously left the barracks without a helmet on in the first place. That's Canon.

Also, there was a Marine that spawned without the Shoulder armor (underarmor only, with one piece of armor attached.. the part with the five dimple pattern on it), and had bare forearms. She was female, BTW.. I don't know if that's a female-only variant, but that shouldn't matter for canon costuming purposes. Due to being the first marine running forward, a little off by herself, she appeared to be acting as point prior to finding the masterchief. So I guess she could be referred to as a scout variant.

That means a basic canon marine suit doesn't REQUIRE the helmet, shoulder gear, or forearm coverings.. which should make it more approachable, price-wise, plus give us Florida folks a chance to sigh a big sigh of relief, temperature-wise.. :)

I noticed that too as a variant for only that level.
The jungle armor has the chest armor and leggings.
But the rest can be mixed up a bit. I played last night
and found a marine without shoulder and forearm covers.
You can roll up the sleeves. :)

My perception of Canon is anything to do with the UNSC/HALO time period.

Games, Shorts by weta, books and any other material that is Officially Bungie recognized.. because after all They designed it.

In Contact Harvest the marines and militia wear O.D BDU's as stated in the book, and on the front cover. so that means to me O.D bdu's are conon.

The same with items like Web gear and Suppressed sniper rifles and SMG's, MA5k's and the SPARTAN 3' ect...Its all certified part of the time line.

As regards to items like web gear..being military inclined im not going to go and put pink pouches on my Armour or webgear, Im going to take some knowlage of Current MOLLE designs of gear and adapt it to look a bit more Futuristic..

As this is one of the main works of Science Fiction ive been able to "grow up with", (thats captured my imagination, and enabled me to get really deep into the "extended universe" side of things) im planning on making whatever non Spartan 2 Costume I decide on to be THE very best of my imagination, weather its molded armour, preformed or personally made by me, to me, whatever work I put into my costume is going to satisfy me at the end and hopefully be a pleasure to look at and a talking point for others.

Ive chosen NON Spartan 2 purely because im a foot shy of the 7ft "canon" size, could pass for a Spartan 3 though!

Now some people are Bound to disagree, because thats human nature and who we are as individuals..But thats what i want out of my imagination and fandom of HALO...And to be honest no ones going to burst that bubble..

Doesn't mean I don't want to fit in to anything elce the other Brits on here are doing at all, As i really don't see myself getting over to the US any time soon..

ShArK..OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back