Filler Primer and/or Putty Australia

DemonakaDemi

Hi all,
I'm Australian based and looking for some recommendations for good brands of filler primer (and spot putty if you think that would be necessary as well. I'm new to needing to prime and paint my prints). I've heard good things about rust oleum 2 in 1 filler primer, however I cannot seem to find it on any Australian websites - except maybe eBay. Bunnings, Supercheap, Mitre 10 etc. don't seem to stock it anymore.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I would prefer to know what to aim for rather than hope for the best and potentially ruin my print.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't know what is available over there. However, I seen people get good results with UV resin and baby powder as a way to get rid of layer lines and I've also seen a few using wood filler in place of spot putty.

The homebrand SCA used to have a really good spray putty, but that brand got discontinued ~6 months ago. They've since released a new homebrand line called Polycraft, albeit I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. xPointbreakx has used the spray putty, though I can't find it online, so here is the spray primer:

For spot filler, they often call it car bog or body filler. Again I've only used the SCA brand previously, so I can't really testify for any of the other products yet.

Supercheap Auto do have a spray putty, not sure why it isn't on the website though. They are currently waiting for fresh stock as the first big batch they got had a chemical issue the took an excessive amount of time to thin out before spraying so most peoples nozzles would block up. They have redone the formula and are awaiting fresh stock to arrive.

I'm saying that though I did find it to be a good product once you could get it to spray out properly.
Messenger_creation_a81c8706-8009-4cb3-8636-2353c4bbd3b2.jpeg

Last edited:
Context for this reply: I am not someone that believes in doing that "Darkwing Dad" thing of slathering the entire part in thinned down body filler because I don't want to sand. I use **SPOT** putty for spots. So none of this will be helpful if you're looking for a material to thin and apply over the entire part.
1714601826152.png

Point of clarification for those that have never used the Bondo Spot & glazing putty.
It is not body filler. Bondo is a brand and they sell many products. Most commonly used in this context of props and cosplay is their Spot & glazing Putty that comes in a tube like toothpaste. It is single part (no hardener required) and is about the consistency of stiff cake frosting. It is wonderful stuff and bonds well to sanded parts and dries in about 10 mins. In the States its about US$7/tube everywhere from auto parts stores to WalMart with very little waste since you can apply it directly and in tiny dabs as needed. Here in AU its hard to find and pretty much have to order from out of country. If you can find it on Amazon and have it shipped be aware it comes in various size tubes that look alike. You can get it as small as 4.5 ounces all the way up to 16ounces so don't mistake a medium price on a smaller tube as a good deal.
1714600509486.png

What kills ya trying to get this ordered in from out of country is shipping. US$75 freight on a $45 purchase that will be boxed smaller than a pair of sneakers. US$20 per tube delivered by the time you add it up.
1714601272058.png

From what I understand the equivalent to this in the UK is the UPOL brand. But I haven't used that or found it in AU.

This is the last tube in my personal stash. As you can see in my 'filler bin' I've started using putties from the model/RC store. Vallejo for examples makes a liquid-ish plastic putty and Tamiya putty is smooth and thicker.
1714600311328.png

Most body fillers are two-part (you have to mix a hardener to the base) and you have a limited pot-life time to apply it. Sure its cheaper by quantity but its more wasteful especially in small quantity and hard to get the mix ratio right when you're trying to do a 10:1 with a batch the size of a kidney bean. However - I did recently run across this stuff that when used in thin coats is 1 part (no hardener) so it gives me a little hope that it might be more conducive to armor use. But I have not yet tried it so I can't vouche for it just yet.

1714600874459.png

Spray putty is a whole 'nother animal to tube/tin putty. As PlanetAlexander said the SCA brand has been out of production for months or at least no longer available through Supercheap Auto since they switched suppliers. I'm down to a few cans at this point and will have to start looking at other brands soon. But basically its like a very-high-build filler primer. Smooth and even application from a spray can but indiscriminate and will fill grooves so be sure to clean those out before filling them totally. I tend to keep several different primers on hand for different uses. If you do that be sure to test them for compatibility so brand A doesn't make brand B crack and spider web.

2024-05-02_08-02-10.PNG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back