kitnip's Halo 4 Master Chief foam build with custom paint scheme and undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your work is very precise and has a factory-made look to it rather than hand-made, which is very hard to pull off with foam. Excellent craftswomanship here! This is going to be a nice-looking outfit.

Man! Every time you make something it turns out looking so much better than mine! :)
How you do dat?
In all seriousness though, I find my self at a loss of words. Amazing!
Haha, it's funny you say this, because right after I posted my update, I looked at your thread and was like, "K, his stuff looks better then mine, how does he do it?". Really though, your stuff is awesome.

Your work is very precise and has a factory-made look to it rather than hand-made, which is very hard to pull off with foam. Excellent craftswomanship here! This is going to be a nice-looking outfit.
Thanks! I think the white foam helps by making it more plastic looking.
That is some excellent foam work.

I didn't read the whole thread very closely but your work reminds me a lot of LilTyrant's Kat build, so you may want to check her thread out if you haven't already:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35790-KAT-ARMOR-BUILD-with-custom-undersuit
Thanks! I know LilTyrant's build very well. She's the one that inspired me to start my suit :)

ok thats just awesome, how did u scale the chest so perfectly???
Lol thanks. Well I used pepakura to help get me going. I scaled it down just a bit for myself and then I made a really crappy cardboard draft to see how it looked. When I thought it was good, I started making my own templates by using the pepakura ones as guidelines.

Another update!

I got the cod and butt pieces done.

3 main pieces made up the cod and ab piece
Asc0Mmul.jpg
Ignore the gunkiness on the bottom part of the top piece. I need to sand it but my sandy-thingy is lost within my work area and probably never to be found again lol.

I did some foam strips on the back so that the cod would bend at those strips and therefore my main piece on the outside won`t wrinkle.
L74BZmEl.jpg

Building the butt!
svYkOlXl.jpg

5K6Bg6Kl.jpg

And both of them detailed
paRAVBkl.jpg

I'll get a pictures of them with the suit as soon as I figure out how I'm going to mount those pieces to my undersuit.

I ALSO started working on my weapon! I decided to go with the MA5D because it's not a crazy difficult piece and it's one of the most recognized Halo guns.

I used the sliced MA5C file from L3X BLU3R1V3R (thank you for these :D)
NR86j1ll.jpg

I used 3 sheets of the 3/8" foam and ran a wire through the middle. I'll be making a static lit screen, but more on that once I get it done.

Building progress:
fo8yWPEl.jpg

c0n37Hdl.jpg

iFUzY1Nl.jpg

The clip part of the gun is where I will keep the battery pack so it can be slid in and out.
CUtJblNl.jpg

And where I'm at right now.
DitgoP8l.jpg

Took me about an entire day to get at this point (we're talking like 10+ hours) but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. Just needs some more detailing and I will be installing some magnets and hopefully they will be strong enough to go through some foam and attach to my back.

But it's late and I have to work tomorrow so I'm headed to bed. G'night spartans!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning a foam assault rifle with magnets as well, it looks great so far! I'll be watching this part closely to see how to make it all work properly. :)

I was planning a foam assault rifle with magnets as well, it looks great so far! I'll be watching this part closely to see how to make it all work properly. :)
Thanks, it took a while to build but I really like the results!

Wow I really like that MA5D, and all the ideas you have with it. Nice work!
Thank you :)

Small Update!

Finished building my assault rifle!

Originally for the magnets, I tried some I got from work that are actually meant for cows lol. Sometimes dairy cows swallow nails and crazy things so they swallow these magnets and everything they eat that is metal sticks to them. They are a little bulky but have good strength. I tried hiding them underneath foam but they were not powerful enough to keep a good hold through the foam thickness.

So that didn't work. Then I looked everywhere in Edmonton for the Neodymium or Rare Earth Magnets and I could NOT find anything... So I just bought the most powerful ceramic ones I could find and mounted them like so:

lSSMdFSl.jpg

Not really sure if I like the fact that they are so visible... Although when it is painted, the magnets will blend in. They stick good to my back but I can't jump up and down like crazy without my gun falling off.

9WAjRr2l.jpg

I bought some rare earth magnets off Amazon and I may just completely redo the magnet part but I am going to wait until I see how strong they are first.

Anyways other then that, I got the screen done!

So I wired up two blue LEDs, a couple resistors and 4.5V of batteries (3 AA).
2IAuk3bl.jpg

I printed these off and literally cut the letters and symbols out, then glued the remaining screen to a piece of frosted plastic
5pTo1iFl.jpg

I feel like if you can print this off on transparent paper like this build, that would work better but I wasn't really sure how to go about that, so I just tried this method first.

Here is the result:
Mbu19Dfl.jpg

TJhGEmHl.jpg

Unfortunately, it was super tiny and the top part got cut off just a bit. But you get the point and I still like how it turned out :)

IE8JECel.jpg

YDFChA5l.jpg

The flashlight in there right now is just temporary until I find a little one that twists to turn on.

Thats all for now! Thighs up next!!

Wow! If when I build my ma5d, if it turns out half this good I will be one happy camper. :) you should be very proud of yourself. You doing an excellent job on everything you build.

Very nice my dear! :)
This is very reminiscent of the LilTyrant and RoxyRoo days :)

WOW! This is an awesome build! You have done a great job! I think I'm going to follow your foot steps on my build if that's okay with you.

Could have sworn I posted on here after your greaves update but oh well. I hate always sounding redundant on threads like this with such excellent craftsmanship, but- such excellent craftsmanship! Seriously though, everything looks awesome, and I really love the way the rifle lays on the back like that. And so much progress geez... stop working so hard.

Your armour looks bloody awesome! Did you learn to foam build from a tutorial? I'd love to give it a go but I'm pretty stuck on where to start. Since the forums died for all that time it seems loads of the tutorial links are dead :(

All of these pieces fit together so seamlessly, you make it look so easy! Practice and experience show a great deal in builds like these. Those little details always intimidate me when I try to draw out the templates. -_-; Such beautiful work, I look forward to more!

Wow! If when I build my ma5d, if it turns out half this good I will be one happy camper. :) you should be very proud of yourself. You doing an excellent job on everything you build.
Thank you!! And I can say the exact same thing to you, your stuff is looking fantastic!

Very nice my dear! :)
This is very reminiscent of the LilTyrant and RoxyRoo days :)
You have no idea how happy that makes me to hear you say that lol. To be compared is truly amazing.

very awesome build so far keep up the wonderful work
Thanks!

WOW! This is an awesome build! You have done a great job! I think I'm going to follow your foot steps on my build if that's okay with you.
Yes! I saw your forearms and you are well on your way!!
Could have sworn I posted on here after your greaves update but oh well. I hate always sounding redundant on threads like this with such excellent craftsmanship, but- such excellent craftsmanship! Seriously though, everything looks awesome, and I really love the way the rifle lays on the back like that. And so much progress geez... stop working so hard.
Lol, thanks! I have been working pretty hard on it. Hoping to get it done for Edmonton Comic Expo at the end of September. MOAR WORK INC!

Your armour looks bloody awesome! Did you learn to foam build from a tutorial? I'd love to give it a go but I'm pretty stuck on where to start. Since the forums died for all that time it seems loads of the tutorial links are dead :(
Thank yooou. I watched drack's foam tutorials before I started working with foam and they really helped a lot. Everything else I just learned from watching people's progress and how they built their pieces.

All of these pieces fit together so seamlessly, you make it look so easy! Practice and experience show a great deal in builds like these. Those little details always intimidate me when I try to draw out the templates. -_-; Such beautiful work, I look forward to more!
Thanks! They really aren't that seamless but I don't really have any high def pictures so maybe you just can't tell hah!

UPDATE

DUN DUN DUN... I have finished my thighs and therefore finished all my armor!

Thighs:
Base
H3HsQqkl.jpg

Detailed
pqEmN4Wl.jpg

fv77rXBl.jpg

Parachute clips so I can take them off without having to take all my other stuff off. Much needed for girls :)
ZAA2Xr1l.jpg

Fully armored legs
Tt05jPql.jpg

iObZGnTl.jpg

And now full armor!
rduOCgtl.jpg

OPcl1FJl.jpg

23wbMFcl.jpg

My cod and butt pieces are both sticking on with tape lol. So they aren't really sitting correctly. Once my undersuit is sewn, I'm thinking I will use snaps to fasten them.

Assault Rifle!!!
OkVS1P3l.jpg

Thanks for all the love guys, I'm going to try and keep the updates coming!

Onto the undersuit! I'm kinda scared... Sewing machines intimidate me. EEK!

one of the best foam armors I think I've ever seen. Amazing work. Now looking forward to the under suit. Have snaps to fasten the armor would be a nice idea, and if done correctly would make the look so much cleaner. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back