mawrTRON's Fred 104 Build log (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have so much skill with the foam I bet you could just make a foam helmet and it would look just as good

Hi guys, theres been a lot of activity in the forums lately, I had to scroll all the way down to find the thread!

So had my first suit up today and I am pretty happy with the scaling. Pics below
There is still a few adjustments to be made but over all the scale is as good as I will be able to get it.
received_10158023233775532.jpeg
received_10158023233490532.jpeg
received_10158023233455532.jpeg

Keep in mind that there is still shoulder pads/hip pads and hands to be added which should fill the suit out nicely.

I will be working on additional elements of the undersuit in this week, then Ill be moving onto the helmet.

That suit looks FANTASTIC!!!!! Wow, great job man.

Ten super big thumbs up.

Additional elements on the undersuit like filler pieces around the waist? What other spots would you add to?

So much awesomeness! Although, I feel like the forearms could be more narrow, or a little longer. And true you still have hands, and extra under suit parts to add. Also, didn't realize you had extra room inside the torso. Maybe you could foam out, and shape some pecs to cover your chest and come out the sides of the torso. Legs are spot on. Remember by any means I'm not being critical, I just wanna see the very best of any one's build!

That suit looks FANTASTIC!!!!! Wow, great job man.

Ten super big thumbs up.

Additional elements on the undersuit like filler pieces around the waist? What other spots would you add to?
So there are shoulder pads that will broaden my shoulders. There are also areas like on the thigh pieces that could be added too.

So much awesomeness! Although, I feel like the forearms could be more narrow, or a little longer. And true you still have hands, and extra under suit parts to add. Also, didn't realize you had extra room inside the torso. Maybe you could foam out, and shape some pecs to cover your chest and come out the sides of the torso. Legs are spot on. Remember by any means I'm not being critical, I just wanna see the very best of any one's build!

I think I need to build the gloves and all undersuit elements before I can decide if the forearms need adjusting. I will re evaluate once everything been foamed.
Oh and the torso thing, I am planning to fill out any space with 5mm foam for snugg fitting.

Cool deal, although I know the feeling all to well. Having to re-scale, and re-do a piece. Not fun. But, epic builds require patience, time, and passion to achieve a suit of armor of highest quality! Keep up the great work! Lol, I was actually coming to check your thread this morning to see if ya posted anything, and bam what a surprise!

That looks so awesome! Its incredibly clean, good job!

WOW........I'm floored. I don't think I can stand next to you if we were both suited up.....You are killing it and me......at least I know that my sizing is correct as we both have the giant bobble head look w/ out the helmet on. Fantastic foam work as always.

Damn looks amazing
Thank you, pretty happy with it so far

Woah...I guess I didn't realize you had that much done until it was all on! Great work man.
Thanks. Still a lot of work to go though.

DUDE! it looks perfect!
it looks identical to the in-game model!
your making me blush

That looks so awesome! Its incredibly clean, good job!
Thank you!

WOW........I'm floored. I don't think I can stand next to you if we were both suited up.....You are killing it and me......at least I know that my sizing is correct as we both have the giant bobble head look w/ out the helmet on. Fantastic foam work as always.
The bobble head is pretty hard to avoid unless you are 7 foot tall. (Im only 5"10) The only way to really combat this to make the helmet as small as possible. I plan to make the helmet with a removable lower back section so it will fit snugly around my head.

Thats the plan anyway :/

So it has been a long and busy weekend the mawrTRON camp. The helmet has been fiberglassed and I have sealed and undercoated the suit.

Below is a timelapse of me glassing the helmet.

Firstly I re-enforced any soft/squishy areas of the helmet with pieces of ridged carboard glued to the inside.
The I added EVA foam I-beams in a 'X' pattern to stop the cardstock from warping.

I then mounted everything onto a cardboard tube.
It was 38c the day I was doing this so I conducted some tests with the resin to try and get the working time to 12 minutes.
My theory is if the resin takes too long to go hard there a bigger risk of warping due the cardstock getting saturated.
I pre mark my paper cups with the desired ratios and move onto my next step.

I then proceed to resin the outside, then glass the inside of the helmet.

I did how ever fall a bit short on the resin so I will need to complete this before I can start attacking the helmet with body filler.

All and all the helmet is dam near perfectly symetrical and I cant wait to sand it.

Will take pictures this evening

Below is a time lapse of the sealing and first coat of paint on the suit.

I used a 50/50 mix of water and PVA to seal the foam, then I followed with a coat of pure PVA to complete the seal.

I converted the RGB colour of the lightst part of the suit to a PANTONE colour and took it into the paint shop to have it mixed.
I have opted to use acrylic paints this time due to costs, I also like the matt finish of the paint.

I must admit I am not 100% satisfied with the brightness of the colour. However the armor will appear darker once the weathering has been applied.

I have been testing this theory out and once again I will post images when I am home tonight.

One thing I did like is how the colour appears different depending on the lighting conditions of the enviroment.

Here it looks hella green
20170206_120719.jpg

And here it looks hella blue
20170206_120756.jpg

This very true to the game which is awesome.

*sigh* still a loong long way to go before competion.

.............I can't express...the wonder of this suit......this is possibly the best suit I've ever seen. wow...
it's amazing, man...one thing's for sure, I'm going to try some of your techniques. now you need a full undersuit...

so, just checking: you sealed the suit with PVA, then you painted it with acrylic paint, Right? and you got the acrylic from a regular, local, hardware store, correct? I'm just having trouble figuring out where to get it.

.............I can't express...the wonder of this suit......this is possibly the best suit I've ever seen. wow...
it's amazing, man...one thing's for sure, I'm going to try some of your techniques. now you need a full undersuit...

so, just checking: you sealed the suit with PVA, then you painted it with acrylic paint, Right? and you got the acrylic from a regular, local, hardware store, correct? I'm just having trouble figuring out where to get it.
Yep. Just regular acrylic from the hardware store. I maybe sealing it again with PVA before weathering to pump up the gloss levels (PVA has a great satin/semigloss sheen, I have used it to varnish pallet funature!). But it is all very experimental at this stage. First time using acrylics for a suit :/

Awesome job.... suit looks killer. Doesn't get much more accurate then of this.i agree with mblackwell1002 one best I've seen period. Still can't believe you foamed this.

Loved the time lapse! Thanks for posting. I really want your cardboard tube and stand, that looked super helpful.

One tip that might save you time measuring and marking all your cups: Put two of the same cups together, fill the inner cup to the desired amount with water (I like 2oz). Mark where this comes to on the outer cup and cut the outer cup at that line. You can now put any of your other cups into the outer cup and use it to show the fill line without getting your outer "measuring cup" dirty. I also do extra ones at 1oz and 4oz so that I have options.

Again, love the work. Sub'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back