My first cosplay (in progress)

40MikeActual

Hey there everyone!
Also, sorry If I put this in the wrong place!

I've begun the process of 3d printing my own custom suit! I got the files from someone, and so far they are great to work with.
For those wondering I'm running a Elegoo Neptune 3 Plus and I'm using PLA as my print material.

I wanted an easier suit to make for my first time doing a cosplay build so I decided to go with a Rakshasa armor set, however I've got it set up like an ODST.
I'm going to be using a modified Firefall ODST helmet variant from Halo Infinite, ODST shoulder attachments and chest piece as well.

To be frank with you I kinda was a bit overwhelmed by the scaling I was going to have to do for an actual proper ODST kit. So I've decided why not just do my own thing. So far It's working out in my favor. I use Armorsmith to scale my parts to an avatar with my measurements on it. I've only seen issues with the legs, feet and chest. However I solved those pretty quickly and dialed in my measurements to the suit pieces. The chest portion was easy enough, and the legs I actually had help with from a friend of mine.

I don't quite understand the rules here yet so to avoid making anyone angry: I will not be uploading pictures of the renders I have from the person who I got my 3D files from. However if I find out later I am able to do this I will update this with a picture. (If I am able to update this... I don't quite know yet, this is my first post.)
But the pictures I have provided are the process that I have made so far on the suit. I am currently printing out my 2nd shoulder attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpg
    IMG_2750.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 56
Prints are looking great!

If you want to update a post you've made, all you need to do is click the edit button at the bottom and you can make any changes you want!

So, the first piece of my 2nd shoulder attachment finished sometime this morning, I just grabbed it off the print bed.
Also, here is a render of roughly what I'm going for with my finished suit, it will just not be the same color as the render.

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • b4f68a_c1078e5aaaaa4ba2961f09367b95e606mv2.png
    b4f68a_c1078e5aaaaa4ba2961f09367b95e606mv2.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 51
Haha! Update number 2 is in the house!
So. I got my all the parts for my shoulders completed, and now I'm moving onto the rest of the arm.
If I'm not sick anymore, then I might start sanding what I have down this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2776.jpg
    IMG_2776.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Those are some FRESH prints. The clean up work should be a breeze for them. I think the Halo 3 parts in combination with whats usable for Rakshasa will look stellar when finished. What is your planned color scheme?

Last edited:
Those are some FRESH prints. The clean up work should be a breeze for them. I think the Halo 3 parts in combination with whats usable for Rakshasa will look stellar when finished. What is your planned color scheme?
It's a Rakshasa base, but I really want to lean in to the ODST vibe of it. So I'm thinking of going with black and maroon. I will be using black as a primary but I really haven't decided if I want to use maroon for sure.

Small update. But progress is progress. Got the hand pieces printed out.
Edit: the knuckles are perfect, but the other part is a bit too big... gonna move on with the project and come back to that.
IMG_2784.jpg

Edit 1: 1/13/2024: To condense future post I will just editing this for a few updates, then start a new comment.
So.. Edit 1. Got the one of the Forearms completely printed, I will be printing another one soon. I asked around on the 405th discord and have been advised to just use padding for the extra space to avoid resizing and printing another one.
IMG_2796.jpg
IMG_2797.jpg
IMG_2794.jpg

Last edited:
Hello once again to the wonderful people here at the 405th! I am back and I have a small update to my progress.
I was kind of getting stressed with the suit so I took a week off from making it and did a small prop as a side project. I decided to go ahead and make the magnum pistol variant from Halo Evolutions: Headhunters. I used From the Brink Studios modular halo 3 magnum file for this one. As I'm typing this it is 2 AM where I live, and I just pulled a piece off the bed of my printer. I ended up having an issue with multiple parts and had to reprint the slide and the trigger guard. I have the trigger guard printing now. So, next time you see me update this post you are reading I will have completed my assembly and painting for this prop.
But anyways here is how it looks for now, I will not be able to compete this side project till some time next week though.
Edit 1: Ha ha! I lied. I edit this 16 hours later! Added another picture with the new handle and guard.
IMG_2822.jpg
IMG_2824.jpg
IMG_2825.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg

Last edited:
I broke it. I broke the magnum so many times. I had to reprint the slide because my original one was bent. Reprinted the grip because I wanted one that was a single piece instead of one I had to assemble, I dropped that one and broke it then reprinted with 6 walls and 100% infill. Now I have broken the main body for the second time. This one was 300g of filament. I am extremely angry, I was just about to sand the main piece and now I have to remake it for the third time. Which will take me about 30 hours to reprint a new one and more material.
You have no idea how angry I am. 2 grips, 3 main bodys, 3 handles and 2 trigger guards. I have had to reprint this entire thing almost 3 times. This isn't getting done anytime soon.
I had an issue with my printer having a major failure and I'm trying to solve that, so until then I am kind of dead in the water with both props I'm making.
IMG_2863.jpg

I had several major failure points during my spnkr print so I know that anger you’re feeling dude. Sometimes it’s best to just take a break, step back, yell into the void, and attack whatever is causing those failures. In my case, it was a bad roll of filament and a clogged tip. You’ll get there and that thing will look amazing when it’s done.

Hello once again to the wonderful people here at the 405th! I am back and I have a small update to my progress.
I was kind of getting stressed with the suit so I took a week off from making it and did a small prop as a side project. I decided to go ahead and make the magnum pistol variant from Halo Evolutions: Headhunters. I used From the Brink Studios modular halo 3 magnum file for this one. As I'm typing this it is 2 AM where I live, and I just pulled a piece off the bed of my printer. I ended up having an issue with multiple parts and had to reprint the slide and the trigger guard. I have the trigger guard printing now. So, next time you see me update this post you are reading I will have completed my assembly and painting for this prop.
But anyways here is how it looks for now, I will not be able to compete this side project till some time next week though.
Edit 1: Ha ha! I lied. I edit this 16 hours later! Added another picture with the new handle and guard.
View attachment 340719View attachment 340721View attachment 340722View attachment 340749
damnnnn im really loving this pistol! I might have to make it myself!

I broke it. I broke the magnum so many times. I had to reprint the slide because my original one was bent. Reprinted the grip because I wanted one that was a single piece instead of one I had to assemble, I dropped that one and broke it then reprinted with 6 walls and 100% infill. Now I have broken the main body for the second time. This one was 300g of filament. I am extremely angry, I was just about to sand the main piece and now I have to remake it for the third time. Which will take me about 30 hours to reprint a new one and more material.
You have no idea how angry I am. 2 grips, 3 main bodys, 3 handles and 2 trigger guards. I have had to reprint this entire thing almost 3 times. This isn't getting done anytime soon.
I had an issue with my printer having a major failure and I'm trying to solve that, so until then I am kind of dead in the water with both props I'm making.

That really sucks :(

What material are your printing, and at which temperature? Having to print with 6 walls and 100% infill sounds rather extreme, there may be another way to increase print stregth.

That really sucks :(

What material are your printing, and at which temperature? Having to print with 6 walls and 100% infill sounds rather extreme, there may be another way to increase print stregth.
I am printing with PLA from Elegoo at 205 Celsius. I recently switched to SunLu brand PLA and it clogged my machine so bad I needed to order a special tool. So I am kind of dead in the water until that gets here and I can clear the major clog. I looked into the design of the main part that I had broken and the part that broke was only 4 walls thick. So no matter what I do it will always be the same thickness, I will be reprinting it soon once I fix my machine and this time I will only be using 15% infill with 5 walls.

I am printing with PLA from Elegoo at 205 Celsius. I recently switched to SunLu brand PLA and it clogged my machine so bad I needed to order a special tool. So I am kind of dead in the water until that gets here and I can clear the major clog. I looked into the design of the main part that I had broken and the part that broke was only 4 walls thick. So no matter what I do it will always be the same thickness, I will be reprinting it soon once I fix my machine and this time I will only be using 15% infill with 5 walls.
Hmm, PLA(+) at 205c doesn't strike me as particularly fragile, so that probably isn't it. I'm surprised you had such problems with Sunlu though, they are the OEM for Bambulab filament and I've gone through almost 10kg of their recycled stuff without too much issue.

I guess you're waiting for one of those pusher rod-type uncloggers? In the mean time, you could try doing a couple of cold pulls, that usually fixes clogs for me (because you actually pull out whatever caused the clog, instead of jamming it further into the nozzle)

I had a similar type of issue a while ago with my Kobra 2 max. I couldn't diagnose it right up until I disassembled the extruder fully and found a bit of filament clogged in the PTFE pipe between the nozzle and the heat block.
Your printer might have come with some small tubes in a bag (3 inches long, maybe blue?). Try disassembling and seeing if the clog is there, that type of clog is very difficult to clear from the outside, I had to start ramming it out with a hammer and eventually replace the PTFE tube.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back