(Updated 08/13) Iron Man Helmet BUILD + video! (Pics Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memebr

Hello friends, i already introduced myself in the sticked thread but i will do it again!

My name is Mário, 26, I'm from Brazil, and recently i started to building an Iron man Helmet to test my abilities and to acquire some practice with pepakura, resining, fiberglassing, bondoing and sanding to build my Star Wars helmets and Halo helmets.

during the thread i will tell you guys about all the things i'm using to make it, since I'm on a different country i don't have the same stuff you guys have there, and things here are alot more expensive.

All the credits to the Pepakura file creator (Samuray).
Here is the assembly of the printed pepakura file:

Materials used:

-300g/m² A4 paper (can be compared to 120LB Cardstock)
-X-acto Knife with several different blades and a sharpening stone to re-sharp the used blades (trust me, this works flawlessly)
-Super glue and high heat hotglue

IMG_20120325_041954-640.jpg

IMG_20120325_042005-640.jpg

IMG_20120315_215728.jpg

IMG_20120325_230528-640.jpg

IMG_20120325_230608-640.jpg

IMG_20120325_230634-640.jpg

i already resined and fiberglassed it up and start the bondoing, but i will upload those pictures later when i get home.

Really nice pep work you've done there. I look forward to more on this.:D

Just got home and uploaded the rest:

Materials used:

-27fl Oz of Ambar Polyester Resin (the strongest one)
-Universal Resin Catalyzer
-40"X60" Fiber glass cloth (this was too thick so, next time i have to use a thiner one)
-Alot of 2" and 1.5" wide brushes ( 12 total )
-Disposable Latex procedure gloves
-3M 8013 Respirators (6 total, every one gives you 2h to work safe with resin)
-Sealed Protection goggles ( very important too while working with Resin too)

1st Coat:

DSC00159.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

2nd Coat:

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

gotta go to my post graduation now, but as soon i get back i will post the rest!

nice build bro!!! looking pretty good and nothing looks warped cant wait to see more

congratz on graduation have fun at grad night!!!

I'm back... the graduation party was not that good.

well, here its a video of me fiberglassing the helmet, i'm speaking on my native language but I subtitled it for you guys so just click on the CC button to load the subs and enjoy!

Materials used:
-Rotary Tool (dremel look a like)
-Rotary tool Carving & Engraving and Grinding accessories
-Fiberglass cloth
-Polyester resin
-Resin catalyzer
-3M 8013 Respirators
-Sealed Protection goggles

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work, it is looking really good so far...4:14 of your video was probably the best! lol...Keep up the good work, cant wait for the next upload.

Really nice pep work you've done there. I look forward to more on this.:D

Thank you ^^

nice build bro!!! looking pretty good and nothing looks warped cant wait to see more

congratz on graduation have fun at grad night!!!

thanks pall, but the party was not that good lol

Nice work, it is looking really good so far...4:14 of your video was probably the best! lol...Keep up the good work, cant wait for the next upload.

thank you bro! later i will upload the bondo part that I'm stuck on for like 3 weeks now, since i just work on the helmet during the weekends

Stay tuned guys!

next part:

Materials used:

-Polyester based paste (similar to bondo)
-Plastic based paste (similar to bondo scrtach filler)
-Small repairs putty
-Dry Sandpaper of various grids 80, 150, 180, 220, 320, 450, 600
-Orbital Palm Sander
-Sander block
-Rotary Tool
-small hand saw

safety:
-3M 8013 used Respirators (you can still use those for the dust when they are old for organic vapors)
-PATIENCE... alot of it!

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

Those Lil X's are marking the place that i have to put more "Bondo" to fill it up

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

Almoust there:

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

faceplate cutted:

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

thats it for today.

now the progress of the topic will be a lil slower ( actualy alot slower)

Total time working on it til now: 68h

Wow, you really managed to get your helmet smooth. The more hours the better I would say, its paying off so far to get it as clean as possible. Nice job cutting out the face-plate as well, I bet that was a little nerve-racking!

daammmnn it is looking purty. showed u really put time and so much effort.

updates will be slow...is okay u got the hard parts done, definitely gonna be worth the wait cant wait to see em!!

an small update

DSC00223.jpg

the helmet itself is a lil big for my head, but otherwise my head would never pass trough....

i hope you guys enjoy!

It is looking really good! As for the size of the helmet, if you are going to add some foam on the inside, that should make it more comfortable and fit better. Keep up the good work!

yeah, i will add some foam inside the helmet, but 1st i need to finish all the dirty part, wish is: sanding till i die or the piece becomes perfect.

this weekend i will post some more progress on the helmet and maybe start to cut a clone trooper out of the paper.

another small update of the day:

i was working on the helmet to smooth the faceplate edges, annoying job, but worth it! now the edges are all smooth and tight

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

and here is the faceplate, i need to fill some micro holes with detailing polyester paste yet

DSC00236.jpg

Materials used:

-Polyester based paste (similar to bondo)
-Dry Sandpaper of various grids 80, 150, 180, 220, 320, 450, 600
-Sander block
-Painting mask cover tape (Bondo don't stick to this!)

safety:
-3M 8013
-Latex Gloves

till the next update guys!

I'm back!

another small update, just showing the 1st PU primer coat

i hope you guys enjoy!

Materials used:

-PU Primer
-PU primer catalyst
-Painting Solvents
-Compressor with attachments for paint job

safety:
-3M 8013
-Latex Gloves

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

there are alot of holes to fill with quick putty and alot to fix on the shape.

thats it for today, tomorrow i will upload the pictures of the magnetic lock of the neck piece.

Total working time till now: 86h

Man.. really starting to take shape, looking great. I can tell, it's gonna fantastic when it's done, just with your patience alone. Now onto the question: I'm curious how you cut the faceplate out, around the little cheek area, the piece that fills the gap between the faceplate and left/right cheek/chin. (Hope you see what I'm talking about, lol) I would guess it was cut with a dremel drill bit, maybe? Anyway, keep up the fantastic work.:cool

Man.. really starting to take shape, looking great. I can tell, it's gonna fantastic when it's done, just with your patience alone. Now onto the question: I'm curious how you cut the faceplate out, around the little cheek area, the piece that fills the gap between the faceplate and left/right cheek/chin. (Hope you see what I'm talking about, lol) I would guess it was cut with a dremel drill bit, maybe? Anyway, keep up the fantastic work.:cool

Thank you alot, sir.

I used the Dremel TR569 Cutting Bit to cut the faceplate around the lil-cheeck/chin area and a 1/16 small handsaw

i'll take the opportunity to say what i did to prepare myself for this project, maybe other noob can make good use of it:

It's difficult (almost impossible) to find those accessories here where i live, so i had to import all the dremel attachments.
Before starting the project, i did a huge research here and on other foruns, in order to make a plan for each step of the building process, that way when i started the project i was prepared to do a decent work.

the research involved every step i would pass during the building process:
peping the file, fiberglassing, bondoing, cutting, smoothing, preparing the piece for painting and etc and all the tools i would need.

all of this preparing process took me 3 months, so, yes! It's a long way to walk if you wanna a nice finished piece.

thank you again for the kind comment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back