very new to this need help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizinski117

I would like to start off that I have little experience with suit put have made weapon props before and am in the process of making a Magnum. I would like some advice in making a ODST suit first off I don't know how to properly get the sizing right for a Template, second what material should I use for the most durable suit.

I would like to start off that I have little experience with suit put have made weapon props before and am in the process of making a Magnum. I would like some advice in making a ODST suit first off I don't know how to properly get the sizing right for a Template, second what material should I use for the most durable suit.
There's the lurching suspicion that you want to play paintball or airsoft with the armor...I HIGHLY recommend not using armor for airsoft or paintball because...
[A] Armor restricts your movement by a substantial amount, and gets VERY hot after some time. Running around? you'd be sweating tsunamis after 10 minutes.

Armor would break pretty much on contact from a flying projectile, if it was Pepakura. Foam might survive as it is spongy and would probably absorb the impact, but it would probably not survive more than a game or two of airsoft or paintball.

[C] Due to the small point of impact of an airsoft BB, it would shatter Pepakura to pieces. Imagine breaking glass. Now imagine a shard embedded in your leg. No-go.

I would not suggest armor for paintball or airsoft, but I'll just set you up for the safest route possible...

Overall, I would probably feel safest saying foam is the most durable, assuming you assemble it properly and diligently. Use contact cement as an adhesive for maximum durability. I would also coat the armor in some sort of casting resin like smooth-on 300 series or something, but in a lot of coats. So build the armor out of EVA foam, then sand it a little (foam sands surprisingly well), then apply some thinned-out Smooth-On 300 series resin, allow it to cure, then sand the surface to be flat. Apply more resin, cure, sand. more resin, cure, sand. Repeat until the armor is about as hard as a rock, but try to preserve the detail areas. Also, don't sand too much or you'll sand through the resin and start sanding the foam. if you do accidentally sand the foam after resin is applied, add more resin in that area and then buff it with some sandpaper. more resin, then buff, more resin, then sand the surface flat. If you do this method, you'll have a very strong suit of armor. of the resin is compromised, there will be foam underneath to support it. PLus, the foam is porous and soaks up the resin, so the resin won't really fracture too bad and fall apart. just don't be too rough on the armor.

now, if you're not using armor for paintball or airsoft...foam would still be best. for durability.

sorry about the bold...I didn't mean to do that. I posted it and then all the sudden it was bold...now it won't let me edit and fix it.

There's the lurching suspicion that you want to play paintball or airsoft with the armor...I HIGHLY recommend not using armor for airsoft or paintball because...
[A] Armor restricts your movement by a substantial amount, and gets VERY hot after some time. Running around? you'd be sweating tsunamis after 10 minutes.

Armor would break pretty much on contact from a flying projectile, if it was Pepakura. Foam might survive as it is spongy and would probably absorb the impact, but it would probably not survive more than a game or two of airsoft or paintball.

[C] Due to the small point of impact of an airsoft BB, it would shatter Pepakura to pieces. Imagine breaking glass. Now imagine a shard embedded in your leg. No-go.

I would not suggest armor for paintball or airsoft, but I'll just set you up for the safest route possible...

Overall, I would probably feel safest saying foam is the most durable, assuming you assemble it properly and diligently. Use contact cement as an adhesive for maximum durability. I would also coat the armor in some sort of casting resin like smooth-on 300 series or something, but in a lot of coats. So build the armor out of EVA foam, then sand it a little (foam sands surprisingly well), then apply some thinned-out Smooth-On 300 series resin, allow it to cure, then sand the surface to be flat. Apply more resin, cure, sand. more resin, cure, sand. Repeat until the armor is about as hard as a rock, but try to preserve the detail areas. Also, don't sand too much or you'll sand through the resin and start sanding the foam. if you do accidentally sand the foam after resin is applied, add more resin in that area and then buff it with some sandpaper. more resin, then buff, more resin, then sand the surface flat. If you do this method, you'll have a very strong suit of armor. of the resin is compromised, there will be foam underneath to support it. PLus, the foam is porous and soaks up the resin, so the resin won't really fracture too bad and fall apart. just don't be too rough on the armor.

now, if you're not using armor for paintball or airsoft...foam would still be best. for durability.
I plan on using it for cosplay only

sorry about the bold...I didn't mean to do that. I posted it and then all the sudden it was bold...now it won't let me edit and fix it.

I mean, it kind of adds emphasis to the sentiment.

I've been punched many times while in EVA because kiddos want to see how it holds up but I'd rather not get hit by a paintball in it. Seems like a lot of time and effort to make a pretty target for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back