Foam Acrylic paint help

H5iskindaundr8d

Hey guys H5 here, gotta a question. So when my spray painted foam props are finished, I usually detail it using acrylic paints. But some of the colors I choose tend to reveal the color underneath it. For example, if I use red paint on a black helmet, the black would still pop out from underneath it. How would I make it to where the doesn’t allow that to happen? Thanks.
(also my first post :p)

Hey man, nice to finally see you on the forums!

So this seems to a an issue of the paint being too thin, I'd recommend doing a few thin coats as opposed to a single thick coat. you could also prime it in white or grey so it makes the colour pop a bit more and mask off the areas you want in black, red, etc. Also one really simple thing I find myself forgetting all the time, make sure you shake your rattlecan enough! There's a huge difference on coverage between a properly shaken can vs the opposite.

Best of luck!

Hey man, nice to finally see you on the forums!

So this seems to a an issue of the paint being too thin, I'd recommend doing a few thin coats as opposed to a single thick coat. you could also prime it in white or grey so it makes the colour pop a bit more and mask off the areas you want in black, red, etc. Also one really simple thing I find myself forgetting all the time, make sure you shake your rattlecan enough! There's a huge difference on coverage between a properly shaken can vs the opposite.

Best of luck!
Preciate the advice, will do !

Usually when I spray paint, I try to start with the brightest colour and work my way to the darkest. But if you’re just detailing, multiple thin coats can help, or perhaps even doing a layer of white primer and then the colour.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back