Arc's Energy Sword/ Assault Rifle Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCsaber987

Jr Member
UPDATED: I lately returned to this mostly adandoned project and finished the Assault Rifle:

[attachment=12935:Rifle HUD.JPG]

[attachment=12936:AR Side Long.JPG]

[attachment=12937:AR Side.JPG]

Thanks for looking!

Well any progress is better than none. Keep at it at least you are making yours. I'm buying one from Sean lol.

Progress:

Top View (Now downsized)

[attachment=12927:Sword Top.JPG]

(Side? Top? The thin bits!)

[attachment=12928:Energy Sword Top.JPG]

The round parts on the end will be paper mached (or something that gives similar effect) and the handle isn't detailed yet (obviously)

Thanks for looking, back soon!

ARCsaber987 said:
Although noboy's really following it:

Top View (This pic file is big, I forgot to downsize it)

[img]
(Side? Top? The thin bits!)

The round parts on the end will be paper mached (or something that gives similar effect) and [b]the handle isn't detailed yet (obviously)[/b]

Thanks for looking, back soon![/QUOTE]

Really? It's not? I thought that's how it's supposed to look :p lol

All in all, I'd say you've got a good start to your Plasma Sword there, dude.

I know you'd mentioned using paper mache or something similar for the round parts, but how will you be applying the details on the grip? Clay? Bondo? Sheet styrene? o_O

Not to nitpick or anything, but... in terms of constructive criticism, I think you may have gotten the round parts a little [i]too[/i] big. Just my opinion, though. Could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to nitpick or anything, but... in terms of constructive criticism, I think you may have gotten the round parts a little too big. Just my opinion, though. Could be wrong.

Actually, I think your right, i just built them to the size of the piece of wood i randomly stuck under there for support (and seriously, I really do like getting constructive criticism, so your not picky)

Looking at the Plasma Sword schematic I drew up a while back, viewing the handle from the side (as seen in the attached pic in Post # 01) those end pieces measure about 2 1/2" wide.

As the end pieces are more oval than circular, looking at it from the front (as seen in the second attached pic in Post # 03) I'd say they'd probably measure 2" or a little less.

Oh, and just FYI, the middle protrusion on the grip measures 1 7/8" from the main part of the grip.

Again, that's based on the schematic I did. Maybe you could use that as a general guideline to help with resizing those details, though :cool:

P.S.: What are the dimensions of your grip, btw?

Nice start!! what did you make it out of? and im also making a energy sword and i don't know what do make the top part out of, the part that glows.

Halo3Lover117 said:
Nice start!! what did you make it out of? and im also making a energy sword and i don't know what do make the top part out of, the part that glows.

You mean the blades? That's easy; use flourescent plexiglass. If you can wire a couple ultra-bright LEDs into the grip, the light should diffuse through enough of the blades (given its flourescent properties) to give you the proper effect ;)

Of course, you'd need a template showing the outline of the blades to cut them out, lol.

SPARTAN II said:
You mean the blades? That's easy; use flourescent plexiglass. If you can wire a couple ultra-bright LEDs into the grip, the light should diffuse through enough of the blades (given its flourescent properties) to give you the proper effect ;)

Of course, you'd need a template showing the outline of the blades to cut them out, lol.

Is there a tut about doing the sword blades?

Well, I know our veteran moderator Sean Bradley did a build for a Plasma Sword (did an awesome job on it, too). Don't know where that thread would be, so your best bet would be to PM him and ask. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to give you a few tips on how to do that part of the build.

Well there is a pdf in the pep request topic. But i suggest going the way like sean bradly did. Its badass his sword.

Well, yes... there is the PDF pep file for the dual blades, but I didn't bother mentioning it as in my opinion that just one doesn't do the design justice. One simply doesn't get the right look with it (a paper blade just doesn't work). I'd definately suggest scratch-building your own set of blades for the Plasma Sword. It'll look a helluva lot better.

P.S.: Sorry about hijacking your thread ARC, lol.

Looks like a great start to me, keep up the good work!

P.S. if you need help with lighting, or electrical let me know through a PM!

spookyshadow said:
Looks like a great start to me, keep up the good work!

P.S. if you need help with lighting, or electrical let me know through a PM!

I dont think I'm gonna do light up blades for while, simply because I don't have the money or time, but thanks for the offer!

Oh, and SPARTAN II, thanks for those dementions. I'll check them against my handle and see the difference. (Mines probably a bit big/small because I sorta just started building and just continued if it looked ok)

UPDATE: My dementions are pretty much the same as what you say Spartan II, except the middle protrusion is a bit longer (about 2 and a bit inches). Thanks for those!

More progress pics soon

ARCsaber987 said:
I dont think I'm gonna do light up blades for while, simply because I don't have the money or time, but thanks for the offer!

Your very welcome!

ARCsaber987 said:

Oh, and SPARTAN II, thanks for those dementions. I'll check them against my handle and see the difference. (Mines probably a bit big/small because I sorta just started building and just continued if it looked ok)

UPDATE: My dementions are pretty much the same as what you say Spartan II, except the middle protrusion is a bit longer (about 2 and a bit inches). Thanks for those!

More progress pics soon

No problem, dude. Glad I could be of help :)

Now show us some pics, dammit!:lol:

Ok, on the weekend I did the sides (people are using fibreglass and I'm still using good old paper and diluted glue :)/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> " border="0" alt="smile.gif" />)

I also worked on my AR which doesn't have it's own WIP, I thought I'd just show them both here.

Here they are together:

[attachment=12929:Sword + Rifle 50%.JPG]

(The colours a bit off in the photo, I just did it quickly)

I'm not playing exact detail on either of them, but if anyone has a decent, easy way of making the energy sword handle look reasonable please tell me!

ARCsaber987 said:
Ok, on the weekend I did the sides (people are using fibreglass and I'm still using good old paper and diluted glue :))
I also worked on my AR which doesn't have it's own WIP, I thought I'd just show them both here.
Here they are together:

(The colours a bit off in the photo, I just did it quickly)

I'm not playing exact detail on either of them, but [b]if anyone has a decent, easy way of making the energy sword handle look reasonable please tell me![/b]

Oh, and I'm going to put some metal on the sword so I can have a magnet in my pocket (So it 'magically' attaches like in Halo 3)[/QUOTE]

Finally! Some [i]pics![/i] :p J/k

BOLD # 1: Nice! You're making an AR entirely out of wood, huh? Looks really good so far. Just whose design did you base it on? Btw, I know you said you're not going for exacting game-accurate detail on it, but will you be adding any surface details to the basic build?

BOLD # 2: If you like, I could mail you a copy of the Plasma Sword schematic to use as reference. Already had another request for that one, lol. Let me know, dude ;)

Those shematics for the sword would be cool to have.

I don't know how much detail will go into the rifle, I'll try and do as much as possible without doing all the tiny little things (the rifles wood with some card by the way).

Thanks for all the input mate!

I hope to work on one of them this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back