Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress:

Another successful weekend away. Put 15 hours in. That doesn't include set up or clean up.. That's 15 hours with either a putty knife in my hand or a sander.

Here's my Bondo station. Got to use my parent's propane patio heater.
View attachment 251569

And here was my sanding station so cold. I don't think it was much warmer than 40 F. Times like this that really makes me question why I am doing this. :p
View attachment 251570
Nice progress! Your Robocop armor is turning out great! If you need a blaster, look HERE! And you can practice your aim with THIS!!

Make your work area safer!!

Make your kitchen safer!!!

xD

lol, I'm totally messing. :D Your Reach armor is looking great so far, it's starting to look really clean from what I can tell!

Feliz Navidad!
20171222_140219.jpg

Progress:

Another long weekend down. My mom was tired of the bondo smell finding its way into the house from the garage so I was banished to the top of the barn. On the upside, it has a TV! (may make the progress a little slower but it keeps my spirits up.)
20171224_105836.jpg

Not much to show this stage of the game, but I do feel I've really refined my bondo process so I'm ready to put it in to words for those who care to follow along.

Steps for shaping with body filler (bondo):

Bondo is a brand, like Kleenex, that got famous for a product. Even though they make many other products when most people say bondo they are referring to body filler often used in automotive cosmetic repair.

First you need what you're bondoing to be reinforced because you'll be applying lots of pressure to sand it smooth.

Always work in small batches. I never mix more than two ounces at a time (about the size of a golf ball) and often only one ounce. It only takes a small amount of hardener, about the size of a #2 pencil eraser for 1-2 ounces. I like to mix it up using a chop stick as it is easy to clean off and reuse.

Step 1- Apply your first layer using a plastic putty knife. Be careful where you apply it. It is easy to get the bondo into places, hard to get it out. Your focus here is on creating shape. Many surfaces you are turning from flat to curved which means some areas will have lots of bondo some will have very little. [insert sketch of pep layers] Don't worry about leaving little mountain peaks in random spots, step two will make quick work of those.

Step 2 - After drying, sand down with 40 or 60 grit sandpaper using either a sanding block, orbital, oscillating or mouse sander.. Something flat. Quickly sand into into the shape you wanted. Don't try to make it smooth, you don't want to sand away all the work you've done applying the bondo.

Tip - Don't be afraid to change your sand paper often. You're likely to wear out the backer pads if you use a piece of sand paper too long. Don't let things get too hot, take a break.

Step 3 - Think of this as your last coat of bondo as you apply another layer. Again the focus is trying to create the shape you want. This time also try to leave the areas fairly smooth using your putty knives. It still doesn't need to be perfect. Should look something like this.
20171224_190128_001.jpg

Step 4 - Take your same sanding devices as before but this time use 120 grit. It will clog up the sandpaper fast, but man does it leave a good finish. Here's the same piece as above after hitting it with just a 5" orbital sander for less than five minutes.
20171224_190146.jpg
The goal this time is to get smooth faces. *you won't get every pit out* but it should be nice and flat or curved. Again though, be careful not to sand all your work away.

Tip - You can get different color hardeners so that you can tell when you've sanded through one layer.

Step 5 - The shape you've wanted should be there. All that's left is decently sized pits, maybe some broken up edges and some spots you might have missed entirely. Apply bondo to these places. To fill in pits press your putty knife down hard scraping the bondo into the shallow spots. You do not want to create another layer, only fill in what is missing.

Step 6 - Hand sand with 220 grit. Use files to give real clean edges to hard to reach flat places. Use a dremel to clean the hard to reach curved places.

Step 7 - Use spot putty to fill in any last and final pits. Again press the putty knife in hard as to not add more layers.

Step 8 - Sand with 320 grit to get it smooth than a baby's bottom.

If that sounds like a lot that's because it is, once you've heard step 8 in your hands you'll know it was worth it.

*Note - if a piece has a lot of levels it may be best to do most of these steps for one level before applying bondo to other levels. This will help maintain your details.
20171224_124210.jpg

CURRENTLY: All of my pieces are either done or almost done with step 4. I'm on the downward slope here. :)

And a little teaser... I did a test fitting to see where and how I wanted my shoulder pieces to fit together. You may also notice a new addition to the family. :love: And I'm not talking about the cat.

20171222_171042.jpg

Last edited:
PerniciousDuke Everythings looking great. That little shotgun the new member? Don’t remember seeing that one. Was that done on your printer?
Thanks! Yes it is the new member. And no, I didn't print it. Previously the topic of this now dead thread. Project got put on hold as I was not able to find a glue suitable for gluing such large pieces of PLA together to my standards. I've since found one and I couldn't be happier with it. I can actually do the pump action with this thing one handed with no fear. I'll be resurrecting that thread soon to explain more about the 3d printed stuff. (Still haven't turned on my printer.)

Thanks! Yes it is the new member. And no, I didn't print it. Previously the topic of this now dead thread. Project got put on hold as I was not able to find a glue suitable for gluing such large pieces of PLA together to my standards. I've since found one and I couldn't be happier with it. I can actually do the pump action with this thing one handed with no fear. I'll be resurrecting that thread soon to explain more about the 3d printed stuff. (Still haven't turned on my printer.)
Y'know, super glue is one of the strongest adhesives in the world with some of the quickest bonding times. If you get the right brand, you won't be disappointed. There are brands out there that can lift thousands of pounds with just a few drops.

Nice progress so far! You're getting so close! The parts are getting a lot smoother, what's funny is that they actually look a bit shiny...that is so strange. Awesome, man!

This counts as progress!! ;)

Don't forget to [insert sketch of pep layers] :p

Love the progress so far! And I'm loooving the shotgun too, looking forward too more work on that! And man you've really come a long way with your work stations, ''twas not so long ago you were working on the curb of a sidewalk behind your backyard...oh how the time flies.

Also cats in progress photos are always a win (y)

Y'know, super glue is one of the strongest adhesives in the world with some of the quickest bonding times. If you get the right brand, you won't be disappointed. There are brands out there that can lift thousands of pounds with just a few drops.
Trust me, this stuff is waaaaaaay better than super glue.

And man you've really come a long way with your work stations, ''twas not so long ago you were working on the curb of a sidewalk behind your backyard...oh how the time flies.
Haha, I'm thinking if I start a prop building group I'll call it Vagrant Cosplay. Did you see in this last one I have a pretzel warmer!? Lol

What are you using to glue the pieces together?
Edit: sorry this was already asked, I missed that there were more messages on the next page.

You guys are relentless! :p It's Weld-On #4. It's marketed for acrylics. All I know is that it works wonders for PLA and that as far as I can tell it is similar to ABS slurry in that it disintegrates the plastic so that once it melts and hardens your build is one solid piece. So far it doesn't seem to work on anything else. Doesn't even leave any film on your fingers.

But again, still more tests that I would like to do to confirm this.

ePlastics Mobile Store

Hey mblackwell1002 and anyone else doing 3d printing or just likes making things smooth.. I found this incredible deal on Spot Putty..3M Bondo 00907 60455055941 Glaze, Green, 4.5 oz | RSHughes.com... It says it's green but I got it and it is the same red stuff I spent twice as much on before. Even if it was green I wouldn't have mind. SI3RRA 117 you use spot putty too right?
Thanks for the link. Yes for small seams and such. If there’s heavy smoothing needed or misaligned seams I use regular body filler.

Thanks for the link. Yes for small seams and such. If there’s heavy smoothing needed or misaligned seams I use regular body filler.
I'm a big fan of spot putty. For me it sands much faster than regular Bondo and the bonus of not having to mix it. Seriously, I coat the entire piece as my final layer with pep. Also working out pretty well for this shotgun.
20171228_185449.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back