1st Build First Armor

AgentNevada

Hi, so working on figuring out what I'm going to need for my first two armor sets. The first being just the default ODST armor our character wears in Halo 3 ODST and then my Spartan in Halo Reach. In all honesty I'm not entirely sure if I should go foam for my first armor or 3D printer (My family has a couple that I can use). So mostly looking for advice on what type I go with and then any suggestions or things I should definitely avoid doing while doing my first builds. Also if you guys have any suggestions for what kind of files I should follow/use for either armor feel free to recommend seeing as I definitely been struggling on figuring out what's actually good or not for them.

Also for my ODST I am looking to add some medical based stuff too it, because my ODST character is a medic.

First video is my halo reach armor and then second is my Halo 3: ODST. Also I hope the videos are alright since screenshots weren't exactly giving me the best quality to reference for y'all.

Welcome to the party! Fellow Washingtonian here also a week and a half deep into my first build. I’m 3D printing my Halo Reach armor as well and having a blast so far. For files, I would point you here first.

Check out the categories for other flavors of ODST as well. Anniversary, etc. You can also utilize websites like Thingiverse and cgtrader.

Eyyy, nice to see a fellow peepo! Definitely will keep the other websites in mind and I’ll go take a look at that armor once I’m on pc. Wishing ya luck with your first build!

Welcome on board. The best tip I can give is to double check the sizing if you decide to do a 3D Print armor. Every file out there has its own pros and cons and its up to you to get to know them and find out whats best for yourself :)

If you watch the other, older welcome-posts over the years you can get a nice overview of what ppl struggled with in the beignning.

Welcome on board. The best tip I can give is to double check the sizing if you decide to do a 3D Print armor. Every file out there has its own pros and cons and its up to you to get to know them and find out whats best for yourself :)

If you watch the other, older welcome-posts over the years you can get a nice overview of what ppl struggled with in the beignning.
Man I am actively fighting this. Armorsmith has such a learning curve when it comes to making sure the pieces actually fit. It puts measurements in weird places sometimes. It’s “to scale” but the avatar proportions are dissimilar to my actual body shape in a lot of ways that I size a piece for specific part of my arm for instance, but then when it actually goes on my arms it’s inches away from the “max circumference.”

I just learned how to change opacity and I started making “size rings” of my actual body measurements so I can toss them on the print bed and compare before I waste a 19 hour print.

Tip: You mentioned both ODST and Spartan. Do the ODST first, end to end - versus trying to do them both at the same time. Its the looser tolerance for learning sizing with less fear of joint lock ups.

Tip: Sounds like your family is at least a little familiar with printing or you wouldn't have 2 machines. Work your way up to armor. Start with props and such. Develop a technique and understanding and settings that get you strength without excess weight. An extra 3% material adds up over the entire suit on a 12 hour convention day - but too thin and you sand through the walls or its just too fragile.
Yeah it works.jpg

Attachments

• 2024-08-25_16-03-15.PNG
    2024-08-25_16-03-15.PNG
    411.5 KB · Views: 11
Do the ODST first, end to end
I second this. Not just because the ODST has simpler tolerances, or because there are lots of 3D printable versions out there, but because having two projects actively being worked on seems like a nightmare. I don't know how much room you have in your workspace, but expect all the parts to take up way more space than the finished products takes. Being able to spread out and take stock of your project while working on it without feeling constrained is very helpful. Now that I have completed my ODST armor all the parts nest into each other into a smaller package, and I have begun looking into making a Mark V(B) spartan as well.

fullbody-spartan.png

Tip: You mentioned both ODST and Spartan. Do the ODST first, end to end - versus trying to do them both at the same time. Its the looser tolerance for learning sizing with less fear of joint lock ups.

Tip: Sounds like your family is at least a little familiar with printing or you wouldn't have 2 machines. Work your way up to armor. Start with props and such. Develop a technique and understanding and settings that get you strength without excess weight. An extra 3% material adds up over the entire suit on a 12 hour convention day - but too thin and you sand through the walls or its just too fragile.
View attachment 352367
How did you do the "Half-Helmet- Thing" in amorsmith? Or did you just uploaded a cuted file?

Right click and go to “specific clip plane” then choose the one that matches the slice you’re looking for. Pretty useful!
Thank you. To come back to AgentNevada problem: With this option its really easy to use amror smith.
A Mistake I recently made was to just take care that my head fits into the helmet. The smales gap was right at the chin. So I scaled it up until my chin fits in. The outcome was a total bubble-head helmet bcs. I dindt payed atention to the other parts of the head.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back