First Build - Halo Reach Armor

Printing printing so much printing! I’ve probably done about 400 hours in the last four weeks, running this thing nearly non-stop. Progressing slowly through everything but thankfully hitting less sizing snags.

Speaking of sizing, I cut up the torso pieces and printed them at 0.3mm draft settings, 5% infill, and chopped off all the details so I could make a sizing skeleton. It took about 20 hours for the test pieces versus 24+ per piece when I do them in detail. Here is the result!

IMG_9487.jpeg

IMG_9488.jpeg

Miiiight be a little too big still, but I also think I welded the pieces together wrong which is making a little bit more of a gap than it should be. Putting this over my head was VERY exciting though and it’s great to get a hit of dopamine after the boring progress of printing. Also I imagine this is what the inside of Noble-6’s armor looked like at the end of Reach.

I also tried my hand at welding the PLA with a soldering iron and holy crap was that a roaring success. I was sitting here with glue and clamps and waiting and thought “well this is a draft I should try a new skill.” I’ve never touched a soldering iron in my life (and grabbed the hot part once) but this was SO easy and SO fast! I watched that one guy’s YouTube video and wore a respirator just in case. I didn’t bother making them pretty especially since they’re on the inside but here’s a shot of my seams just for reference or anyone else thinking of welding. More to come later, back to printing!

IMG_9489.jpeg

Printing printing so much printing! I’ve probably done about 400 hours in the last four weeks, running this thing nearly non-stop. Progressing slowly through everything but thankfully hitting less sizing snags.

Speaking of sizing, I cut up the torso pieces and printed them at 0.3mm draft settings, 5% infill, and chopped off all the details so I could make a sizing skeleton. It took about 20 hours for the test pieces versus 24+ per piece when I do them in detail. Here is the result!

View attachment 352851

View attachment 352852

Miiiight be a little too big still, but I also think I welded the pieces together wrong which is making a little bit more of a gap than it should be. Putting this over my head was VERY exciting though and it’s great to get a hit of dopamine after the boring progress of printing. Also I imagine this is what the inside of Noble-6’s armor looked like at the end of Reach.

I also tried my hand at welding the PLA with a soldering iron and holy crap was that a roaring success. I was sitting here with glue and clamps and waiting and thought “well this is a draft I should try a new skill.” I’ve never touched a soldering iron in my life (and grabbed the hot part once) but this was SO easy and SO fast! I watched that one guy’s YouTube video and wore a respirator just in case. I didn’t bother making them pretty especially since they’re on the inside but here’s a shot of my seams just for reference or anyone else thinking of welding. More to come later, back to printing!

View attachment 352853
yeah i glued my one part then got the bright idea to solder the seems even with the respirator it was almost gagging an toxic wow never did that again but i think i kill 3 brain cells cause i drool alot now..lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back