Halo 3 Marine (W.I.P.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason 078

I’m going with a bit of a speed build here. Having just finished a major project that someone ordered, and taking a couple weeks off, I feel the need to do something for myself. That’s the reason I’m going with one of the easier armors in Halo: the Halo 3 Marine.

For the initial phase of my build, I’m going with the soft cap and no weapons. My reasoning is that it’s summer time, which is predicted to be rather hot, and there are a couple of cons I’ll be going to that has a zero replica firearm policy. Because it will still be considered a full Halo suit, I can get into the 405th, while also building an MA5 Series Individual Combat Weapons System, M6 Personal Defense Weapon System, and CH252 for the phase II variant.

The armor will all be made using pepakura. I’m using Vrogy’s files for all of the pieces, but one. For the butt armor, I plan to use a custom fanny pack. I’ll be using EpoxAmite to harden it, Smooth-Cast to slush it, and then EpoxAmite to harden the fiberglass. Instead of Bondo, I’ll be using Plasti-Paste. Finally, I’ll use the normal Bondo glazing putty to finish it all.

Painting will be done with a black self-etching auto primer followed by a silver hammered-finish spray paint. The main color will be Olive Drab. Rather than dry-brushing the edges to show weathering and wear, I’ll lightly sand through the OD to the silver. For some of the details, I’ll use battleship gray (such as the central raised plate of the chest armor). It will be given a semi-gloss finish. It will be weathered by spraying it with a mix of 1 cup winder, 3 drops black acrylic, 2 drops brown acrylic, and 1 drop tan acrylic.

halo-marine2.jpg

I’ll be basing the majority of my build on the above image. This includes the buckles and pieces that look different from the in-game model (such as no black flap over the fly). However, I’ll also be including the various rivets and such.

Now, allow me to describe what I’ll be doing through text. As an author, this is how I organize my notes. Some people find it annoying or long-winded, but you don’t have to read it. I’ll be posting lots of pictures within the coming days. For simplicity-sake, I’m going top-down, inside-out, like I’m used to because of my experience writing 501st CRLs. So, let’s begin.

* * *​

PATROL CAP
This will be just a normal OD 8-point cap with a pewter UNSCDF pin. I’ll weather the hat to look worn.

SHIRT
The shirt will be a British desert DPM combat shirt (uniform fabric sleeves and underarmor body). I’ll be attaching a pair of 1” nylon straps with a center bar buckle.

VEST
The vest will be custom-made black denim short-sleeve vest. It’ll include a pair of straps at the end of the sleeves with a side-release buckle and silver slide. It will include cloth-covered foam spine armor.

SHOULDER ARMOR
The shoulder armor will be made of pepakura. I’ll include custom details not present on the pep model. The sides will be cut off and include a hinge. The details will be painted battle ship gray and gunmetal.

ELBOW PADS
The elbow pads will be custom made using padded green-dyed-black denim with elastic.

ELBOW ARMOR
The elbow armor will be made of pepakura.

GAUNTLET POUCH
The gauntlet pouch is made from black denim. It will include a pair of nylon straps sewn to it with a center-bar buckle. It will include a clip-lock.

GLOVES
The gloves are a pair of short-cuff denim gloves. They will have a cloth-covered foam pad sewn to the back. The front of the pad will include a snap-on black-primered sintra knuckle plate.

TORSO ARMOR
The torso armor will be made of pepakura. The neck will include denim-covered foam pads. The shoulder will include a padded strap with gray cloth and a 1” strap with side-release buckle and associated hardware. The chest will include a cut-out with an elastic-pulled strap. It will also include a trio of 2” slides with the lower attached to a 2” strap. The lower arms will close at the sides with a clasp.

The two boxes on the center of the back and a cardboard-made raised plate on the chest will be painted battleship gray. It will have JASON-078 across the top on it with the UNSC Eagle, Globe, and Scroll below it. The bottom will have Sergeant’s stripes in the Halo format.

ABDOMINAL ARMOR
The central raised part of the abdominal armor will be removed and cut-down. It will include a sintra plate under the bottom. It will be painted gunmetal.

PISTOL BELT
The pistol belt will be a black military-style pistol belt with belt keepers

BUTT ARMOR
The butt armor will be made from custom pepakura. It will include D-rings and a custom adjustor knob. It will attach to the back of the pistol belt.

TROUSERS
The trousers are a pair of British military combat pants. The pockets will be modified and the seat will include a pair of patches like the lower pockets. It will also include a 1” strap sewn around the crotch seam.

THIGH PADS
The thigh pads will be a pair of padded custom pads. They will include a strap around the thioghs with a side-release buckle and slides. It will include a pair of straps with open-face rivets. It will have a separate strap that connects to the pistol belt.

KNEE PADS
The knee pads are made like the elbow pads and include a pair of side-release buckle straps on each pad with slides.

KNEE ARMOR
The knee armor will be made from pepakura. The top will connect to the bottom with a strap rather than hinge. The back will be hinged and connect with a clasp.

BOOTS
The boots are a pair of black jungle boots (standard UNSC issue)

SHIN ARMOR
The shin armor will be made from pepakura. They will include a pair of side-release buckles on either side with a pair of straps for each.

* * *​

Pictures will start showing up tomorrow!

Attachments

• halo-marine2.jpg
    halo-marine2.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 22,817
I have the extra pieces for the shoulder all done. My idea is just to cut them out and use them to draw the templates on the shoulder pieces. The round things on the lower shoulder plates are actually the washers I'll be using for the holes on them.

Otter.png

Posting here to for reference. I plan to make a Halo 3 Marine next now that my ODST is done. You have done a lot of helpful research for anyone who may want to do this build as well. I hope you are still in the process on finishing this build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back