Halo Reach Commando Helmet Build (Picture Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhh, nice attachment buddy. It looks right at home beside that awesome helmet!

Well, I just completed a cast of this absolutely amazing helmet. Take a look

5878085527_7cb35b8633_z.jpg

5878645288_325cdc0577_z.jpg

5878081959_279260c069_z.jpg

5878641688_1d3a4a20be_z.jpg

I also did a little something special involving a Cortana Chip, if you want to check it out, click the link below ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirtsaboc/5878075963/in/photostream

aawww yeah!!! my helmet cast is sitting on my shelf looking like something is missing.... ;) looks good Blackula (as usual) :cool

Thanks guys for the awesome comments. My main issue right now is pouring them hollow. I can't figure out how to do it and I don't want to keeping wasting material. Sorry I'm such a noob at molding & casting. I may just have to pour them solid. Thanks again guys!

Hey Blackula, what you could try is filling one half of the mold to the brim, place the other half on it, then kind of rotocast it with only half the casting resin you would normally use (the resin in the first half of the mold)
That way you cover the surfaces, but theres not enough to make it solid.
Kind of understand what I mean?
It'd be kind of taking a risk though, because you might just miss a spot since you can't see inside the mold. Yet considering how small the piece is, that's not very likely.

Hey Blackula, what you could try is filling one half of the mold to the brim, place the other half on it, then kind of rotocast it with only half the casting resin you would normally use (the resin in the first half of the mold)
That way you cover the surfaces, but theres not enough to make it solid.
Kind of understand what I mean?
It'd be kind of taking a risk though, because you might just miss a spot since you can't see inside the mold. Yet considering how small the piece is, that's not very likely.

I was thinking of doing this, I will try it out in the next day or two. I tried doing each side individually, and it almost worked, but I poured the edges connecting the two , too thin. I think Ill get it down the next time. Thanks for the suggestion Sir Tsaboc.

UPDATE:

I think I may have found the sweet spot, lol. It takes me three tiny pours and I have a hollow piece. I rotto cast in this order, Bottom, sides, top. I know it takes me longer by doing this, but this method seems to give me the best result. leaving a nice void in the middle with little to no thin spots.

Ok, so I tried to do a little worn & weathering on the original model. It was a practice run. I'm not entirely happy with it, but Im still posting the pics. Hopefully I can get some feed back on how to do this better.

IMG_20110713_203834.jpg

IMG_20110713_203842.jpg

IMG_20110713_203849.jpg

IMG_20110713_203856.jpg

IMG_20110713_203823.jpg

IMG_20110713_203908.jpg

IMG_20110713_124344.jpg

Well, let ok, or what I can do to correct it. Thanks for viewing my thread and keep building 405th.

The weathering on the blue looks good, I'm not so sure about the black. This could just be my personal preference, but to me the black parts seem like they'd be made from a nonmetallic material, something plasticy, so the wearing on it wouldn't look the same. It might look more gouged and scratched while still having the same colour underneath. I'm not sure how you'd accomplish something like that without cutting into your helmet, but I'd hesitate to do so to a work of art like yours. And again, this is just a personal preference.

As for the technique on the job it's self it's very well done. Better than I could do.

Dang the helmet looks awesome man, fantastic job and the weathering on it looks just amazing, great work =D

Good work with this whole thread Blackula727! I haven't reached the paint step for my build yet and have never done the whole weathering thing but I think you've done a fine job with it. That said, I think the un-weathered look on this helmet is really great...with the clean edges and crisp colors I think it pops well. Either way it looks cool and congratulations on a great helmet.

I'm looking into doing some mold work with Rebound 25 and Smooth-Cast 320. I haven't been exposed to any of the materials before and after researching quite a bit I am wondering if I might pick your brain on how you approached a few items. Being that you were a noob in this arena and achieved what looks like great results I'm hoping to emulate you. My questions are below, any input you can provide would be appreciated (I read through your process in this thread and apologize if I simply missed something I'm asking about). Thank you and keep up the good work!

1) I'd like to use cut-up fiberglass mat strips for a mother-mold in lieu of Plasti-Paste. When using fiberglass for this purpose did you simply apply it directly to the cured Rebound 25? I've read that the resin won't bond to the rubber but for ease of mind I'm hoping to hear it from another member who's tried it.

2) When casting did you wind up using a releasing agent or petroleum jelly or did you just pour the plastic directly in the rubber? Again, I've read where others do it either way but I'd like to know what your experience was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back