If We Wanted To Improve The 405Th Forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Magnum

...what would YOU(the forum members) like to see addressed?

The staff of the forums are well aware of the sea of threads and forums that seem to be never ending. While moderation can sometimes manage the tidal waves of new comers and even more numerous threads and posts they create, we can get overwhelmed and even loose track or interest of much of what is going on in the forums.

So perhaps your suggestions will bring our attention to more usable ideas within the scope of how the forums currently function. Mass restructuring of the forums is somewhat out of the question so please take that into consideration when making your suggestions.

Some topics to get you started:

• Discontinuing generic names for project topics.
  • Reducing question threads.
  • Methods of centralizing tutorial threads.

Add to these what you believe could be solutions, or outline other issues and their possible solutions.

Discuss, be curtious, and don't argue.

23Magnum said:
Some topics to get you started:

• Discontinuing generic names for project topics.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves here. I love to check out almost every new progress thread I can, but I really dislike having to click a thread that only has the title "I'm making" or "Check it out" or "Help" or similar 1 word vague titles. With no hover thread preview like some forums I usually skip over threads that contain no information in the title.

A suggestion on how to clean up some threads might be to implement a thread title topic system like I've seen around. I like TDH's method, with most titles starting with:

WIP

QUESTION

EVENT

SHOWOFF (for finished pieces)

Not everyone uses them but something similar could become useful here for quick reference when digging through pages of threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
When a new member Joins and logs in for the first time, a automated message could be sent (possible?) with links to the most important of items like wiki, That new recruit video, beginner tuts and a link to forum progress sigs, it would stop the threads from New users about such things.

First, is it even possible?

ForgedReclaimer said:
When a new member Joins and logs in for the first time, a automated message could be sent (possible?) with links to the most important of items like wiki, That new recruit video, beginner tuts and a link to forum progress sigs, it would stop the threads from New users about such things.

That idea has been suggested numerous times. It just wouldn't work. Not because it's not possible, but like the stickies(where most of that information can or should be found) people won't read it.

We're shooting for more organization so things like you mentioned are just plain easier to find/notice.

Ruze, that's a good idea. Are they manually typed in or chosen from a list available when posting a new thread? Currently manual would be easy enough to try to implement, but if automated, that would be left up to Adam.

Condense and separate the tutorials/stickies. I feel they should have their own forum section right up top. People see the showcase and think molding and these other advanced techniques are the way to tackle armor making and it simply isn't true. There are also multiple stickies all about the same thing just posted everywhere else - condense them into one super tutorial OR atleast clear duplicates discussing the same things. Also we have a few forum sections can be completely removed (Ex: 405th E-Zine, E3 2009, etc). Final suggestion, stricter moderation. EX: Our affiliate ForgeHub has 45,000 active forum members - nothing is out of place due to strict rule enforcement.

Cheers,

Kensai

The search feature on the forums is rather crummy and if I'm looking for something I find it's usually better to just to use Google with a "site:405th.com/forums" limitation. Perhaps the current search feature could just be replaced with a Google one.

Pointing out the problems aren't needed. Pointing out possible specific solutions to those problems is the main goal here.

Please no more posts with just "This is wrong". They will be deleted in an effort to keep this thread as neat and concise as possible.

Before my next comment I just want to say I appreciate the forum Mods and realise what a tough job it is too keep on top of everything. Plus i know they have their own side projects and that they cannot be on here all the time.

I believe that the forums would be improved no end if things just went back to how they were back in the day a little.

It couldn't hurt to close registration for a while so as to stop the massive amount new threads and also to give everyone a chance to settle in.

Keeping closer tabs on flaming, bad mouthing and unsavoury members with appropriate warnings and/or bannings as a consequence couldn't go a miss.

Deleting/locking of pointless WIP threads without any pictures or actual WIP.

Maybe make the presence of the MODS known as bit more.

RedTogusa said:
Keeping closer tabs on flaming, bad mouthing and unsavoury members with appropriate warnings and/or bannings as a consequence couldn't go a miss.

Deleting/locking of pointless WIP threads without any pictures or actual WIP.

Maybe make the presence of the MODS known as bit more.

The first two I can agree with but as for the last one in my persepctive I used to be a moderator of a website until it closed, and one of the biggest reaosns it closed was some of the moderators were being too controlling and to put it in a way "power-hungry" after they got their mod abilities, some things on the forums need to be tightened down a bit I can agree there but some people that are mods and some members still have to keep tabs on thier attitudes to set a example to the other members and new members. Thats just my 2 cents.

Now one thing I think we could use on here that would help out a lot of people and keep the threads down is having a chat room and I don't think it has to be directly on the 405th site so that the bandwith does not get burdened, but have a off site chat room like on Chathour and have the link to the chatroom for the 405th members here on the forums in a locked sticky. Something like this is a way that members could get together off site and have questions answered or for general chats where we could get together.

kensai111 said:
Condense and separate the tutorials/stickies. I feel they should have their own forum section right up top. People see the showcase and think molding and these other advanced techniques are the way to tackle armor making and it simply isn't true. There are also multiple stickies all about the same thing just posted everywhere else - condense them into one super tutorial OR atleast clear duplicates discussing the same things. Also we have a few forum sections can be completely removed (Ex: 405th E-Zine, E3 2009, etc). Final suggestion, stricter moderation. EX: Our affiliate ForgeHub has 45,000 active forum members - nothing is out of place due to strict rule enforcement.

Cheers,

Kensai

Im with you there it making the pep section just stickies so new topics get push to the second page and would have the pep section move alot slower to few recent topics

EDIT: Then what about doing what the rpf does with locking old threads at a certain time of inactivity it would help the necro.

Ok, I'll try again... Take a look at the pepakura forum there are 18 stickies on the first page and only 12 threads. The tutorials should be moved to a tutorial specific forum like the videos have. That would defiantly help clean up the forum and allow more active topics on the first page. Again I bring up the issue of finding files buried in forum posts. The Halo 3: ODST thread is how to do it right; almost all of the pep files are in the first page and are easy to find. Sean Bradley's post at the bottom of this thread highlights the problem and the solution to some of the attitude issues.

Edit: I see a quick issue.... the pepakura download hub is live but is not listed in the pepakura forums... btw the download hub is very nice.

Nintendude said:
The first two I can agree with but as for the last one in my persepctive I used to be a moderator of a website until it closed, and one of the biggest reaosns it closed was some of the moderators were being too controlling and to put it in a way "power-hungry" after they got their mod abilities, some things on the forums need to be tightened down a bit I can agree there but some people that are mods and some members still have to keep tabs on thier attitudes to set a example to the other members and new members. Thats just my 2 cents.

Now one thing I think we could use on here that would help out a lot of people and keep the threads down is having a chat room and I don't think it has to be directly on the 405th site so that the bandwith does not get burdened, but have a off site chat room like on Chathour and have the link to the chatroom for the 405th members here on the forums in a locked sticky. Something like this is a way that members could get together off site and have questions answered or for general chats where we could get together.

We have one: http://www.livestream.com/405thsource

We're currently the 4th or 5th most popular DIY stream of all time. Vexona says she can link the chat button to it but doesn't have FTP access so we have it on the front page (which is causing our load times to SUCK) while we wait. That's definitely something I'd like to see implimented that can be done though.

Cheers,

Kensai

I think having more "around-the-clock" users to the moderation staff would help. If you can't keep up (especially in the Noob Forum, no offense), why not add more firepower? If you go too easy on the new guys, it's just begging to become a serious problem among members. A LOT of disrespect is starting to build up among newer and even older members, admittedly myself included. Either there's too little moderation to keep an even watch, or there's too much leniency put on at least handing out warnings and pointing out where people are wrong.

Even if we don't want more Global Moderators, a new little group of people with simple, supporting roles on the staff that can perform basic moderation powers before a high-up swoops in would be beneficial to the areas that are usually top-heavy with spam and rule-breaking in check.

As for the stickies, well...condense them, and a hell of a lot. The Pepakura and Cardboard forum is extremely annoying to visit, as a majority of the first page is nothing but stickies, many of which are redundant. I suggest having a totally separate section simply for stickies and/or Q&A, so the other sections are easier to keep track of, less cluttered, and easier to moderate, as question topics would only require a move or lock instead of a brain marathon as to whether the discussion merits a topic.

Hoping that helps you guys.

Oh, and before I forget, it'd be nice if posts pointing out a necro were against the rules. You'd think that it'd be better left to PMs than bumping up the topic a second time by complaining without contributing to the topic itself.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12163&st=0

LastSpartan said:
Sorry for bringing back this thread, but since most of these suggestion were not implented, I'd like to add more, maybe some may agree with me.

1) As Yoda said, a Safe-for-work theme, as seen on theRPF. No pics. At all. A white page. and no crappy archive mode. (EDIT : Just looked at the RPF work safe theme. It does have photo. Nevermind then, but a mod with no avatars/signature would be cool)

2) Auto-merging feature If 2 posts are made one after the other, they are merge together. Really simple to implement.

3) Veterans cannot post in Noob section. Implement a limit that restrict Veterans for posting in that section. They can still Read and Reply. Again, reaaally simple to implement.

4) Removing too old sections : E3 & E-Zine. E-Zine could be renamed 405th Source, at least, and E3. Well. I think it was a few months ago...

I've seen those on different forums so I know it can be done.

And purging the "old" mods, those who were active 2 years ago. (http://405th.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders)

And like IGGY said, moderators per section could be a good thing.

ForgedReclaimer said:

Yes pretty much exactly what was thinking , they should be automatically directed to Adams noobs video and forum rules , because lately I have seen alot of necro posts, just an idea of course and posibily let the noon start making there own thread at say 20 post?. That might reduce the huge amount of questions that have been answered.

I don't like how the pep stickies take up more than 1/2 of the page, either we can put up one sticky titled "stickies" or we can use Kensai's idea.

Just wanted to let you know what I was thinking when I read, Improve the 405th. I translated this to, how to reduce the amount of redundant questions.

Just keep in mind, most people don't read or don't like to read. They want to be spoonfed. Some people don't think to use search, don't know how to use search properly, or they're not finding what they want quickly.

I'm curious to know if there are any stats on searches. Most searched words/keywords. If you can see what people are searching for, you may be able to get an idea of what needs to be the most visible.

Also, I have seen some sites which offer a sort of "Best Bet" for searches, is there any way to incorporate a best bet feature? Unfortunately I've never seen any forum search offer a "Best Bet" so this may not be possible.

Let's say you get 1000 searches a month for "ODST Visor" and the QA team gets tons of questions on how to make the ODST visor and they always direct the person to a particular thread, most likely the 1000 searches were looking for an ODST Visor tutorial. A best bet would automatically place the ODST Visor Tutorial thread at the top of the search results anytime someone searched for ODST Visor.

Gremlin and Kensai are on the right track, re-org the stickies? To use the ODST Visor Tutorial as an example, it doesn't really fit in to the topics listed under "Creation Discussion". Maybe organize by type?

Mark IV, Mark VI, ODST, Marine, UNSC Weapons, Covenant Weapons, etc...

FAQ link in the Forums - Use search stats to determine what goes in FAQ, if stats not available, QA team might have a good feel. I'm a forum noob so I didn't think to look for "stickies", but I was looking for FAQ or Help Section.

Paid Support? - Not sure how this would work or how to implement...trying to figure out how to force people to read.

Scheduled chat sessions with QA Team if possible - Maybe this is the paid part?

Sorry for the long post, I'm having a hard time going to sleep. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back