Iron Man Armor, 3D Maya Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to give everyone an update on the modeling. I have the mesh done sans the arms. I am working with some talented people to dive into preparing the model for pepakura. I cannot predict how long it will take, but as soon as I have something concrete to show I will post it in this thread.

these are the most awesome iron man models i have ever seen. Keep up this work and the world will have 1 more iron man

This is amazing, the best one Ive seen EVER, I cant wait to see it finished and pep'd, cause im totally going to build it right away!!!

Looks really great clarx, but I do have a problem with it though. I tried modeling the mk iii armor a while back as well using the same reference images and reallized how different all the curves are from the movie. I know it is already too late (sorry I just saw this topic) but I would have only used pictures of the actual suit. It was even brought up earlier how the calfs won't fit on a normal person because the curves of them in the concept art are really exaggerated. Don't take what I am saying wrong please because I think you are a great 3d modeler. It is obvious by how good this has come out that you are way beyond me, I just think if you wanted to get this accurate to the movie you shouldn't have used the concept art.

the beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... i mean of the modeller... lol

really amazing how this armor is progressing...

i'm still watching these.....

peace!

agbates said:
Looks really great clarx, but I do have a problem with it though. I tried modeling the mk iii armor a while back as well using the same reference images and reallized how different all the curves are from the movie. I know it is already too late (sorry I just saw this topic) but I would have only used pictures of the actual suit. It was even brought up earlier how the calfs won't fit on a normal person because the curves of them in the concept art are really exaggerated. Don't take what I am saying wrong please because I think you are a great 3d modeler. It is obvious by how good this has come out that you are way beyond me, I just think if you wanted to get this accurate to the movie you shouldn't have used the concept art.

Thank you for you comments, You do have valid points. I do however think that most are unaware just how much I have modified the mesh after getting the base modeled. The most effective way to hand model a character such as this is to use orthographic images. Those pre-po concept art are the best I have found to use as a base. After I am happy with the base mesh, I use movie photos and still shots to modify and work in detail where needed. I try to stay away from the Hot Toys model as there are significant differences from the movie. Another issue with an accurate build is there are differences between the ILM model and true physical armor. One could say there are actually two movie correct Mark III armors. When one builds a building the first need to build a solid foundation. Thats all the pre-po concept art is being used for, as it's the best I have found.

One other item that needs to be taken into account is... the mesh is not done. It wont be done until it is peped in current form and re-molded where necessary. Check back in a bit and you might like what you see better than current.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarx Industries said:
Thank you for you comments, You do have valid points. I do however think that most are unaware just how much I have modified the mesh after getting the base modeled. The most effective way to hand model a character such as this is to use orthographic images. Those pre-po concept art are the best I have found to use as a base. After I am happy with the base mesh, I use movie photos and still shots to modify and work in detail where needed. I try to stay away from the Hot Toys model as there are significant differences from the movie. Another issue with an accurate build is there are differences between the ILM model and true physical armor. One could say there are actually two movie correct Mark III armors. When one builds a building the first need to build a solid foundation. Thats all the pre-po concept art is being used for, as it's the best I have found.

One other item that needs to be taken into account is... the mesh is not done. It wont be done until it is peped in current form and re-molded where necessary. Check back in a bit and you might like what you see better than current.

Oh don't worry I thought it looked really great as it was I was just worried about accuracy. Now that I know you are not going just off the concept art I am at ease. I don't think its a bad idea at all to get some of the basic curves and stuff from concept art I just believe it needs to be modified afterwords. Great job so far! I'll definitely be watching this topic.

Hello all, some may have seen my new sig, so I wanted to let everyone know, that I am now working to support the Starx Industries team. That does not mean that development on my mesh has stopped. Quite the opposite in fact. I have handed my mesh over to the extremely capable hands of Starx to unfold. Likewise I will be doing some model work on their mesh. We believe that a collaboration of like minds will produce something well worth waiting for. I am more than pleased to be a part of the group and look forward to adding my own unique talents to the project.

Thanks for following this thread. I will continue to post here in regards to the specific mesh I designed. Any Starx Industries work not specific to this mesh will be in the thread started by Starx.

ratchet_fan said:
has anyone attempted to make a War Machine suit yet? i think that gatlin gun would be pretty shaweet!

There is a couple War Machine builds. I know that..I think its MasterLe247 has a war machine build he did. It has a revolving gattling gun. I also know that Black Tony Starx has a War Machine Heavy Artillery build going on. Im going to be attempting a war machine build here in the near future as well. So to be pointblank...yes there is suits out there! And more on the way!! :p

-Loki

Hey, just because you're an industry now doesn't mean you can get tight with the updates. ;)

Also where does a release stand with you guys now, I mean, it's going to get abit complicated charging for it with more than a few heads involved isn't?

Lovin all the work here though!. :)

Sorry for the delay, been a bit busy with school.

The release of my files are only affected by the alliance in the way of mutual discloser, and the process of unfolding.

Starx files remain his to dictate how they are handled and so do mine. Their is no doubt that we will each gain from the alliance but we do respect the others wishes in how we handle our share of information.

In regards to how the release of my files will be handled is not decided. Until the unfolding is done... which currently there is no time table. There is really no need to have one.

For all thoes following this project, unfolding is still underway. Some pieces are done (as far as .pdo files go) I will post pic projects once the model has been fully unfolded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back