It's All In The Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have the option to track a topic. It's on the upper right of the title bar for the thread. You can also bookmark any threads that interest you. I currently have about 30 bookmarked for later reference.

I wouldn't mind seeing these signatures disappear. They needlessly waste bandwidth and make EVERY page load slower.

Profile pictures are plenty. We don't need 800x400 sigs as well. :rolleyes

well i have a random suggestion. the site is great but from what i read on this is that there is bandwidth issues and possible space issues? i know of a company who has unlimited bandwidth and a terabyte of space with all the special fixings aswell!

i love to come to this site every day and if theres bandwidth issues its either someones computer connection or the website server isnt alowed to support it to a degree...

now as for the signatures, well some should be moderated, one image per signature unless it is a image realateing to a 405th project 2 images max. i dont remember if theres a turn signatures off option in invision board.. but look in your control panel with your pms and you might find a dissable switch so things can load faster if you so wish.

regards,
Fluffy

Or you could subscribe to the thread - IPB has that function somewhere, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: yes, it does. Right up at the top of the page, where the topic title is above the first post, in a drop-down 'options' box.

SpartanIII-0324 said:
i come on everyday and i have to search and look through a list of things based on what i searched to find who ever's project i want to see, it would be nice to have something like they do on ebay, watch this item, altho instead, watch this thread and add it to a list of them. under the list have the title of the thread and last 5 posts in reverse order, would make keeping up to date on people's work so much easier
Click 'Options', at the top of the tread, to the right of the title. A list will appear. Click 'Track this topic'. You can view this list of topics by clicking 'My controls' at the top of the page and 'View Topics' under subscriptions, on the pane on the left.

Is that what you ment?

Last edited by a moderator:
when people make armor, its OK to say "Thats great man, love it!" but do not say "THaT Is bE f***InG AsOME YoU ARe a gOD!" because to them, its OK, not god like.

AI Blue Fox said:
when people make armor, its OK to say "Thats great man, love it!" but do not say "THaT Is bE f***InG AsOME YoU ARe a gOD!" because to them, its OK, not god like.

Yes, because you haven't ever posted something useless before.

[/sarcasm]

I think atleast somewhat decent grammar should be required to post. It isn't freaking hard to press the period or question mark key, nor is it difficult to hold the shift key for less than a second. Last time I checked, letters, words, and sentences were for reading a writing, and not for translating from kindergarden speak to English.

If I see one more person type like a blind, drunk pianist, I'll go insane.

I've been "lurking" silently and watching and researching etc. and i came across a couple of things that would help improve the sight as well.

First and foremost what annoys the living hell out of me is when people quote, they are doing so IRRESPONSIBLY! Sorry for caps but its been getting out of hand lately. There is no reason for people to keep abusing the quote button including all the pictures posted. What i keep seeing is this:

Poster #1: Heres my stuff what do you think? followed by 4-10 pictures
Poster #2: Quotes"Heres my stuff what do you think? followed by 4-10 pictures" and says: Great work!
Poster #3: Really cool, cant wait to see how it turns out
Poster #1: Quotes "Quotes"Heres my stuff what do you think? followed by 4-10 pictures" and says: Great work!": Thanks man!
Poster so on and so forth until they have made us look at every picture 4 times. really annoys me sometimes when i really am trying to follow progress and have to sift through retarded quotes that serve no purpose to the thread.

Thats just my little rant, and it happens all over the forums i visit: 501st, Clone-Empire, Empire City Garrison, Clonetroopers.net and 405th. Yeah it kills me sometimes so please excuse me if i seem a little perturbed ;)

Anyways the other improvement would be to include a Section for Screengrabs from the game. Detailed screen grabs for which only a few people have access to actually post. It would allow people to readily see exactly what they are working on and how it would compare. And for any sculptors out there, we all know screen reference is the way to go. I currently do this for two sites right now and am more then willing to provide an example of what i've cooked up so far just relating to Halo Helmets. Maybe this may cause things to cram if these are shown, maybe not. But i think it would beneficial to 405th standards:

here's my album on Photobucket: Halo Helmets

Yeah, the quoting of pictures is annoying. Not much you can really do about it, though. For screengrabs, check out the armor reference section of the gallery. There's some good stuff in there.

ehhh.... no offense but the gallery lacks quite a bit. I would be more then willing to take additional screenshots to provide more detailed reference. I provided a link in my previous post to view my current helmet pics from halo. I'm very much used to organizing and creating detailed references (my job makes me do it). I really feel we can do better then that. So let me know or someone can PM me here and i would be more then happy to help out and contribute to the community.

I actually know of two people on the forum who can vouch for my detailed pics. Ill see if i can gt them to chime in.

Something I just came up with.

An attention-getter tool or thread, something that members can use to grab attention of other members who have full inboxes, like getting ahold of Adam.

Maybe a function, like a 'Request Attention' button, that would send the member a Forum-based message that is independent of the inbox and doesn't have keep a limited number.

vadersfist said:
ehhh.... no offense but the gallery lacks quite a bit. I would be more then willing to take additional screenshots to provide more detailed reference. I provided a link in my previous post to view my current helmet pics from halo. I'm very much used to organizing and creating detailed references (my job makes me do it). I really feel we can do better then that. So let me know or someone can PM me here and i would be more then happy to help out and contribute to the community.

I actually know of two people on the forum who can vouch for my detailed pics. Ill see if i can gt them to chime in.
If you're willing to take the screenshots go ahead and post them in the gallery. Everything you see there has been put up by members here, same with the wiki.

You mean like a 'Pager' function?

Well... that'd be a little pointless, to be quite honest, as the only way I can see a pager even working at all is via email or board notifications - to the message inbox.

Either of which would get full in a day, then you'd be pretty much foxtrotted. Hence, it'd be better just to contact Adam via his AIM client - granted, he never answers the bloody thing, but it's a little more readily available than OMFG ADAM I CANNOT HAS PEE EM.

Either that, or you create an 'ADAM GET IN TOUCH WITH ME' thread. Something that doesn't involve an inbox limit, in any case - because it's liable to get very full, very quickly.

Also, the Wiki's absolutely jam-packed with references if you'd care to go look there. It's neglected, and pretty much openly hated by some, but it's there nonetheless.

Crucible has some good points there. The wiki will be updated with more pep files within a week. There will be some more reference packs coming soon as well. As I've said before, there is more to the wiki than just the pep files. You just have to look. It has a TON of information on it and more will be added.

it is something that has wondered my mind for some time now. As you all know we can support Adam and the site by donations, but what if we where to get a a sponsor? The benefits of a sponsor would help with the updates on the sites, keeping the site running that sort of stuff.

I'm talking about a sponsoring form Smooth-on. Almost every molded part on this website is made from smooth-cast, and not the mention all the rubbers that we use from Smooth-on. I don't know how big our share is in there sales, but we certainly promote Smooth-on products.

falcon NL said:
it is something that has wondered my mind for some time now. As you all know we can support Adam and the site by donations, but what if we where to get a a sponsor? The benefits of a sponsor would help with the updates on the sites, keeping the site running that sort of stuff.

I'm talking about a sponsoring form Smooth-on. Almost every molded part on this website is made from smooth-cast, and not the mention all the rubbers that we use from Smooth-on. I don't know how big our share is in there sales, but we certainly promote Smooth-on products.

I think we've talked about this before, but I can't really remember. What I do remember is that we aren't able to be sponsored because we lack an official status. Theoretically, we COULD get sponsored, but not at this time.

'Course, this is something that we should discuss with the Staff before we really know the answer to that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back