Jimmy Da Moose presents- Captain America's Shield!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Da Moose

Okay boys and girls, prepare for a wall of text. I'm sure many of you know that I'm building an ODST by now. Well, I'm almost done with it, so I figured I start a special side project.

It's special because if it turns out well, I'm giving it to my girlfriend for out second anniversary in a few weeks. I'm going to put a lot of work into finishing it quickly.

First- I noticed there are only a few models for the captain's shield, and I'm not a huge fan of them, so I decided to make my own! Now, I'm not a 3d modeler by any means, but it's such a simple model I figured I'd have a go. And it turned out well in my opinion.
Captainshieldpep.jpg

Second- I'm fairly good at unfolding, but the problem is, I don't have a password for Designer, so I can't save my unfolds, which is unfortunate if I need to do it again...
IMG_0772.jpg

Third, and most important- I pepped it already, but I need your opinions! It looks much too big.
IMG_0774.jpg

(Yes, my hair is blue)

Marvel quotes it at being 30 inches wide, but it's huge. The movie version doesn't look quite this size, so I don't know if I should re-pep it. I started unfolding it again right now, and I gave it a 24 inch diameter.

What does the 405th think? Do I do it again, or do I keep this massive beast?

Also, I'll feel I have to give back to the forums, who have always been so kind and helpful, so I'll upload the model later.

Chris Evans in the movie is only 6ft 1/2inch tall. They were trying to make him look like he's huge. So a 30 inch shield (2 1/2 foot) would have been almost half his size.

So the question is do you want it "Marvel" quality or Movie quality?

I personaly would go with the smaller of the 2 if I carried it but would take the 30 inch and hang it on the wall.

I think I have to agree, plus, my girlfriend is only like 5ft 4in, and she would probably like a prop that doesn't dwarf her. I should have the new shield complete by Sunday.

I wanted to have the new pep finished by Sunday, but I've been busy with school, so I'm two days late. Oh well, I still have some time to finish it.

captain_america__s_shield__base_by_jimmydamoose-d4nixga.jpg

This one is smaller and looks much more proportional. The pep went together a lot easier, and the are almost no wrinkles in it. I'm gonna resin and fiberglass it by tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll have a good update by Friday.

Yay! Updates!

I have been doing a lot of work to this shield, and I've posted no progress, so here is a week old one and the most recent one:
2012-02-02_20-29-25_928.jpg

2012-02-12_18-51-16_765.jpg

I really just have to get the corners cleaned out, and the outside edges smooth, then I can at least prime it and see whats left. I still have to figure out the handle, too, but I have some ideas.

that is looking neat!. also if you don't mind cutting into your work you could try drilling holes and putting screw bolts in and then bondo over them. or mighty putty screw bolts on the inside.

I think I may mighty putty some bolts on the inside, I think they might be a pain to cover from the front.

Thanks man. I didn't mean to go dark, but schools really been keeping my busy, and my time is split between this shield and my armor. On the plus side, I may be working in a prop shop!

I don't mean to necro, but the shield is looking excellent! Have you got anymore progress on it lately? It's gorgeous! :)

No problem, sorry I didn't see the response, I've been a bit busy the last few days. Anyway, I have done more work since the last pictures, but it would be difficult to see any changes, and I haven't done anything in the past two weeks. But my armor is done, so I'll be spending a lot more time on the shield. I want to have it ready by the Avengers premiere.

loving the shield jimmy, i have just finished watching Captain America again and it looks perfectly proportional to you, well I think so anyways :) keep it up man cant wait to see more progress! (Btw loving the beatles poster haha XD)

Thanks man! I'm gonna try and do some work on it this weekend, so I'll try and have some updates by Sunday night.

Alright everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates on this guys. I did most of this the last few days, and I haven't had a lot of free time to post pictures.

I did take a lot of progress pictures, but I'm only going to post the finished product. So enjoy:
captain_america_shield__finished_by_jimmydamoose-d530wtq.jpg

captain_america_shield_back__finished_by_jimmydamoose-d530x6r.jpg

I chose to do a single strap and handle instead of the duel straps like the movie uses because it gives much more control. If anyone is interested in how I did the strapping, I could post a tutorial.

I'm giving it to my girlfriend tomorrow, so I'll get some action pictures of her with it tomorrow.

As always, I hope everyone likes it!

Great job Jimmy! It sure is a beaut! Was looking forward to seeing the end product and it sure surpassed my expectations. I heard from a lot of people that doing that shield would be quite difficult, trying to keep the circular shape, but you pulled it off! I also think the colouring is great as well. Overall, a 10/10! :D

Thanks! That means a lot!

I've been meaning to post the .obj file I made, too. I would post the pep file, but I never bought the program, so I can't save the unfold. But its super easy to unfold, so its no big deal. I'll post it tomorrow for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back