1st Build Long time lurker, first(ish) time poster - my M6C build

leafjerky

Hello all!

I have been a member here since I was in middle school. I am 31 now lol. Anyways back in the day we only had pep as a main option and it (at the time) was just too much for me and out of my skillset. I remember trying to print some and got so frustrated I threw it all away.

I am an engineer now well into my career and have been printing on and off for 10 years or so. I recently acquired an X1 and the difference between that and my original reprap is night and day. I also tried resin printing but it's not really for me. Far too toxic to be in my household without a borderline lab setting and I have a newborn now so that's a no go. I have instead built a nice enclosure for my printer that vents outside and I make all kinds of things.

Recently I have had some downtime and decided I want to finally make a Halo prop. The magnum has always been my favorite so that's what I went with.

I sanded, painted, and heavily weathered this piece using techniques from many sources. I can't recall them all but the ones I use the most were:

Galactic Armory: Galactic Armory
Punished Props: https://www.youtube.com/@punishedprops
Darkwing Dad: https://www.youtube.com/@Darkwingdad

The original source for 3D model was made by jon0vdb using the following file:

I have made some adjustments that I will update/remix his with later. The main changes were using M3 screws instead of wood screws on the outside with holes for threaded inserts in the trigger guard as well as widening the holes that go from the frame to the handle to allow slightly larger wood screw heads.

I have also added "grips" in the style of the SMG I modeled up in blender really quickly.

Overall I am happy how this build turned out (so far). While I intentionally really weathered this thing if I could do it again I would dial it down a good bit as its just a lot.

Process:

Print, rough sand 80, rough sand 120, paint aluminum (krylon), sand 320, apply liquid latex, paint colors, sand 400, apply oil wash

Hope you all have been well the past 16 years and I hope to contribute more in the future!

Love,
David
2.jpg
1.jpg

that is a great job on that i love the weathering
Appreciate it! I am actually going to tone it down just a bit by doing a more polymer style grip with some dirt/grime, keeping the bubble grips more or less the same and see if that gets rid of this borderline tiger stripe weather i've got going on with it - will post updates when done!

The printed text is super crisp! The one I got from GA is kinda muddy and ghosted, I don't know if thats just my printer settings, though, but yours looks so good.

Awesome i cant wait to see it
The printed text is super crisp! The one I got from GA is kinda muddy and ghosted, I don't know if thats just my printer settings, though, but yours looks so good.

Thanks guys! Here is the updated one. I went with a matte and more polymer looking type grip as I thought it was over-weathered previously so that helped bring it down some. The trigger also had to be re-printed as it broke so I did it in PLA-CF and it printed super crisp and is such a small detail I left it as is.

adsfad.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back