MK VII First coat of fila

JDTV

After a stupid amount of ours sanding I finally was able to do my first coat of sanding, I'm proud how it came out mostly but I'm a bit nervous on sanding a lot, I've got quite the amount of imperfections where printing cracked and too much fila in the seams, my main problem is my fingers can't fit in those spaces, I think I'm gonna have about 4 coats of fila primar on unless there is another way of doing it

Attachments

• 561268ba-588e-4e5b-a412-52c7d62aed9c.jpg
    561268ba-588e-4e5b-a412-52c7d62aed9c.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
Spot putty or wood filler! A thin coat of either will fill those in and even out the surface. I usually do Bondo spot putty (available if you’re in the states, I know different countries have different brands), sand, filler primer, sand, and then if needed more Bondo, more sanding, more priming, more sanding, so on and so forth. For small areas like grooves I usually use and xacto blade or screw driver to clean those out, and sometimes sand paper on a popsicle stick for hard to reach places.

but I'm a bit nervous on sanding a lot,
Personally - I think you can be a lot less nervous and feel safe in doing more sanding. Just keep your sander moving in broad strokes rather than concentrate on one area for too long which leads to heating. This is a lot of texture to cover with just filler primer: You're going to spend a fortune in paint before this is smooth if you're just relying on paint.
2024-07-31_09-24-43.PNG

An extra 20 minutes or even 2 hours sanding will save you so much in later steps.
JustSandIt.png

The other advice that I drop probably 10 times a month is to save the helmet for last if you're new to this. The helmet is the glory piece that everyone stares at and is the first thing they look at in every photo. So develop your technique on test parts. Learn to sand and paint on a few 50mm XYZ test cubes. They fast to print, cheap to make, and flat. Great for learning and even paint testing. Then props like grenades to get used to curves. Then boots working your way up. Nobody stares at your boots or even shins. As you work upward you are developing your skills so that by the time you've gotten to the chest and helmet that everyone is judging you on you'll have the technique to make them look stellar.

Spot putty or wood filler! A thin coat of either will fill those in and even out the surface. I usually do Bondo spot putty (available if you’re in the states, I know different countries have different brands), sand, filler primer, sand, and then if needed more Bondo, more sanding, more priming, more sanding, so on and so forth. For small areas like grooves I usually use and xacto blade or screw driver to clean those out, and sometimes sand paper on a popsicle stick for hard to reach places.
Spot putty

ill take ur advise if it dose get to the fourth layer

If you need to fill it and want to get it as smooth as possible you can mix a small amount of denatured alcohol and spot putty then brush it in light coats till it fill in then you can take another brush with just the denatured alcohol by it's self and smooth it out it works well in small tight areas

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back