Oooh Playdoh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyfist

Jr Member
First off, I'm very new to the forums and have been spending most of my time reading, and not posting. So, as this is my first post, please PM me if I did something wrong on this, thanks. :)

As I have been exploring the 405th, I saw many people make helmets by creating a clay model, molding the clay model, and then casting it, making a perfect model with tons of detail. As a n00b, I don't think I can do anything as good as that, and the materials would be too coslty for me. But... (ooh yes there's always a but) I had an amazing idea. My little brother has almost 18 pounds of Play- doh and he never uses it. I also found some brush on rubber mold builder on sale for about $10. I put two and two together, and thought about trying something like what I mentioned before. Also, me being a n00b again I thought of putting a brush on mold builder on the Halo 3 legendary edition helmet and making a good,(wearable) high def quality helmet, instead of making a realy bad helmet using my own artisticaly deficient skills. :lol So in all my rambling the basic things I'm asking are:

1.Could Play-Doh be used as a substitute for modeling clay?

2 And would it be possible to make a mold of the Halo 3 legendary edition helmet?

my mom works at a preschool so im around the stuff quite a bit and i would say that playdough is not going to give you the amount of detail you want. that stuff is hard to smooth and build up without it drying out on you so you might want to find something else. and as for molding the halo 3 helmet not so sure if its a good idea because of copyright and stuff like that i dont know but you might want to check up on that before hand.

I'm sure you could make yourself a cast of it. As long as you don't sell or otherwise distribute it, I don't think there would be a problem. And you're in luck having that helmet, because you can easily vacuform a visor around it.

Play dough cracks up like hell while drying so it wouldnt be a very good idea. You could use sculpting clay but everyone needs to have some skills. Even though I have all the stuff that I need from art class to sculpt it, I still use the pepakura way of doing my iron man suit because even though it is more time consuming, it comes out really good and you dont have to have any skills. The detailing part in the suit is when you get to the bondo stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back