Post Your 3D Modeling Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boba Fett

Since the noob forum has a "1 thread answers all questions" thingy, why not do that here? Post your question in 1 common thread, so we don't clutter up the section with topics asking but a single question. I thought it a good idea. So, hey. And, yeah, I have a reason to start this anyway. :p

In blender, I'm importing a pep file (brute Mauler) but the thing is separated into like 10 pieces. Wreaks havoc with scaling it. but when I try to move a single piece, the whole thing moves. How can I make each part a seperate object that I can move around?

Boba Fett said:
Since the noob forum has a "1 thread answers all questions" thingy, why not do that here? Post your question in 1 common thread, so we don't clutter up the section with topics asking but a single question. I thought it a good idea. So, hey. And, yeah, I have a reason to start this anyway. :p

In blender, I'm importing a pep file (brute Mauler) but the thing is separated into like 10 pieces. Wreaks havoc with scaling it. but when I try to move a single piece, the whole thing moves. How can I make each part a seperate object that I can move around?

open the model in edit mode, select the part you want. Go in object mode hit shift D wile the object was sellected. Then go in edit mode on one of the 2 objects availabel. hit delete faces on the one and on the other you do ctrl shift i in edit mode before you delete all those other faces. Conclusion: you have separated a piece of a bigger chunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ssgt.Stoner said:
Does Anyone on this site make and sell there aromr

Try to stay on topic

BTW yes people do, but you need to be a veteran to buy

How to weld open edges in Blender? Also how is the best way to determine the open edge if that makes sense?

JEStudio said:
How to weld open edges in Blender? Also how is the best way to determine the open edge if that makes sense?

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25019

JEStudio said:
Also how is the best way to determine the open edge if that makes sense?

Compare the 3D view in Pepakura Designer to the 3D model in Blender. Unless the model is exceptionally craptastic, any open edges will be very obvious in Blender when you know what to look for with the Pepakura view as a guide.

project_phoenix said:
how do you get reference pictures in blender to work with?

Go to the bottom bar, hit "view" select "background image" hit "load" then find the image in the window that pops up.

ok hey i was wonder if there is any one who is will to model alot of the world of warcraft armor like the gladiator set and some shield and stuff cause around michigan there is alot of ppl that play wow and was wondering if any one can model me any so that would be really nice if that can be made for me or any one on the 405th... if so email me kc12305@live.com or pm me any thing u want to say to this :)

ok hey i was wonder if there is any one who is will to model alot of the world of warcraft armor like the gladiator set and some shield and stuff cause around michigan there is alot of ppl that play wow and was wondering if any one can model me any so that would be really nice if that can be made for me or any one on the 405th... if so email me pm me any thing u want to say to this

This is not a request thread. This is a thread in which modelers come and ask questions whenever they need help with with modeling. So please you use the search bar before you post.

Now, back on topic.

First off, I would like to say thanks for making this thread. It saved me the hassle of making one.

Now on to my question. How do you add the reference pics on onto 3ds Max? I've looked everywhere, but I couldn't find it.

Please let me know.

-Pony

@ACDC

I'm having the same problem with 3ds Max 2011 - So far I have been messing around and i'm about as close as you can get. I've made a plane on the 3d view, set the coordinates at (0,0,0) , and gone to the Material Editor on the top bar. After that all i've gotten is the picture to show up in the bitmap in "View 1", but not actually on the plane. I made a standard material, then added a diffuse color of the bitmap (which i thought would make it right there, guess not) If i end up getting anything, I'll make sure to post it here.

Edit: I got it! First, make sure the dimensions of your plane are the size of the picture you want, and then open the material editor. Make a standard material, and set the Self Illumination to 100. Then drag a line from the Diffuse tab of the material, and insert your bitmap. Select the bitmap title, and up at the top of the window there's a box called "Show Standard Map in Viewport". I clicked that and the picture came up :D yay
I could get some pictures if we need a tutorial set up.

Whenever I try to make a 3D Model I always do it a face at a time and each time I try to do a 3d model I have to rotate it to get the faces right is there a way to work around these. Someone suggested extruding faces but I have a problem with doing that because I can't get two extrusions to join together I'll be happy in March I'm going to the Art Institute in TX to learn this junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back