Ranking discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the off topic topic of ranking I believe we should use the actual UNSC ranks rather than the Halo multiplayer ranks.

According to Halopedia the UNSC Marine ranking system consists of:

Enlisted
<ul>[*]Private[*]Private First Class[*]Lance Corporal[*]Corporal[*]Sergeant[*]Staff Sergeant[*]Gunnery Sergeant[*]First Sergeant/Master Sergeant[*]Sergeant Major/Master Gunnery Sergeant[*]Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps[/list] Officers<ul>[*] Second Lieutenant[*] First Lieutenant[*] Captain[*] Major[*] Lieutenant Colonel[*] Colonel[*] Brigadier General[*] Major General[*] Lieutenant General[*] General[/list] Straight off I think that we can strike off Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps as:
  1. This is a unique position a so would not fit in Primal's proposed system
  2. No proof exists of the existence of this rank within the Halo universe
  3. As a division the 405th is unlikely to contain this officer even if it does exist in the universe
In addition I would advise only using the the First Sergeant and Sergeant Major promotional track thus getting rid of the Master Sergeant and Master Gunnery Sergeant ranks because:
  1. It is a lot simpler to only have one promotional track rather than a track which splits part way through the enlisted ranks
  2. The Sergeant Major track has general command status whilst the Master provides technical leadership
  3. Sergeant Major Avery Johnson is better known than the only known Master Gunnery Sergeant who was in charge of the armoury in Cairo Station
Which means that the number of enlisted ranks is reduced to 9 so following Primal's scheme (substituting the First Sergeant for the Master Sergeant) is will take 2 years and 3 months to complete the enlisted rankings.

Looking at the officers rankings there are obviously a lot less than in the Halo 3 multiplayer ranks. Therefore I think the time taken to progress should stay at the 6 months it takes to progress through the final enlisted ranks. In addition I believe that the ranks above Captain should be reserved for Division and Regiment command staff (Major -> Colonel for Regiment and Brigadier General -> General for Division). Therefore it would take 1 and a half years to progress to the maximum officer ranks without being chosen or appointed to the command staff (you would keep the rank even if you leave the command staff).

To support this mechanic it would be necessary to add another method of progression to Primal's list - being appointed to the Command Staff. This should instantaneously promote you to the rank associated with the position.

The changes proposed in this post do reduce the amount of time that would be needed to get to the maximum. However, to those still worried about the years being thrown around in these proposals I think that instead of just progressing due to the time rules most people would progress due to event attendance (broadening the convention attendance progression here) and other acts which would warrant promotions. Progression due to time would simply be a backup.

I think that's everything.. oh yes just one on topic bit to add - I think a beret should be added to the recruit/support costume for NCO's and above (with a UNSC pin of course).

Wow, you really know your stuff lol. I agree that something along the lines of what you and Primal propsed should be in order. However, the conventions thing for attendence should NOT be part of any promotions. Considering that, I, as a Loyal (but 'new') member of the 405th, cannot make it to conventions because of my limited budget. It would just seem unfair to me and others like me who live paycheck by paycheck and can't afford to travel. This, of course, is subject to change if I ever win the FL Lottery. And again, this is STILL off topic and should get back ON topic.... I suggest either you or Primal start a new thread regarding Ranking since its both of you who seem to be on the ball with this subject, lol.

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Wow, you really know your stuff lol. I agree that something along the lines of what you and Primal propsed should be in order. However, the conventions thing for attendence should NOT be part of any promotions. Considering that, I, as a Loyal (but 'new') member of the 405th, cannot make it to conventions because of my limited budget. It would just seem unfair to me and others like me who live paycheck by paycheck and can't afford to travel. This, of course, is subject to change if I ever win the FL Lottery. And again, this is STILL off topic and should get back ON topic.... I suggest either you or Primal start a new thread regarding Ranking since its both of you who seem to be on the ball with this subject, lol.
That's why I made an attempt to clarify conventions as events. So that even if you are unable to get to conventions you can rank up by simply taking part in events such as fundraising activities that are held under the 405th umbrella (like the charitable events the 501st take part in).

Oh and Excalibur ~Regiment~ FTW Primal ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's OK, BMI. I took into consideration non-attendees at conventions. I myself won't be able to attend any for a while due to an EXTREMELY limited paycheck.

That's why I made an attempt to clarify conventions as events. So that even if you are unable to get to conventions you can rank up by simply taking part in events such as fundraising activities that are held under the 405th umbrella (like the charitable events the 501st take part in).

Hahaha, I KNEW i read your other post wrong hahahaha. Sorry. Id totally be able to do fundraising things and such, awesome! lol

And, Primal, it sucks not having spare money huh? lol :cautious:

So hows about it guys (Primal and SinjinSmiley)? lets move this Ranked discussion to a new thread in the 405th Discussion board and let the recruit thread get back on track. lol :p

Well I've reported the thread to see if we can get the off topic ranking posts split into a seperate topic.

If that doesn't happen I'm sure Primal and I can condense the two posts into one and start a new thread for discussion.

EDIT: Voila thread split.

Sinjinsmiley said:
Well I've reported the thread to see if we can get the off topic ranking posts split into a seperate topic.

If that doesn't happen I'm sure Primal and I can condense the two posts into one and start a new thread for discussion.

EDIT: Voila thread split.

Topics Merged... Thread locked... been discussed before... go build armor folks...

To me this is like a girl telling Boy Scouts how they should run their organization... if you are here to be apart of a costuming club, why are you not trying to make a costume... this is directed at the thread in general, not a specific person, so no one needs to feel offended.

NZ-TK said:
It seems the whole point of "ranks" is so that some members can try to make themselves feel important. Fair enough but, I'd like to point out the only way you're going to get the type of online "respect" you seem to be craving is to stop posting and do some bloody work. If online kudos is what drives you, then you are in the wrong hobby. The likes of Belakor, MLC, Thorsoli, Vos, Spase, Sigma, Docbytes and numerous others (too many to list) have the right idea, they beaver away in their workshops making awesome props and costumes, then they are kind enough to put some posts up saying "hey guys, this is what I'm working on" sometimes they are kind enough to talk a bit about how they do it, do they demand some type of e-cookie? No, they dont need to and its not why they do it. Their work speaks for itself. Thats right kids, the respect you're after comes from the work you do, not from grandiose plans and vapour-ware. THAT is what this whole site is about. Its not a popularity contest. Begging for recognition through "rank" really just shows laziness. Its like you're jumping up and down saying "look at me, my post count is huge, and I folded a paper helmet! I demand a fancy avatar and boots of +10 purpleness! without doing any work.

Now, I'm locking this thread because what little usefulness it had, has long been outlived. The concept has been thoroughly examined from various view points, and found to be flawed. If another mod disagrees with my decision to lock it, by all means unlock it, and we can beat this poor old horse to a pancake.
Look at that, oligarchy in action :)
Your humble janitor
NZ-TK

old_janitor_sweeping_hg_clr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back