Sanding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanSRS

Hey guys I've been sanding my helmet for awhile after I used bondo, but I applied the bondo pretty sloppily the first day. But Sanding has definetely helped a lot. However in areas that I've applied too much bondo are increasingly difficult to sand. I'll post pictures upon my return to my house but advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Nothing for it but to keep on sanding or use a chisel. Next time apply the bondo more sparingly and in thin layers.

Use a low Grit sand paper like P60, or use a rasp. Use finer grit sandpaper to smooth the bondo and remove sanding stripes.

Note before you guys view these pictures. I know I probably distributed the bondo in odd ways.. And may have used it incorrectly. I believe I was working with it hot since it dried so fast.. I ran out of bondo in the end but I wanted to sand it before I began bondoing again to touch up some areas...

Here is the before and after sanding pictures

The following pictures are fresh after I bondoed it (Couple weeks ago). I couldn't find much on how to use bondo since most of the videos lost audio due to copy right.

P1140966.jpg

Frontal View

P1140967.jpg

Side...

P1140968.jpg

Back

P1140969.jpg

Side

The following images are after 3 hours or so of sanding. (Blocks, sponges, and paper.)

P1160037.jpg

P1160040.jpg

P1160041.jpg

P1160042.jpg

P1160043.jpg

P1160045.jpg

its getting better, just keep on sanding man... thats all you can do. but hey look at it this way, you now have a thick layer of bondo you can cut detail into... its your first time, you will get better as you go.

mouse sander is the only way you're fixing that. If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell a really good cheap one for $12.

I'd have to say you used too much bondo for your initial application, but that's not such a bad thing since you can sand away the excess. Do you have an orbital sander? If you don't and you plan on making more armor or doing any other household projects, I strongly recommend you buy one. Get one that uses 1/4 sheets of sandpaper, since you don't need any bigger than that. One of those with 60 grit sandpaper should do the job.

I was thinking of getting a dremyl tool for the parts that end up to be too thick for me to sand. Or in the end use those craters as battle damage to the helmet with chrome/metal/silver highlights.. Thank you for the input guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back