Spartans For Nebraskon 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
drgon47 said:
I am finishing up the final strapping and undersuit for my Mk VI. I got 34 days till 3 days till Nebraskon. Plenty of time. I'll be driving from tx, so I have to give myself a bit of drive time. Hope to see you all there!

Sweet! Sounds like we'll have a bunch of 405th there.

Sir Blood said:
Its been mentioned between me and a couple of 501st members to possibly have either

- capture the flag contest between the 405th and the 501st

- skit with BOTH the 405th and 501st (may or may not be while the judges are out after cosplay, there's usually a very popular 1/2 time show)

- maybe both...

For capure the flag it may be needed to remove some leg armor to equalize movement between spartans and storm troopers... but Spartan visors have 1000% more visability (yes 1 thousand) than storm troopers... they have extreem tunnel vision... biker scouts however have a decent ammount of vision out of their visors.

If there's a skit, we'll wait until the convention to plan it so we can see exactly what we have to work with. Sounds like there will be between 14 and 17 members of the 501st central garrison there along with some of the R2D2 builders... but the R2D2 builders may be included in that number...

That sounds awesome! Oddball, anyone?

Thanks for providing the Activities contact, just sent them an email for an armoring panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as I mentioned before several of our board members are also in the 501st and Rebel Legions. I'm the squad leader of the Imperial 80th Squad in Omaha and I've gone ahead and posted some information on our forums (www.CentralGarrison.org). A game of capture the flag sounds awesome. I'll keep you guys and gals posted as to the 501st numbers. :D

im still slaving away but should be ready. my buddy is wearing my old armor. im building a a bomb and ill have my odd ball skull. flags could be bomb(grifball) and oddball

I have a pair of 3x5 flags. One is generic blue the other is red.

I have been on the lookout for a pair of 2x3 flags... one red and one blue.

We could play a game like this:

- everyone has a flagbelt on, it has 2 flags on it attached with velcro

- 1 point for the team for each flag they get from someone, if they get both of your flags, it still only counts as 1 point

- 10 points for capturing the flag and everyone is allowed to rejoin the game...

- if everyone on the team is eliminated, the other team gets 2 additional points and the game resets. unless the they have ownership of the opponents flag

- 1st team to say 30 points wins

I have a number of orange cones we can use as generic game field markers, they are the flat cones they typically use for soccer.

Hopefully we'll be able to set up blinders/dividers in the room so you do not have full vision of the game area

RULE #1 - NO RUNNING, you may walk fast, but no running

We should be able to fill in a few places with chairs, chairs shall be treated as walls, you can reach over them if you have long enough arms, but you MUST go around them, you can't jump over them.

Alternatively we could play a modified version of dodge ball merged with arm the bomb. Players no longer have flag belts, they in turn have nerf balls. You are not allowed to carry more than 2 balls at a time, but you can carry 2 and have several at your feet... Trick is to get the bomb to the enemies flag room and keep it there for 60 seconds to win.

- if you have possesion of the bomb, you can not carry a nerf ball, but if you touch someone with the bomb, it counts as a hit.

- If you can manage to catch the ball, the person who threw it is out

- if the ball hits the floor a wall/divider, a ref... or a chair 1st, its a dead ball

- If the ball hits 1 person, and someone catches it, the 1st person is out like normal.

- For fairness only shots at or above the thighs shall count as not all spartans and troopers have a lot of agility and abilty to bend over.

- IF they are squatting down when you throw the ball, lower leg shots count

- if you get eliminated, you go back to your respawn box, and people respawn every 20 seconds after getting there... one at a time... if 3 people are there at the same time, it will take 60 seconds to get them all back into the game. (this can be tweaked as needed)

+ 1 point for every person who gets eliminated

+ 3 points for tagging someone from behind without them realizing you are there (assassinate)

+ 15 points for arming the bomb

+ 5 points if enemy team is completely elinated at the same time (nobody back in the respawn box yet, all walking back to it)

Assuming we can get a large enough room to do this, how do these sound for general rules?

Sir Blood said:
but you MUST go around them, you can't jump over them.

.......id love to see someone try lol. i dont think i could or want to jump in my armor let alone vault a chair lol

Not to hamper the ideas, but let me throw (no pun intended) this by you. Have you ever put on your helmet and then been beaned in the head by a dodgeball? Think about it. :D

I have a stormtrooper flag for the 501st. If you guys have a flag that's awesome. I've thrown the idea by our coordinator about doing a laser tag style game which would be a lot more fun and look cooler to attendees. This idea is pending cooperation from a local laser tag place, though.

Contagion: Outbreak said:
Not to hamper the ideas, but let me throw (no pun intended) this by you. Have you ever put on your helmet and then been beaned in the head by a dodgeball? Think about it. :D

I have a stormtrooper flag for the 501st. If you guys have a flag that's awesome. I've thrown the idea by our coordinator about doing a laser tag style game which would be a lot more fun and look cooler to attendees. This idea is pending cooperation from a local laser tag place, though.

I don't think it'd be too much of a problem playing dogeball with light, soft, nerf balls amongst ourselves, but I do see what you're concerned about.

Does anyone who's going have a few of the Jasman plaz pistol or plaz rifle laser tag sets? Maybe some nerf guns?

The nerf balls are very soft and very light, you might not even know you were hit if you have reinforced armor on...

I have a pair of the lasertag guns by Jasman... I just don't have a clue where the targets went as I didn't think I would ever have a use for them... I just wanted the guns to go with both of my spartan armor suits.

Just a word of warning if you do have luck borrowing some laser tag guns from the game place... spartan armor is a lot bulker than storm trooper armor in the chest and back region. There's a raised part behind spartan's neck also, so vest type sensors might prove difficult to put on unless the chest/back plate is removed.

Sir Blood said:
The nerf balls are very soft and very light, you might not even know you were hit if you have reinforced armor on...

I have a pair of the lasertag guns by Jasman... I just don't have a clue where the targets went as I didn't think I would ever have a use for them... I just wanted the guns to go with both of my spartan armor suits.

Just a word of warning if you do have luck borrowing some laser tag guns from the game place... spartan armor is a lot bulker than storm trooper armor in the chest and back region. There's a raised part behind spartan's neck also, so vest type sensors might prove difficult to put on unless the chest/back plate is removed.

Nerf balls sound good. How good can you guys throw in your armor? The place I was thinking of for laser tag should be able to accomodate both armor types. I've got scout armor so I've got the huge hump on the back of my armor as well. I'll do some research, though.

If we decided on Nerf guns, they're pretty cheap if everyone who wanted to participate picked up one or two.

brain is taking awhile to engage here. i had 8 sets of functioning laser tag equipment. idk what i have left anymore. if we want to do this ill see what i can dig up. but it will take alot of batteries so i wouldnt be able to afford to do that on my own.each sensor take 4 and each gun 2 and then the 2 bazookas take 4 so thats a total of 56 AA to get it all online assuming it all can be found and works

Just under three weeks to go. Time to finish up whatever you're bringing.

We should probably get together a list of folks who're definitely going, so we all know who to expect.

My fiance and I will be there.

If you are planning on attending Nebraskon and/or will be helping out...

-- email me your real name and I will pass it along to registration.

-- let me know if you are just attending or if you are "helping out"

-- if you don't email me and will be helping out, you will have a runaround for a while at registration and will confuse the hell out of a few people!!!

Helping out means this:

- running a panel/ helping run a panel

- participating in the group activities that the 405th and 501st will be doing

- wearing your costume most/all the convention (give or take taking it off for a few hours here or there)

- helping with security or volunteering in the name of the 405th (couple hours here or there)

Not everyone will be required to do a panel, but wearing your costume and volunteering some are required.

I would hope everyone would want to join in on the group activities we are planning

- cosplay skit that will be planed at the convention for a time filler (we won't have a time limit)

o The skit may or may not take place after cosplay(while waiting for judges)... there is a cosplay swimsuit contest (that will be packed)that we might perform for. We will be working with the 501st for the skit.

- capture the flag event (still working out the kinks, but looks like we'll have one of the 3 very large palace rooms

- I would venture to guess the 405th and the 501st would be allowed to do a joint venture mock fight or skit in the middle of the registration room as its a freaking HUGE room in of itself (we'll figure this out at the convention)

As I am on staff at the convention, I won't count towards the 10 free badges. If you need to track me down at the convention, just ask con ops and they can direct you. I will be helping out at cosplay, swimsuit contest, all the concerts, the dances, anime idol & I am running the fiberglassing panel with Loess. I'll also be at the setup and teardown for those events as well.

Remember up to 10 people who are helping out in the name of the 405th will get in for free. At the door registration is 45$.

I'll edit this post as needed for number of people who contacted me

-

-

-------------------------------- Updated 10/19 4:50 pm cst ------------------------------------------------

-

- ==========>> 2 of 10 people helping out <<========================================

- ==========>> Confirmed 405th members in attendance: 7 <<=============================

-

-

The first draft of the events schedule is live on the Nebraskon site.

There's a panel on there labeled '405th', anyone know who's running that one?

*Edit*

I just got an email from the NebKon staff. I guess I'm the one running the 405th panel.... I'd sent in an application for a panel a while back, but hadn't heard from the activities coordinator till this morning that I had the panel.

My fiance and I will both be there for it, and I've got a bunch of things to bring (some weapon and armor casts, my armor, pepakura demo pieces, etc.), but I'd really appreciate help from anyone else that wanted to come explain the crazy stuff that we do because we love Halo.

Luckily, I helped out at the GenCon panel, so I have some Idea of what I'm doing, and I've got a few of the post cards to hand out, but there's probably some planning that should be done before the panel.

The 405th panel is at 10pm Saturday, an hour after the cosplay contest finishes.

Well, I would start off

Introduce yourself and how long you have been a member

Discuss what the 405th is (long winded version of halo costuming group)

- mention adam as he founded it

- mention about when we started out

- mention the 501st (as a reference) that they started out about the same way we are, they are just a few years ahead of us organization wise.

- how to find us online

- about how many members we have, then about how many people have costumes...

Have pictures of all the different armor perms both spartan and marine

go onto mention the different materials people use to make their armor out of

Try to get a few 405th members to show up during your panel for moral support if anything else (I'll be busy with one of the main events at the time of the panel, so I won't be able to show up)

Talk a little about pepakura

elaborate on that and your panel should be great!

Loess said:
The first draft of the events schedule is live on the Nebraskon site.

There's a panel on there labeled '405th', anyone know who's running that one?

*Edit*

I just got an email from the NebKon staff. I guess I'm the one running the 405th panel.... I'd sent in an application for a panel a while back, but hadn't heard from the activities coordinator till this morning that I had the panel.

My fiance and I will both be there for it, and I've got a bunch of things to bring (some weapon and armor casts, my armor, pepakura demo pieces, etc.), but I'd really appreciate help from anyone else that wanted to come explain the crazy stuff that we do because we love Halo.

Luckily, I helped out at the GenCon panel, so I have some Idea of what I'm doing, and I've got a few of the post cards to hand out, but there's probably some planning that should be done before the panel.

The 405th panel is at 10pm Saturday, an hour after the cosplay contest finishes.

ill gladly help if im outta the cosplay contest. Pm me with details

JangoFett140 said:
ill gladly help if im outta the cosplay contest. Pm me with details

Sweet! I was hoping that you'd be able to come help. Expect a pm sometime tomorrow.

Anyone else is more than welcome to help.

Jim, thanks for the outline, it's a bit more organized and detailed than what Annie and I had started to plan, but it's nice to see that we were on the right track.

I've lost track of the number of public speaches I've had to give, quick outline planning is something I've grown used to.

Alright, preregistration for nebraskon is now officially closed. We roughly doubled our pre reg count from last year ^^;

They have had a number of cancelations, if you are still interested in running a panel and haven't contacted them, then you better hurry up.

Activities@animenebraskon.com

They will still accept panel requests for part of this next week

---

The CTF event is an official go, Right now we have a 1 hour time block for sure on Saturday, but they are trying to work things around to give us 2 hours.

If we can't get more time, we might be able to have 2 different time slots of 1 hour each. if we are limited to 1 hour, we won't use very many barriers, just a few rows of chairs here and there.

You have to physically return your flag to its 'home' before you can score. While you have the flag, you can not shoot. You can't remove your own flag from the flag room, but if the enemy does, you are not required to return it back 'home' (although it would probably be a smart idea depending on time left) We'll fine tune the rules depending on how much time we have. have to discuss with the 501st group to fine tune a few details.

---

I've already made arrangements to be available for the CTF event and should have enough time to armor up. Ender however will be too busy with cosplay stuff as he's the cosplay head. All goes well, I should be in the dance for a while with my Mark VI up on stage. We have several DJ's this year so I won't have to be the sole dj the whole time (and can relax a little in there). I might have a few minutes I can sneak out of concert teardown/dance setup to peek in on the 405th panel. The concert people will have to get their stuff off stage so at the end of the concert before I can do any setting up.

My lighting truss (20 foot long, full of lights) is set on wheels so it can be moved. Lights will be setup on Friday morning and be left at the back of the stage behind a curtain divider for the whole convention. (2 lighting trees will also be setup in the mid edge of the room by my 2nd pair of speakers to ensure full room coverage. My rack and amp stack (2 - 2500 watt amps) should all be on wheels as well for mobility and be on the edge of the stage (behind a side curtain). Quick and easy setup all goes well. Setup Friday will be a pain in the rear as to ensure I can remain mobile around the stage with my rack, I have 2 - 2x4 heavy rubber backed rugs that will be tossed out to cover the wire trail/teather when I am setup for DJing. As I have a freakishly huge light show, the dance should have more lighting than most any dance you have been to ^^;

Sir Blood said:
The CTF event is an official go, Right now we have a 1 hour time block for sure on Saturday, but they are trying to work things around to give us 2 hours.

If we can't get more time, we might be able to have 2 different time slots of 1 hour each. if we are limited to 1 hour, we won't use very many barriers, just a few rows of chairs here and there.

You have to physically return your flag to its 'home' before you can score. While you have the flag, you can not shoot. You can't remove your own flag from the flag room, but if the enemy does, you are not required to return it back 'home' (although it would probably be a smart idea depending on time left) We'll fine tune the rules depending on how much time we have. have to discuss with the 501st group to fine tune a few details.

what are we shooting with??

anyone heard if dreadmullets coming or not?

JangoFett140 said:
what are we shooting with??

anyone heard if dreadmullets coming or not?

I haven't heard back from the 501st yet on if they were able to get ahold of the laser tag equipment.

DreadMullet told me might be able to make it afterall! But the rest of the group he was planning on coming with won't be able to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back