TurboCharizard's Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Link Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. 200 rare earth magnets... That's a lot. The delivery is gonna be complaining when all the metal items in the delivery are stuck to the box.

Wow. 200 rare earth magnets... That's a lot. The delivery is gonna be complaining when all the metal items in the delivery are stuck to the box.

Dude, I don't want anything coming apart and I usually overcompensate hard when it comes to things staying together. The Ancient Arrow has 12 N35 (1.2lb pull force roughly) magnets and the Sheikah Slate has 24 of the same magnet(?).

Last night to prove concept of the chainmaille attached to Velcro for the tunic I looped all the chain (5lbs) through one section of Velcro and started jumping and trying to rip it loose with movement alone. 1lb/sq.inch might have been overkill.

Almost there... LED bag is scheduled to be here today or tomorrow in the mail so the last arrow should be soon.

Thought that I'd take a picture of the stages of fletching to put on the beads, nock then lacing because yay artistic representation of processes.
DSC_0703.JPG

Dear Vallejo, you keep winning me over. They have an awesome line of transparent paints which come in a small number of colours, mostly primaries and a few other difficult to mix ones, are probably the smoothest brush on finish I've ever encountered. Holy jeez. Two coats and they became glossy smooth and almost perfectly uniform in colour. The exception was the blue which I used as a wash to get into the crevices and then wiped away the majority of the smooth surface paint. It was using something that acts like a glaze to do a wash and it felt dirty.
DSC_0702.JPG

Interim glam shot of all the arrows that are at the 95%+ stage. I'll be adding some edge highlighting and calling it done just to get a little more pop out of the colours. Onto the next thing!
DSC_0705.JPG

Very nice! I particularly like the ice arrow. Has a nice look to it with the painted PETG. All of them look great!

Thanks man, I've been doubting the overall look of things. Probably just a side effect of pre-convention con crunch. The arrows are actually a transparent PLA, I was too lazy to change out nozzles on my printer for PETG so I just did a quick purge and tossed in clear :p

I'd like to see a small boxing glove on the end of one arrow..........but these look cool. Your quiver is going to have to be a massive thing though.

The quiver in the game thankfully only ever has 6 arrows in it so at least I don't need to jam any more in. The quiver fits all five of these, I checked but the Ancient Arrow is probably going to screw that up... I might make one with a scroll that rolls out and says "POW" because of you.

Thanks man, I've been doubting the overall look of things. Probably just a side effect of pre-convention con crunch. The arrows are actually a transparent PLA, I was too lazy to change out nozzles on my printer for PETG so I just did a quick purge and tossed in clear :p
Ah, gotcha. You're such a bum. Actually, I started printing something the other day, and it turns out that my left extruder is like a half millimeter higher than my right, so if I print with my left, it just globs up on the extruder. I could just take 30 minutes to fix it, but any true lazy man knows that's not the best way. My solution was to unload the right extruder, load the left extruder's filament in, and just let it be. I actually just crossed the left extruder's tube over to the right, and left the right tube dangling. So how is that for laziness? :p

Ah, gotcha. You're such a bum. Actually, I started printing something the other day, and it turns out that my left extruder is like a half millimeter higher than my right, so if I print with my left, it just globs up on the extruder. I could just take 30 minutes to fix it, but any true lazy man knows that's not the best way. My solution was to unload the right extruder, load the left extruder's filament in, and just let it be. I actually just crossed the left extruder's tube over to the right, and left the right tube dangling. So how is that for laziness? :p

Two extruders? Twice the maintenance? Too much for me man. Imma just buy another printer :p

I've seen reviews on this printer. It has me considering getting one. Convincing the wife on the other hand... hmmm.

The reviews look awesome for it once you get it dialed in. My only concern is the printed parts in the frame, sure they're easy to reprint but I'd rather stick with steel frames of Wanhao and the like.

These are the kind of machines to get yourself into the hobby in style and then acquire a workhorse later I think. A year or two of constant use might be a bit too much strain on components but it's a time will tell type situation really.

Mini update with lots of pictures and not so much typing due to sore fingers from sanding through Saturday and then 10 hours of sewing, chainmaille and hand stitching chainmail to Velcro on Sunday.

Everything that is 3D printed and not finished got a fingernail scratch test for smoothness and then more sanding, and filler primer. Most everything is masked off and ready to go for base colours.
DSC_0710.JPG

I'm really good at estimating. There's 1999 links in my chain and one left over.
DSC_0713.JPG

Here's a picture of about 13 pounds of material and steel and probably close to 45 hours of work.
DSC_0712.JPG

Now onto the leathers and paint for everything.

No its not......If he were that dedicated.....he should have found a home for that last one.......now he's lonely. And sad......away from his brother and sister links.....HOME WRECKER!!!!!

1999 chain mail links..... my friend, that is dedication. I would have gone nuts after 2.

To start a chain in European 4-in-1 you have 4 closed linked in one open so you halfway started :p

Doing the chainmaille wasn't as bad as hand stitching all the chain to heavy duty Velcro in terms of sanity lost. On the plus side, I'm caught up on a bunch of podcasts now.

Dirtdives I think I'll put it on a bit of braided cord and tie it around my waist to use as a business card if anyone asks what my costume is. Yes, I am Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back