Using 3D files for a Plush Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat

Jr Member
I know that a lot of people use 3D files for creating Pepkura templates, but I make stuffed animals/toys from fabric and would like to try my hand at making UNSC or possibly Covenant huggable (sorry if that isn't a word) plushie.
I'm thinking so far of doing possibly Cortana, Chief, and Kat, possibly a Hunter or the Arbiter.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions for programs to use to convert the files to templates (free, preferably) please let me know!

Sounds like a great item......HALO plushies.....You most defiantly can use the 3D files for creating templates for them but they might be too detailed for something like that......Plushies are not the most detailed toy out there....right? Perhaps the foam templates would work better? I don't know...I only sew when I have to close up a seam here or there....I don't know what it all entails.

I mean, you could in theory make a small pep or 3D print, wrap it in tape and then draw seam-lines on that for fabric. That seems like the round-about course of action for creating an object but fabric is black magic to me and digital design is more up my alley.

You have however sparked a couple of ideas in my brain box though.

Ice and keep it elevated.

That might help with the burst blood vessel in my eye!
20525564_10159005101785431_7449975477496437507_n.jpg

Back on topic though, I'm going to go digging through old school Newgrounds flash animation because I remember a LegendaryFrog animation that had cuddly grunts as a gag advertisement. I could be making this up with patchy memory of the early 2000's and mixing it with something that I low-tier always wanted. If I do come up with a pattern of some sort, expect it on here. That or a stuffed Mister Chief.

Might be a week or two, I'm currently updating my NCR Ranger to be more Courier-esque and adding props that are less likely to be flagged as being too close to real-world firearms. Or you know, I might just keep caffeinating myself heavily and I'll have a couple finished off within the work week :p

Sounds like a great item......HALO plushies.....You most defiantly can use the 3D files for creating templates for them but they might be too detailed for something like that......Plushies are not the most detailed toy out there....right? Perhaps the foam templates would work better? I don't know...I only sew when I have to close up a seam here or there....I don't know what it all entails.

After taking a close look at some Pep files I found online I realized that it may be a bit difficult to use them AS IS.
BUT if I can find a way to put them back into Blender or another 3D program and then generate a new file where I can create the seams myself then I could CERTAINLY do this.

After taking a close look at some Pep files I found online I realized that it may be a bit difficult to use them AS IS.
BUT if I can find a way to put them back into Blender or another 3D program and then generate a new file where I can create the seams myself then I could CERTAINLY do this.
Oh YES! I will buy some if you start to sell any.

Also, I had the idea, what if instead of small fullbodies doing just large helmets? Like cool 3D pillows?
Yeah! That sounds awesome. I think you should try Timmy the whale as a first Pepakura-to-fabric attempt. The shape is fairly helmet-shaped, simple, and if you succeed, you could branch out to other more complicated stuff. Or, you could do the Halo 5 Timmy helmet itself!
Halo-5-Timmy-Helmet.jpg
Not sure if you can tell, but the Timmy helmet is literally a whale turned into a helmet.

A plush hunter would be awesome!!! Have you though about making it a Banished hunter? They look pretty cool compared to the regular ones. Though I don't know if the large head would really work for a hunter.

Good luck and I also think Timmy would be a good first attempt.

Perhaps go really fancy and do reversible. One side is USNC and the other is Covenant.

Reactions: Kat
Granted,but how much "3D" can you put in to a pillow? Or even just a plushie....which is smaller that a pillow.....?

Reactions: Kat
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back