Where Do I Start With Making Halo: Reach Armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJM2020 Gaming

Hi!

I was considering making my custom Halo: Reach armor for cosplay, or even just for display. However, I do not know exactly where to start. I have looked for my specific armor pieces but I can't find them all or I don't know what to do with them. I was wondering if someone could either help me find the armor pieces, the tools needed, and the basic steps/prices used for making the armor. Also, if I wanted to use this armor for cosplay, how would sizing the armor work? Thanks!!

Armor (As named in Reach):
Helmet: Mjolnir MK. V CNN
Left Shoulder: Security
Right Shoulder: Commando
Chest: HP/Parafoil
Wrist: Tactical/tacpad
Utility: Tactical/soft case
Visor Color: Gold
Knee Guards: Grenadier

My best guess is to read up tutorials and build threads around here PerniciousDuke has a good detailed one just like CommanderPalmer.

First you'll need pepakura to be able to print your parts. For the models, have a look around in the armory. Should be in there somewhere.

When you have your necessary parts you can start pepping. Cut, graze, fold and glue. Cut your parts out. Graze the fold line with a pen or something sharp ( but not too sharp) fold it in the desired direction and glue the pieces together.

And don't worry about scaling. I started not too long ago and had to redo some pieces multiple times. Not as much as mister Dirtdives with his helmet though :D

One last hint. Some parts are mirrored or you'll need twice. Print just one and build it. Size correct? Print next one. Made too many mistakes with that myself

I'm not sure if I should be honored to stand out, or cringe w/ the notion that I will be forever remembered as the guy who took 8 tries to get his helmet right......regardless, Hein B107 has some good advise. And I will throw some of my own tips in....

If you are going to build w/ foam, I would suggest building both almost at the same time, meaning anything that is a pair (ie boots, shoulders,ect...ect....)....Almost. Obviously you need to insure that they fit, but in order to get symmetry, it's best to build both simultaneously. What you do for one, you do for the other......

Read. There are a ton of threads hear that deal w/ how and and every one of them is like gold. But just like mining, it take effort. Read, Read, Read and then Read some more. It also wouldn't hurt to check out a few YouTube vids on foamsmithing.

You are your own worst critique. You may see a pile of garbage that you put hours into and not happy with, where as someone who is following your thread (Yes build you own thread to document your progress. It helps), may see it as an amazing piece of work that they would hope to build just as good........Don't be discourage and just build your own build. Don't compare to anyone else's.

Last tip:

Take your time. Consider this a marathon rather than a sprint. People can take as much as 2 years or more to complete 1 suit. But the end result will be better for it. Again, don't be discourage if it take so long......let it take as long as needed to finish properly. A rushed piece shows its flaws as much as a precise piece shows it's perfections.

Good luck on your build and I look forward to seeing your progress. Welcome to the 405th.

Last edited:
First step CJM2020 Gaming is figuring out if you want to make it out of foam or fiberglass/bondo (we call pep method). There are a lot of pros and cons all around the site for both methods. Do some poking around, let us know which one appeals to you. Let us know here and then we will be able to help you get started. Either way it's gonna take a lot of reading and youtubing so be prepared!

I looked around on Youtube and found that the Foam method would most likely be easier/cheaper, so I think that I'll use that to build the armor. As for the different pieces, I looked around on the armory and could not find the Chest or Utility. I looked around a bit more for those pieces but still couldn't find them (either I'm blind or they are not made yet). However, I will continue looking.
I will try and find the materials needed (i.e., colors, foam, heat gun, etc.) but that might take some time.

Thanks for the tips and I'll try and keep you all updated on what I find or when I start. Thanks!

Last edited:
I looked around on Youtube and found that the Foam method would most likely be easier/cheaper, so I think that I'll use that to build the armor. As for the different pieces, I looked around on the armory and could not find the Chest or Utility. I looked around a bit more for those pieces but still couldn't find them (either I'm blind or they are not made yet). However, I will continue looking.
I will try and find the materials needed (i.e., colors, foam, heat gun, etc.) but that might take some time.

Thanks for the tips and I'll try and keep you all updated on what I find or when I start. Thanks!

The chest and utilities are hidden under the Mk. V Accessories in the Armoury. The only reason that I know this is because I was there digging around the other day for the Tacpad. If you're still in the planning phase, I'm also jumping into a 3D print and EVA foam Spartan and I'm always down to answer questions here, through messages or on my build thread if you just want a buttload of pictures to follow along with. And as PerniciousDuke said, poking around you can find a lot of gems of knowledge in threads that aren't necessarily even about your specific armour set.

If you're doing the foam method make sure you scale things properly the first time. It can get very expensive if you don't.
Pepakura uses mm for measurements and the easiest way to scale each piece is to use the longest measurement and change it to you're own, print it out, roughly check the fit by taping the pieces together crudely to make sure it looks right. Foam has a thickness too so dont forget to factor that into you're scaling.
Watch punished props video for a reliable way to measure yourself.
Also, start with the easiest piece and go from there. Make the helmet last, by then you're skills will have improved. There's a pretty steep learning curve with foam (or for me anyway.. I suck.) And use SHARP knives, and if you can afford a dremal it will make bevals and curved cuts much cleaner and easier and most importantly as dirt says; take you're time. You won't regret it.

Don't let my words of caution scare you. Once you get a groove its fun. Objectively, foam is the more comfortable and faster material for cosplay armor.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Also, start with the easiest piece and go from there. Make the helmet last, by then you're skills will have improved. There's a pretty steep learning curve with foam (or for me anyway.. I suck.) And use SHARP knives, and if you can afford a dremal it will make bevals and curved cuts much cleaner and easier and most importantly as dirt says; take you're time.

On top of having a rotary tool (which will be going on sale soon because Father's Day is approaching) I suggest getting contact cement for gluing sections together. A lot of people will recommend hot glue for working with foam but it's more hassle than it's worth when it comes to making everything look clean. The bond of contact cement will usually outlast the foam it's connected to and any drips can be peeled/sanded off surfaces, it's only downside is that skull and crossbones label on the side of the container. Hot glue adds volume to the piece and flows out of joins which is great if you don't have perfectly smooth mating surfaces but SUUUUUCKS for hiding seams when you're cleaning up for paint.

The chest and utilities are hidden under the Mk. V Accessories in the Armoury.
I looked in the Accessories and couldn't find the Utility, but that's fine because my dad is in the Military and can provide me with something that looks like the utility I use in Reach.
As for the chest piece, I think the second to last accessory might be the HP/Parafoil, but I'm not entirely sure.

I looked in the Accessories and couldn't find the Utility, but that's fine because my dad is in the Military and can provide me with something that looks like the utility I use in Reach.
As for the chest piece, I think the second to last accessory might be the HP/Parafoil, but I'm not entirely sure.

Definitely in there
upload_2018-4-6_17-33-32.png

upload_2018-4-6_17-35-9.png

The obj file is meant for 3D printing or use in games but can be opened in Blender, Armorsmith or other modelling programs so you can get a better reference to match an existing drop pouch or modify/make your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back