Where to go to cosplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Anwalt

Sr Member
Member DIN
S530
I am relatively new to the whole cosplay thing, and was wondering: where can one go to cosplay? What about weekday mornings? Afternoons? Weekends?

Any places to *definitely NOT*?

I am relatively new to the whole cosplay thing

Hold up... something's not adding up here.

Also,I took mine to a bar once and got the most positive response I've ever seen (including stuff outside of cosplay), and once I sat down at a table people knew to leave me alone.

Last edited:
Sean Anwalt, I just looked through your media... is that green suit your first suit??

My Reach suit is my first suit since I became active again last year. I built a lot of things between 2010 and 2012, like an ODST and several Spartan armor pieces, then took six years off. I checked in every once in a while, but that was about it.

Last edited:
My Reach suit is my first suit since I became again last year. I built a lot of things between 2010 and 2012, like an ODST and several Spartan armor pieces, then took six years off. I checked in every once in a while, but that was about it.
Ah ok, this makes more sense

Well, if I have learned anything from the living with cheif videos, the answer is everywhere!!!

If you havent seen them j highly recommend you watch them all!

Conventions are the easiest and go to answer on where you can wear your costume.

If you want to wear your costume to a non-convention, non-"invited" event (a time and place where someone has specifically requested costumed characters), where ever you go, I would strongly suggest that you contact what management or ownership of the location/area before hand and get clearance before doing so.

I've been doing this stuff for a long time, over 15 years, and I've seen how the landscape has changed. Back in the early 2000s we would "Guerrilla Troop," just show up places in our Armor and hang out or do something goofy, but unfortunately the world has changed. Many places, especially retail locations like Malls, shopping centers, and individual stores have No Mask/No Costume Polices, and with the fact that most Halo Armor is Militaristic/Tactical looking, there is always the possibility of someone panicking and calling the police, even if you don't have a prop weapon with you.

I'm not subscribed to societal norms, so quite frankly if I want to wear it somewhere (e.g. just to get groceries), I'mma do it (while bearing in mind relevant laws and what Cadet said).

But that's just me.

I'd also suggest midnight releases are good places to cosplay! Or free comic days or other local comic events.

Or with a group of friends in public. Or by yourself.

Places not to cosplay: a funeral (unless requested by the deceased or their family), at the hospital while performing surgery or recieving surgery, at an important work meeting.

Basically the rule is "common sense".

Last edited:
Oh another good one is art walks. Maybe not the small weekly ones, but the yearly ones I've seen random stormtroopers at.

Speaking of which I think I'll do that this year for the "art on the ave" thing here in Tacoma in a week or so. Basically just walk on the street as a mobile free photo op.

Oh another good one is art walks. Maybe not the small weekly ones, but the yearly ones I've seen random stormtroopers at.

Speaking of which I think I'll do that this year for the "art on the ave" thing here in Tacoma in a week or so. Basically just walk on the street as a mobile free photo op.
Can you explain what an art walk is? I'm asking for a friend.

Also Sean Anwalt, you should update this with places you suit up to. If you do, I'll do my best to match you 1:1

I went out yesterday to the Newgate mall with my brother. I was in my Reach suit and he geared up in my Halo 4 Master Chief. It was a ton of fun. (We also changed in the parking lot) stopped by the Roosters game store in the mall and got us some pretzelmaker. yum. Also had a lovely chat with our friends at PSC security, which was fun. (lol) Apparently they have a thing about obstructed faces, which is weird because I've been there several times before but it's whatever. The guard did a good job, but was obviously nervous to confront us. No quite sure how to feel about that..... We just walked around outside after that, and a lot of people stopped and asked us for pictures.

I would go to Walmart with the suits, but I live close enough to the ghetto that we share a walmart and they'd think I was robbing them, probably. hahaha

.....Maybe test-driving new cars would be fun... There IS a Ferrari dealer in Salt Lake........

I went out yesterday to the Newgate mall with my brother. I was in my Reach suit and he geared up in my Halo 4 Master Chief. It was a ton of fun. (We also changed in the parking lot) stopped by the Roosters game store in the mall and got us some pretzelmaker. yum. Also had a lovely chat with our friends at PSC security, which was fun. (lol) Apparently they have a thing about obstructed faces, which is weird because I've been there several times before but it's whatever. The guard did a good job, but was obviously nervous to confront us. No quite sure how to feel about that..... We just walked around outside after that, and a lot of people stopped and asked us for pictures.

I would go to Walmart with the suits, but I live close enough to the ghetto that we share a walmart and they'd think I was robbing them, probably. hahaha

.....Maybe test-driving new cars would be fun... There IS a Ferrari dealer in Salt Lake........
Yeah, when I went to the mall in Chicago for an E3 party I didn't wear the helmet while I was walking the isles.
I drove in mine once, broke my thigh buckles but I've since figured out how to avoid that.
The walmart near me is also close enough to the ghetto, so I understand that.

Glad you had fun!

I'm out of town for the month which sucks cause I honestly just want to polish my suit and take it for trial runs before HOD Chicago, but alas I can't.

When I get that Iron Man Mk V suit though...
dear friends beware
the suit that goes anywhere
out to dinner with me
and in my suit I'll be

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back