Wiki!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrogy

So I always look around for ways to make things better..

Lately I've noticed that there's a lot of effort required to find stuff around here. You have to dig around for things, and the workflow for finding something isn't always logical. Some sections have ten stickies or the like.. it gets ridiculous.

We need a wiki.

It can be set up so someone interested in building armor can, for instance, have all the resources for a certain build on a page for it- i.e. Mk IV Mjolnir via pep- with a list of links to all the pep files, an overview of pep, and step-by-step on how to fold, seal, glass, sculpt, paint, strap, etc.

This would be *wonderful* for new people.. and groups that don't make things easy for new people don't survive.

So, here 'tis. I'll be fleshing this out in a bit, I've added some basic templates and set up the wiki for now.

We got a Wikia! It's the right one this time!
http://halocostuming.wikia.com

Old wiki: http://halocostuming.pbwiki.com/
THE KEY IS MOSTLYMJ0LNIR

Last edited by a moderator:
Vrogy said:
i.e. Mk IV Mjolnir via pep

Do you mean Mark VI? IV is presumably Halo Wars, VI is Halo 2 and 3. You've got it as IV on the wiki too.

Nitpicking aside...

I think it's a great idea. I agree with you on the number of stickies, and if the sheer number of them weren't bad enough, most of them have pages and pages of people asking questions and posting irrelevant info that inflates their size drastically.

A wiki would be an excellent way to keep things very well organized, up to date, and free of clutter.

Ruze789 said:
-and if the sheer number of them weren't bad enough, most of them have pages and pages of people asking questions and posting irrelevant info that inflates their size drastically-
Yes. For the most part, the signal-noise ratio is horrible.

Also, not sure what you mean about the IV thing.. ;)

Vrogy said:
Yes. For the most part, the signal-noise ratio is horrible.

Also, not sure what you mean about the IV thing.. ;)

never heard of pbwiki, i would have gone with wikia.. it looks cleaner to me, but yea, great idea!.

Robogenisis said:
I started making one about 2 months ago. I just made the site, then forgot about it... I used PBWiki too.

D'oh! I had no idea it was started.. I'm going to start fleshing out mine later today.. have to deal with some FTP headaches a friend is having first, though.

ya know, i was wondering how on earth we could make it easier to organise everything but i just couldnt think of anything. a wiki sounds perfect, eventualy we can change "read the damn sticky" to "read the damn wiki".

flying_squirl said:
ya know, i was wondering how on earth we could make it easier to organise everything but i just couldnt think of anything. a wiki sounds perfect, eventualy we can change "read the damn sticky" to "read the damn wiki".

So can I sticky the wiki? :D

This sounds like a good idea. You guys now are seeing the second time the boards were flooded to the point of being impossible to find what you need. It just sort of happens, slowly but surely. I remember back when I could page through all the forums in about a half hour, back when I knew where everything was from memory alone.. ah, the nostalgia.. :unsure:

Now theres stuff lost in there that I'm pretty sure will never see the light of day again... I'd love to start cleaning out old posts and stuff,unearthing those lost gems, but it'd just be a ridiculous amount of work.. and it would kill post counts..

Let us know how this goes!

Yeah we should use wikia. But yet super awesome idea! Can I create a wikia account and start one? Paleez!?

Keegan said:
Yeah we should use wikia. But yet super awesome idea! Can I create a wikia account and start one? Paleez!?

You have to 'request a wiki' with Wikia. Which takes a long time. I'm pretty sure we can copy our articles over with a minimum of re-syntaxing if we eventually get it, though.

Have at it- just be prepared to relinquish admin power to the 405th admins.

LastSpartan said:
Is it ok Robogenisis if I put the links of the database on your wiki?
Sure.

Vrogy, I'm not sure about the name. If it's going to be the 405th's wiki, then I think it needs to have a better name than Halocostuming. Also, I think Adam should request it, so that he would be the "owner" of the site.

I think that we should make a request part of the forum so that People who know what their doing can request editing powers on the wikia, therefore we dont have just everyone editing however they like, And we dont have just the mods doing everything.

Xavier said:
I think that we should make a request part of the forum so that People who know what their doing can request editing powers on the wikia, therefore we dont have just everyone editing however they like, And we dont have just the mods doing everything.

One of the strengths of a wiki is that anyone can edit it.. there are no real barriers to entry.
Spammers and defacers are offset by the ability to easily revert changes.

Right now it's open to any editing- the access key is posted on the front page.
http://halocostuming.pbwiki.com/

Vrogy said:
One of the strengths of a wiki is that anyone can edit it.. there are no real barriers to entry.
Spammers and defacers are offset by the ability to easily revert changes.

Right now it's open to any editing- the access key is posted on the front page.
http://halocostuming.pbwiki.com/

eh... i guess, still, there is no way to moderate it?

Edit: Ill spend Saturday transferring the info over there... im not sure how to format it though... never done anything like this.

Xavier said:
eh... i guess, still, there is no way to moderate it?
We can ban IPs, but it's not really that necessary. Reverting an article takes just a couple clicks.

Xavier said:
Edit: Ill spend Saturday transferring the info over there... im not sure how to format it though... never done anything like this.

Awesome! Just take a look at the templates- I'll work on the base one in a bit. You can also take a look at Wikipedia to see what good articles look like.

Lets get people to say "I'll do this section on this date"

im actually working on the pep section right now.

Update: Check out the Pep Section!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back