Mesh's ODST BDU Mk2 (Camouflage MTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mesh's ODST BDU Mk2

It'll be for fixing my DMR onto my back, and it'll probably be like, 2-3 centimeters of Foam in between :b I wouldn't say the DMR is heavy, it's lighter than 500ml I can tell you that much though xP (Yes I know that is a liquid measurement, I picked up a bottle to compare the weight)

Re: Mesh's ODST BDU Mk2

Okay so I debuted at Optimus Comic Con (With a Magnum I made on the fly) and already more work in progress :b
I made a Deployment photo mock-up and there's a few areas I want to update... (The DMR is across my back via hooks, not magnets unfortunately)
View attachment BE9tR9A.jpg

Bit of a beg for attention, but what do you all think? Notice me pleaseeeeee

Also have a few of my favourite photos :D
KHwwXPF.jpgUt4kQoa.jpgLwUQLcC.jpg

Absolutely fantastic! :thumbsupI love the chest assembly and the g/Sgt. mesh patch on it ! the only crit I have is the shoulders the look a little bit small ,but other than that this is amazing!!
Oh by the way what did you build your magnum out of ? it is very well done :thumbsup

The shoulders, Forearms and Helmet are what I plan on redoing, and the Magnum is made the same was as the DMR, Foam base layered with Craft Foam and EVA Foam :)

-EDIT-
Pleaaaaaaasssssseeeeeeeeeeee pay attention to me and give me feedback and stuff

I officially declare you "noticed". Oh wait, that' came out worng. :D

I think personally the thing looks great. You're an asset to the corps, no doubt and you can wear that badge on your armpiece with pride. Loved the pictures, wouldn't mind a couple more.
The only "off" thing I see -which in no way is meant in a negative way- there's something odd about how the Magnum is positioned. I'm not meaning the low position, but I would expect it to be turned 90°, barrel downwards ? I mean, it would look more natural.

But what do I know. :) I think you look fab, that I DO know.

there's something odd about how the Magnum is positioned. I'm not meaning the low position, but I would expect it to be turned 90°, barrel downwards ?

This was actually out of my control, and another thing I need to come back to. The centre of gravity of the Magnum actually forced it into that position. I need to devise a magnet system for when I get to that part again :b

Ah. That explains it. I was starting to doubt myself.

Now about magnets : my experience so far is : great for a photoshoot ect. For walking on a Con ? Not so much.
And I'm not only refering to the simple holding factor of the magnets. The issue on a more crowded Con is danger of loosing the piece without you even noticing it. A unforeseen bump into somebody (best case scenario) or a who's looking for a momento his/her picture with that b*d*ss ODST'er and it's byebye Magnum.

The point I want to make is : do not depend soley on the magnet system. By all means DO implement it, but have some kind of extra security at the back of your head. For all I care a nearly invisable thin nylon wire. It's great to have and I noticed a lot of people think it's cool, but if you're in suit for a complete day on a con, it's not the most secure way to make sure you still have all the pieces when you're heading for home and I can imagine coming home with part X or Y would leave enough people slightly peeved.

Typing this while my 3D printer is spitting out test pieces :). There's something magical about this tool (cause that is what it is, nothing more, nothing less).

It came off several times during the day, so it's really something I will improve :b It's low down on the list though,
My order of modifications and repairs right now is:
1. Adjust and improve Strapping
2. Remake Helmet, make it bigger and start electronics
3. Remake Shoulders and Arms
4. Covenant Carbine :D
5. Magnet and holding systems for the guns

I have until the 28th of May now, as that is my next con and hopefully I'll be all done by then

If you wanna see more cool photos, check my 'Optimus Bristol, UK' Thread in the European section :)

It came off several times during the day, so it's really something I will improve :b It's low down on the list though,
My order of modifications and repairs right now is:
1. Adjust and improve Strapping
2. Remake Helmet, make it bigger and start electronics
3. Remake Shoulders and Arms
4. Covenant Carbine :D
5. Magnet and holding systems for the guns

I have until the 28th of May now, as that is my next con and hopefully I'll be all done by then

In case you'd need some tips or help on the electronics side, just drop me a line. As I'm supposed to be one of 405th's resident eggheads (according to Mara anyway :) ) it will me pleasure to help you out if the need should arise.

Basically, all I need to know is how do I set up a fan to stop me fogging up, and how do I wire it and etc

You can get a 5V fan from DiGikey. They dont need as much voltage... They do draw more current so the watts are par ..

If you are gonna put in LEDs that run on 1.3-3.6 V ( use a resistor ) and a 5V fan o
http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

With only needing 5V you can a use a USB batt . they come in all kinda shapes .
and are usefull for all kinda stuff. a single cell 20 USD pack can last a enire day in costume and it can charge at night in a hour or 2 after every day at the con on a Micro USB charger.

Or 2 AAs 3V DC and THIS 3V fan http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sunon-fans/UF3H3-710/259-1676-ND/4916523

as for the fog. I used a nose dam and I dont need a fan!
It blocks upward airflow and thus keeps my outgoing swwampy breath going down and out

Dude, Mesh, Nice Work! I'm gone for two weeks and you make a killer suit. I love it!

I don't have any improvement suggestions and your mod/repair list seems great. I think you caught my magnet post in marc's thread.. so hopefully you make some progress there.
As for the fan, super easy. Hit up amazon, you should be able to pick up a computer fan pretty cheap, just keep an eye on the dimensions to make sure it will fit inside your new roomy helmet. This is the one I bought and I am very happy with it. And as peterthethinker said, you can use a 2AA battery pack to power it. I used a 9Volt and was later told that I should have gone with the 2AAs. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I lied, I'm doing shoulders first, then Wrists then helmet :b Thank you all for your feedback, I'm actually surprised there are no suggestions o.o

Pics soon, I need to buy more Camo though :b

Okay I've had a killer fever so I haven't done as much work as I would have liked but I have made some shoulders ^.^

0danFZw.jpg
As you can see the old shoulders are sat next to them, I'm very happy with the size ^.^ All the patches will be going across, but sadly the 405th patch has to wait until I turn 18 and can go through the deployment process :'(

Some people were curious to how exactly I did my armour, well the other day I went to buy more Camo to cover the new bits I am gonna make :b I brought Two MTP shirts, in different styles and I'll explain why in the future.
D98frzT.jpg

The one on the Left is the MTP PCS pattern, with the hidden pockets and velcro flap on the front instead of buttons, as well as sleeve patches
The one on the Right is the MTP CS95 pattern, with the visible pockets, buttons etc, it also has no sleeve patches.

For the new wrists and shoulders I will be using the CS95s and the helmet will use the PCS, (I'll explain the PCS when I get to the helmet :) )

My weapon of choice when it comes to the fabric is this little guy
NsdoJbo.jpg
It's hard to see but it is infact a De-Stitcher thing :D

zHRtdlQ.jpg
Here is a bit of Fabric I've freed from the shirt, and I've put the shoulder on it ready for wrapping :D

If you are wondering where it is from, here it is
Ow5Phwv.jpg
(It's a sleeve :D )

That's all the pics I have for now I will update this later :b

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Love those De-Stitcher thingies.........

I'm obviously late to the party but I wanted to chime in on how much of an ingenious and ambitious project this is and how masterful a job you've done on it.
Thanks for sharing your awesome work and results :D

Okay I feel a little bad, I was still ill and I completely forgot I didn't update everyone o.o
kwys52y.jpg

In this picture, you can see 2 completed shoulders, as well as 2 completed arms. The green things? They're going to be part of the undersuit :D The long ones going into the legs, while the smaller ones are almost perfect to sit on the shoulders, so that's where they will go. No helmet progress yet though :( Oh also there's no space for the 405th patch to go back anyway, so that's got plenty of time to find a new home somewhere on the armour, and I haven't printed off a MedRef yet so that's also needed :b I need to find a way to reincorporate the hidden blade back into the wrists too, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back