My Mark VI "Sister" Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
aggggh, can I haz M6 and beautifully awesome chestpiece???!?!?!?!?!? lol it's all looking great!!!! :D I especially like your ingenuity with the hot glue!!!

thanka xD
You could always Rondo the areas that are a little weak. You could pour a little in the affected area, lay a piece of fiber glass cloth or matte down, press it into the Rondo, then pour a bit more over that to strengthen it up a bit. Hope this helps. Everything looks great!:)

thanks for the tips, yeah I was afraid that someone would say more rondo, lol! Arrg how I hate rondo! Its so messy and expensive too. Maybe I will try putting some resin/ fiberglass cloth? At least that is a little bit cleaner and stronger (I think.)

thanka xD

thanks for the tips, yeah I was afraid that someone would say more rondo, lol! Arrg how I hate rondo! Its so messy and expensive too. Maybe I will try putting some resin/ fiberglass cloth? At least that is a little bit cleaner and stronger (I think.)

Yes, of course the resin and cloth will work too.:)

I put self-expanding foam in voids around the bottom of the ribcage. This had two effects. One, it did provide some extra strength in a high stress area, however, it also caused a couple areas to be pushed out on either side due the pressure caused by the expansion. In hind sight I would stick with reinforcing it with fiberglass. Yes, its a bit more pricy and somewhat more "messy" but the results are worth the extra effort.

I put self-expanding foam in voids around the bottom of the ribcage. This had two effects. One, it did provide some extra strength in a high stress area, however, it also caused a couple areas to be pushed out on either side due the pressure caused by the expansion. In hind sight I would stick with reinforcing it with fiberglass. Yes, its a bit more pricy and somewhat more "messy" but the results are worth the extra effort.
take the advice of the teacher. lol very good observations, don't think I could have come up with that. :p

hey Anna!
i love your build, its turning out great! i love the whole black in the recessed areas, it makes it stand out. but i do have a question. im making my own armor, but i dont get it. do i use fiberglass mat/cloth, or rondo, or both? ive heard all 3 so im confused. id like to hear what you did!
UNSC LT commander

thanks for the advice,- I think I am goingto use your tips and probably avoid the expanding foam, I would not want the foam to get into any cracks and break it apart completely lol.
nice work, this is really coming along :)
thankyou
hey Anna!
i love your build, its turning out great! i love the whole black in the recessed areas, it makes it stand out. but i do have a question. im making my own armor, but i dont get it. do i use fiberglass mat/cloth, or rondo, or both? ive heard all 3 so im confused. id like to hear what you did!
UNSC LT commander
Well thanks UNSC LT!
What I, and a lot of other 405thers, do is take the paper model and covered the outside in a thin layer of resin to give it a little bit of strength. Then I combine 1/2 resin and 1/2 bondo (and the bondo hardner) together and pour it into the piece I want to harden. I kinda just move it around so that it covers the inside.- But I'm finding that one layer of rondo isnt really strong enough soo make sure you add enough so that it doesnt break easily.
The lighting looks great as well as the Chest Plate.
thanks thorn!

Well thanks UNSC LT!
What I, and a lot of other 405thers, do is take the paper model and covered the outside in a thin layer of resin to give it a little bit of strength. Then I combine 1/2 resin and 1/2 bondo (and the bondo hardner) together and pour it into the piece I want to harden. I kinda just move it around so that it covers the inside.- But I'm finding that one layer of rondo isnt really strong enough soo make sure you add enough so that it doesnt break easily.
hello again,
so i take it there is no fiberglass mat in your projects? well thats good, cause i did but any haha ^^; but thanks alot anna, its nice to finally get the info from a reliable source.
UNSC LT commander

hello again,
so i take it there is no fiberglass mat in your projects? well thats good, cause i did but any haha ^^; but thanks alot anna, its nice to finally get the info from a reliable source.
UNSC LT commander
yeah as of right now there is none, I may be adding some to reinforce pieces it later. Also you can find a lot more info on this kind of stuff in the forum stickies.

hello again,
UNSC LT commander
you can use fiberglass mat or cloth, it's stronger than Rondo. (half res and half bondo) just make sure if you use it, you lay it down flat, and don't wad it up or it will destroy your helmet. and nice work Anna, I used your hot glue method just now to put my lights in my helm.

yeah as of right now there is none, I may be adding some to reinforce pieces it later. Also you can find a lot more info on this kind of stuff in the forum stickies.
hello once again,
thanks alot anna, youve been a huge help for me. for some reason, i couldnt quite understand exactly what they were saying. plus i figured some people would like to hear about what you did so hehe ^^; anyway thanks again, i hope to see the epicness of your build continue on!
UNSC LT commander

heeey I'm glad to see that you got some good use out of it! I think it really is the easiest and most permanent method to diffusing / putting in lights.
wayyyyyy easier than the cd case method(plus nobody gets mad at me for hackin up thee cd cases ^^)
hello once again,
thanks alot anna, youve been a huge help for me. for some reason, i couldnt quite understand exactly what they were saying. plus i figured some people would like to hear about what you did so hehe ^^; anyway thanks again, i hope to see the epicness of your build continue on!
UNSC LT commander
hey dude, any question you got about fiberglass, just put a message on my wall or somethin.

Well done- I remember my mark 6, didn't turn out as well as yours. For sizing the torso right- the top piece including ab plate should come to just above your belly button, or an inch or two below your rib cage, in my experience.

Kinda random- Annanymous have you installed your face shield into your helmet?

I have made a totally new helmet just like yours- its sanded and ready for visor install.......BUT i payed 30 bucks for the visor and I'm scared to cut it because I have a feeling theres no way to tell how or where to cut the visor

I've seen tutorials where people screw the visor into the helmet and then use clay to fill in the small gaps
( I got to figure out a easy way to do this...)

newvisor.jpg

Your suit looks good!! keep up the work!!

Then I combine 1/2 resin and 1/2 bondo (and the bondo hardner) together and pour it into the piece I want to harden. I kinda just move it around so that it covers the inside.- But I'm finding that one layer of rondo isnt really strong enough soo make sure you add enough so that it doesnt break easily.

Anna.. I use a clear plastic cup ( average party style drink cup at walmart ) I fill bondo up about 4/5 and only use 1/5 fiberglass resin... then I mix in bondo hardener ( because it changes color to show you if its hard ) then i had about 15 drops of fiberglass hardener...

The reason your rondo may be breaking is your using to much Resin to your Bondo.. Not sure but it seems like your rondo maybe to thin.. =D

* I truly have no clue, but I know my Rondo is hard as a brick and I'd be happy to drop mine, and not worry about breaking.. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back