[ Reese's ODST Build - 'Hyena' ]

reesespiieces

[ INTRO ]
Hello! This forum post is just for me to compile the information I've been gathering for my first cosplay, which'll be my ODST 'Hyena'. All of this is hypothetical and set to change at any time, the main focus of the beginning of this post will be sorting out a guesstimate of how much it'll cost me overall. This will include; the 3D printer, materials, 3D designs, paint, and other things once I think of them.

Due to the fact I'm still job searching, I may have periods of inactivity on this thread, but I'll be attempting to update as much as possible as I compile information. Hopefully that's not a huge problem, but I appreciate any advice.

To give a general idea of the way I'll be handling things, I'll be working from the head downwards. This means; helmet, chestplate, shoulder pads, and forearms will be my focus to begin so I'll at least have the basics of an ODST outfit to wear for any conventions this upcoming Fall/Winter.

This outfit will be a heavy gunner ODST, so I'll be going for a bulkier look and will be attempting to replicate Jorge's gun from Halo Reach to contrast the comically short size of myself compared to a weapon for a SPARTAN. Future QOL modifications will be listed, but marked with a * for lower priority and meant to be focused on after it's completely finished.

[ TO DO LIST ]
- Purchase Ender-3 S1 (199.00$) or Ender-3 V3 Plus (329.00$).​
- Obtain files for Halo 3 ODST armour pieces.​
- Figure out BDU to go underneath the armour. (Top & Pants)​
- Purchase chest rig for hidden storage.​
- Decide on colour scheme for stripes on gear.​
- Decide on hyena themed details for armour.*
[ ODST CHESTPLATE ]
- Size to chest keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Redesign decal on the chestplate with new emblem.​
- Modify to set with chest rig for hidden storage.​
[ ODST Shoulderpads ]
- Size to shoulders keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Figure out design with identical or different shoulderpads.​
- Decide on decal for shoulderpads.*
- Add 405th Logo?*
- Add custom logo?*
[ ODST HELMET ]
- Size to head keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Figure out visor colour and creation method.​
- Decide on any helmet modifications to detach and attach.*
- Prepare helmet for hearing modifications.*
- Prepare helmet for microphone modifications.*
[ ODST Forearms ]
- Size to forearms keeping future modifications in mind.​
[ ODST Thighpads ]
- Size to thighs keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Figure out magnetic system for pistol to attach to side.*
[ ODST Legs ]
- Size to calves keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Make easily removable to avoid tripping down stairs.​
[ ODST Feet ]
- Size to feet keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Modify to ensure it keeps space between calves to avoid tripping.​
[ Load Out ]
- Add magnetic function.*
[ Misc ]
- A lil hyena keychain for either gun or armour.​
With all of this in mind, I'll be working on a price list for all of it once I compile a bit more information. I'll also take suggestions for things like; decals, hyena aesthetics, and any tips to make this easy to wear for someone who is short - like me, yes.

Notes;
- Armoursmith Program. (40$)
- Helmet Headphone Tutorial.
- Helmet Microphone Tutorial.
- Weathered Paint Tutorial.
- Strapping Tutorial.
- Mo's 3D Files.

Last edited:
Figure out visor colour and creation method
My visors are vacuum formed, then dyed and chromed. It's something that you are able to do at home! Here is a link to that tutorial:

I have a cost analysis for my suit. Now, it's a foam Spartan, not a 3D printed ODST, so there's going to be a lot of differences in cost. But it may be helpful for ballparking, and for listing expenses you may not have thought about yet.

[ INTRO ]
Hello! This forum post is just for me to compile the information I've been gathering for my first cosplay, which'll be my ODST 'Hyena'. All of this is hypothetical and set to change at any time, the main focus of the beginning of this post will be sorting out a guesstimate of how much it'll cost me overall. This will include; the 3D printer, materials, 3D designs, paint, and other things once I think of them.

Due to the fact I'm still job searching, I may have periods of inactivity on this thread, but I'll be attempting to update as much as possible as I compile information. Hopefully that's not a huge problem, but I appreciate any advice.

To give a general idea of the way I'll be handling things, I'll be working from the head downwards. This means; helmet, chestplate, shoulder pads, and forearms will be my focus to begin so I'll at least have the basics of an ODST outfit to wear for any conventions this upcoming Fall/Winter.

This outfit will be a heavy gunner ODST, so I'll be going for a bulkier look and will be attempting to replicate Jorge's gun from Halo Reach to contrast the comically short size of myself compared to a weapon for a SPARTAN. Future QOL modifications will be listed, but marked with a * for lower priority and meant to be focused on after it's completely finished.

[ TO DO LIST ]
- Purchase Ender-3 S1 (199.00$) or Ender-3 V3 Plus (329.00$).​
- Obtain files for Halo 3 ODST armour pieces.​
- Figure out BDU to go underneath the armour.​
- Purchase chest rig for hidden storage.​
- Decide on colour scheme for stripes on gear.​
- Decide on hyena themed details for armour.*
[ ODST HELMET ]
- Size to head keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Figure out visor colour and creation method.​
- Decide on any helmet modifications to detach and attach.*
- Prepare helmet for hearing modifications.*
- Prepare helmet for microphone modifications.*
[ ODST CHESTPLATE ]
- Size to chest keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Redesign decal on the chestplate with new emblem.​
- Modify to set with chest rig for hidden storage.​
[ ODST Shoulderpads ]
- Size to shoulders keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Figure out design with identical or different shoulderpads.​
- Decide on decal for shoulderpads.*
- Add 405th Logo?*
- Add custom logo?*
[ ODST Forearms ]
- Size to forearms keeping future modifications in mind.​
[ ODST Thighpads ]
- Size to thighs keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Figure out magnetic system for pistol to attach to side.*
[ ODST Legs ]
- Size to calves keeping future modifications in mind.​
[ ODST Feet ]
- Size to feet keeping future modifications in mind.​
- Modify to ensure it keeps space between calves to avoid tripping.​
[ Load Out ]
- M6C/SOCOMs.​
- Add magnetic function.*
[ Misc ]
- A lil hyena keychain for either gun or armour.​
With all of this in mind, I'll be working on a price list for all of it once I compile a bit more information. I'll also take suggestions for things like; decals, hyena aesthetics, and any tips to make this easy to wear for someone who is short - like me, yes.

Notes;
- Armoursmith Program. (40$)
- Helmet Headphone Tutorial.
- Helmet Microphone Tutorial.
- Weathered Paint Tutorial.
- Strapping Tutorial.
- Mo's 3D Files.
Half of the notes in this thread came from that voice call and I love it xD
Something like the rothco bdu is what I and a few other odsts have used for our undersuit, although you can literally just get a normal set of cargo pants and a shirt to go with it from almost anywhere.

You also had the link to Moe's files for the odst armor and then mentioned the visor. The Visor is done by vacuum forming which N8TEBB mentioned previously. Although I'm not sure you want to put petg fumes in your regular oven :lol:

You mentioned the socom smg and helmet attachments so
(Those helmet attachment files were meant to work with the Galactic Armory odst helmet, so you can probably kitbash them to work with Moe's
if not Halo 3 ODST Rookie Armor - 3D Print Files
there is the files they are $10. Also Galactic Armory does sell vacuum formed visors in their shop, although they are scaled to the 100% size for the helmet which is scaled for somebody with a 24 inch circumference head)

Idk if this made any sense or was helpful in any way, but I hope to see your build progress : D

My visors are vacuum formed, then dyed and chromed. It's something that you are able to do at home! Here is a link to that tutorial:

I have a cost analysis for my suit. Now, it's a foam Spartan, not a 3D printed ODST, so there's going to be a lot of differences in cost. But it may be helpful for ballparking, and for listing expenses you may not have thought about yet.

Your cost analysis is a HUGE help, actually! While there's a lot that I'll have to buy on top of similar materials that you did, I was already planning to drop a minimum of 2000 down for the outfit and this helped confirm that it'll probably cost around that much. Especially since we have a lot of similar modifications to the gear, such as the magnets.

The tutorial for the visor is also helpful! I'll have to see if I can follow it to the letter once I get to that step, since I've got a lot ahead of it, but I'll jot it down to keep track alongside your own cost analysis!

Half of the notes in this thread came from that voice call and I love it xD
Something like the rothco bdu is what I and a few other odsts have used for our undersuit, although you can literally just get a normal set of cargo pants and a shirt to go with it from almost anywhere.

You also had the link to Moe's files for the odst armor and then mentioned the visor. The Visor is done by vacuum forming which N8TEBB mentioned previously. Although I'm not sure you want to put petg fumes in your regular oven :lol:

You mentioned the socom smg and helmet attachments so
(Those helmet attachment files were meant to work with the Galactic Armory odst helmet, so you can probably kitbash them to work with Moe's
if not Halo 3 ODST Rookie Armor - 3D Print Files
there is the files they are $10. Also Galactic Armory does sell vacuum formed visors in their shop, although they are scaled to the 100% size for the helmet which is scaled for somebody with a 24 inch circumference head)

Idk if this made any sense or was helpful in any way, but I hope to see your build progress : D

The Rothco BDU is a huge help, it fits the aesthetic I'm going for the undersuit and will help contrast the armour before I have the lower half of it done sometime around November (hopefully). Similarly the helmet attachments are super helpful, even if I'll have to probably kitbash them, but it has the two I was looking at (the MK55 CBRN and Bucks Antennae).

Now, the only question I have is I'm actually looking for the M6C SOCOM, which is the pistol that a lot of ODST have! The SMG is appreciated though for later, since having a sidearm, secondary and primary is always good for a full loadout. But if you have any idea where I could get the pistol files, it'd be appreciated!

Jotting this down for myself, a few Canadian websites that sell filament in bulk.
A few notes on the materials itself;
PLA+ and PETG are good for Canadian summer. Spool3D is Calgary based and you can check their showroom if you want to see samples in person.
I use pla+ for the extra strength compared to pla. petg if you have some ventilation or more space than a small apartment. I've been looking at CosPLA by polymaker because it claims to be stronger than petg, and more sandable.
I havent heard of CosPLA being stronger than PETG , more stronger than regular PLA sure but petg not so sure. I think its just that + more easily sandable. never looked into it really because the price is just not justifiable for what it does when youre trying to get it from germany.

I also print in PLA+ or PETG , if you print PLA just make sure to not leave your stuff in the heat/hot car.
PLA is extremely hard, but it sucks for anything where the temp goes above 30-35 degrees for extended periods.
I'd say Nylon is a pretty fantastic filament for a lot of durable stuff if you can match the requirements
I feel like it goes PLA-ASA-Nylon-PEEK for versatility of filaments compared to their requirements
Maybe add PETG in there between PLA and ASA

Also a monthly membership for an area that has; wood shop, metal shop, sewing room, 3D printers, laser cutters, electronics lab, and much more.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back