Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That setup looks incredible. I may have to beg and bug you for camera parts at some point - I'm planning on a GUNGNIR Gen2 build later on down the line.

Tonight I drilled the hole for the camera and hot glued it into position to test it. I've got to fiddle with the camera angle and depth to get it exact. The external hole is 10mm but the rim of the camera is 1mm thick and can be painted to match the shell of the faceplate, reducing it's footprint to 8mm diameter. With a clean-up, paint and the lights on it should be pretty hard for anyone to see it.

4jSH7yh.jpg

I did some practice walking in the house and performed some simple tasks in the kitchen, wearing the glasses and camera. It's obviously a little different from normal vision and will take practice and some getting used to, but it is FAR better than the standard narrow slots under the eyes as seen in other suits. No more crashing into things and wondering if I'm on the last stair or not. I am one happy little Mr Stark.

I then designed another all-in-one bracket so the camera, video glasses, eye lights and battery/command unit for the VG's will all pull out together by undoing just two screws. Tomorrow I'll fabricate and install it.

Photo showing position of command/battery unit. (An attaching arm for it will be welded onto the eye bracket.)
JiFScOx.jpg

Bendable mounting tab of the camera, ( narrow end of tab to be welded to eye bracket)
zZiEmfY.jpg

Looking great as always, although I have to say the camera at the moment looks like your helmet took a bullet between the eyes haha

Well, as I described above, that visual impact should be minimal.

Update:

Thanks to the recent donations, I'm able to move forward and pick up the plethora of tiny bits I need! Much more to come.

I also modified the in-helmet component bracket as promised. I may add another arm on the other side to hold a voltage regulator.

The torches are for spare eyes and lenses, plus they have a powerful earth magnet in the clip I can use.

tkbsgsj.jpg

EgGKJZK.jpg

Absolutely Incredibly Amazing!!!! I have never seen anything like this before. Rober Downey Jr. might get to play Iron man in the movies.
But nothing comes close to making your own!!!!!

AAAAAAAAA+

^^^ Cheers dudes. :D

Update:

It's hard to get both displays showing in a single phone-camera lens, but they both work wonderfully. You can see the tab I added in the middle which holds the camera.

uFtCYUS.jpg

I'm thinking about other possible locations for the geared motor. I was thinking of having it in the chest and the cables run to it, but if I can get it in the helmet, much better! Here, (bottom left) It sits just on my jaw, not hard but comfortable.

PwUwOGJ.jpg

Try to imagine this with the faceplate all painted an anodised gold. The camera hole will be neatened up and the rim of the camera lens also painted matching gold. With the lights on, it shouldn't be too imposing.

kPcuNx9.jpg

Is there anything that you don't know how to do? This build just combines so many different fields and aspects of cosplay into one, I think the only thing you're missing is a custon water-cooling undersuit and you would become the lord over all Iron Man builds :p

^^^ Cheers dudes. :D
Try to imagine this with the faceplate all painted an anodised gold. The camera hole will be neatened up and the rim of the camera lens also painted matching gold. With the lights on, it shouldn't be too imposing.
]

I was thinking, couldn't you find a gold motorcycle helmet visor and maybe cut it fit over the camera lens?
So you could get a one-way mirror effect? I'd imagine it'd probably screw with the ability to see out of it.
That way the lens is less obvious, and you could still see out.

I was thinking, couldn't you find a gold motorcycle helmet visor and maybe cut it fit over the camera lens?
So you could get a one-way mirror effect? I'd imagine it'd probably screw with the ability to see out of it.
That way the lens is less obvious, and you could still see out.

Yep, had the same idea myself this morning.

I found these cheap sunnies to chop up and cover the camera. Slightly different colours, to try and get a close match once the paint is chosen. With the entire faceplate painted gold, the camera should blend in fairly well.

udqcAT4.jpg

8diBK9A.jpg

9JDasN6.jpg

6gKu98H.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is there anything that you don't know how to do? This build just combines so many different fields and aspects of cosplay into one, I think the only thing you're missing is a custon water-cooling undersuit and you would become the lord over all Iron Man builds :p

Thanks dude. :D

If I can use the amateur engineers thesaurus in my head, I might be able to fill in the joint gaps and perhaps even do away with the need for an elaborate under-suit.

First I tried metal plates on thin foam rubber. Keeping in mind they would be painted red, they looked fantastic, but unfortunately with my arm in there and bent, they just crushed up on each other, stopping me from getting the full bend of the elbow.

Next test was vinyl. Doesn't look as spiffy but it works.

rFtDQvf.jpg

bw7qrZz.jpg

ll20PWa.jpg

nP0Yqa0.jpg

vw7AvGo.jpg

That setup looks incredible. I may have to beg and bug you for camera parts at some point - I'm planning on a GUNGNIR Gen2 build later on down the line.

Depending on what you want to do exactly, I advise you to take a look at a Mobius action camera.

The resolution on those is pretty much fantastic (1920x1080p@30Hz, not quite good enough for High Speed FPV Quad Racing which looks a lot better at 60hz but perfect for normal use), it can be modded into absurdity with other lenses, extenders, battery upgrades and what-not, and it permits you to both record and have a live-video feed all at the same time.
I also can take still frame pictures of reasonable quality (2300xsomething).

Things go on Ali/DX/Banggood starting 60USD or something with 140° lensunits. If recording capability is not important you can go for a cheaper solution (car backup camera module for example), or a security cam module with a wide angle lens. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAL-700TVL-...-Camera-Module-2-1mm-Wide-Angle-/262249758293

Those glases Sandbaggers' using are a very popular model of "personal cinema" goggles, they can be had starting 80USD like these

http://www.amazon.com/Excelvan-Port...&sr=1-8&keywords=mobile+theatre+video+glasses

I've used a lot of cameras so far but In terms of picture quality, *nothing* comes close to the mobius line at that price. (busy modding my MKVI with live feed and capture capabilities as we speak and hoping to test it at FACTS 2016 Gent by april).

I've "some" experience with that stuff too, so if you ever need some kind of help or advise I'm all rears. :)

PS : yesyes, as RobotChicken will point out below, that's a very painful typo which at no point was meant to insult anybody.

@ RobotChicken : yeah, I saw it, was still adding some stuff hoping nobody would notice. :) Bwah, going to be a sport about it and let it be as is so everybody can have a laugh at my expense. :)

@ Sandbagger
Please don't be angry with me for writing this, and I was wondering if I'd write this as I don't seek to insult you or bring you down/rain on your parade or whatever.

I'm going to be brutally honest here and I can imagine a lot of people totally disagree with me but : when I saw that picture of that camera hole between the eyes ... I was gutted.
Like NOOOOOOOOOOO what have you done ?
I didn't forget you can fix about anything, but this ... not sure. I really hope you will prove me wrong. No scratch that, I'm COUNTING on you to do so !

Up till now, each and every part of your build has been ... out of this world.
But this ?
I fear it will be hard to let it blend with the rest of the armor.
Also, from my own experience with cameras, they don't take too kind in terms of light conditions once you put on such a gold-metalic window over them.
Visability will still be there, but not nearly as good as without. As you're not looking to do any video-capturing that's nothing to worry about too much, but still : these cams become quite prone to video-noise when dealing with low-light conditions.

I understand the material type and layout of the helmet doesn't allow for much trickery.
But you could have tried less invasive solutions no ? Mounting the cam module underneath the chin for example, like the fan opening.
If recessed far enough, you could even keep it outside the helmet and it would still give you an excellent viewing angle and it would not be immideatly visable.
Or using a smaller module inside one of the corners of the eyes.

*hides*
*please don't kill me Mr Stark* :)

Last edited by a moderator:

That's something I'm good at making and have in my halo armor! ;)

RE: Camera location - I considered the mouth slot, the chin, the top vent, the chest and many other places. I have opted for the middle of the eyes because it places the point of view in exactly the spot (height/level) where my normal vision would come from, thus reducing conflicts between body-motor movement and visual signals to the brain.

As I will be wandering in between hospital beds, knee-high children, life-support machines, drip stands etc, i am willing to sacrifice a little movie accuracy for safety and functionality. Vision in this case is paramount!

I am quite sure I will complete the helmet with a visually low-impact solution and still be able to keep the camera here. You are seeing it in the raw during development, which is always a risk in showing people, because the nature of people is that we don't all share the same project vision/outcome. I also have several aesthetic back up plans in mind so there are plenty of options to keep it where it is.

The camera will stay where it is as SAFETY in those hospitals for the reasons I described above is more important than anything. I am quite sure that sick kids are not going to be disappointed by it.

I will make it look good though, trust me.

Edit: I also trialled lighter and darker tints to see if it dropped the LUX on the camera. Long story short - it's fine. This is by no means my final solution over the camera, but it works.

I will make it look good though, trust me.

I too was a bit worried that it would be too noticeable, but everything you have done on this bad boy is amazing. So keep doing what you do and I'm sure that it will look just as awesome as the rest of it. :thumbsup

Having been on the receiving end of a hospital visit like you intend to do, Sandbagger, I can assure you the kids aren't going to notice much difference. Totally do something wrong? Yeah they'll rip you a new one for it, but if you can colormatch the lens cover fairly well it will slip right past all scrutiny.

@Sandbagger :
I'm glad you didn't take my posting the wrong way. By no means did I seek to negate the unbelievable work you've done so far (and so LONG ! Some people seem to forget that sometimes) and I already told you what I think about you and the reason for you making this armor.
No need for me to get into that.

I fully understand why safety is of primary concern to you and I trust you've not made that decission to place the camera there lightly.
Heck, I would NOT be surprised you still had second thoughts the moment you drilled the hole. :)

I've just started a little thread in the props part of the forum that covers cameras&co because I've not seen too much info (if any) here about this, with exception of your build.
I've done some experiments too, and at least the cameras I used both work splendid underneath the chin : the wide angle of the cam makes sure no real problem exists between head movement and space awareness so I know it is possible to avoid the position you chose without making concessions to security - at least on my build.

I've no doubt you'll prove me totally wrong and your building prowess will result in a quote like "hey Kris ! look here ! and YOU thought I wouldn't be able to pull it off" but seeing a helmet that is SO FANTASTICALLY made appear with the obvious traces of a succesful headshot made me stagger.

So please, do continue to amaze us and prove how wrong this one who openly dared to doubt you will be. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back